cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tankless Water Heater

tanklessreview
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to purchase tankless water heater tank , you must read about Tankless water heater from here. It will help you to know about which product is best suited for you. ***Link Removed***
13 REPLIES 13

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
abom2 wrote:

BTW- you do not want to have the cheap charcoal water filters on your fresh water line. Those little pellets will end up in your coils, reduce flow, and in some instances will cause the safety valve to lift. I have had that happen once. Took a few hours to clean and clear the system.

{tankless} It is o.k. for those who will have full hook ups most of the time with only one or two days running on internals.

Did carbon cause same problems in regular tank heater? I have just ordered "Block Carbon" 0.5 micron CBC-10 carbon cartridge. Though it's not the cheapest carbon - cheap are 10 micron and cost 2 times less. My "block" must be thicker/harder carbon.

There is no running water where I am, so I guess a regular tank heater will do.

No problems with the standard water heaters. I would drain the tank periodically and treat for scale.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
abom2 wrote:

BTW- you do not want to have the cheap charcoal water filters on your fresh water line. Those little pellets will end up in your coils, reduce flow, and in some instances will cause the safety valve to lift. I have had that happen once. Took a few hours to clean and clear the system.

{tankless} It is o.k. for those who will have full hook ups most of the time with only one or two days running on internals.

Did carbon cause same problems in regular tank heater? I have just ordered "Block Carbon" 0.5 micron CBC-10 carbon cartridge. Though it's not the cheapest carbon - cheap are 10 micron and cost 2 times less. My "block" must be thicker/harder carbon.

There is no running water where I am, so I guess a regular tank heater will do.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just noticed Winne is using tankless in their Sprinter/Transit based C's. I'm sure it saves a little space, and the weight of six gallons of water. I like our heavy, bulky Suburban dual source SW6DE
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased and installed an Atwood a few years back. I guess one would classify me as a "Workamper".

DrewE pretty well covers it. I like mine and not taking "Navy Showers". I had to in the service but now I make adjustments as needed so I do not have to. Personal choice.

When moving from one project site to another I do overnight in rest areas and such. I have a 40 gal freshwater tank. With DW and myself the water holds out for two days. We do not conserve.

If we boondocked I would want my regular dual source hwh back. Sometimes I wish I had never swapped out.

Why would I like to swap back? My tankless can get finicky. For unknown reasons there are periods of time that it will pop the safety on coil. One must go outside and reset it. I have not found the scenario that causes it yet.

It is o.k. for those who will have full hook ups most of the time with only one or two days running on internals. Propane use is down, as well as electric. But it is not perfect solution. There are trade offs. If only camping a few months out of the year I would not install one.

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without fail, the loudest voices on these tankless threads are most always those who do not have one! Speculation and fear of the unknown.

Our Precisiontemp unit works great and uses much less propane than the old tank style units on previous RV's. Facts don't lie.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
To heck with that advertiser. Good job, moderator. I'm watching all the movies and shows on PVR only, skipping commercials, don't need this noise here either.

Please somebody explain - in a few words - what are the benefits of tankless compared to 4-6 gal heater in moderate to warm climate (always above freezing). Less water, less propane, longer/cheaper lifespan?

None of those (well, I don't know about lifespan, but traditional water heaters have a long life if taken care of anyway). The main advantage is being able to take a long shower without running out of hot water, which really is only applicable if you're someplace with full hookups since otherwise you're just limited by the tank sizes. A second advantage I guess is not having to wait for it to warm up after it's been off before using hot water.

Proponents will claim that it uses less propane because it's not keeping some water hot all the time. In theory that could be true, but in practice any differences are negligible at best and, at least in sticks and bricks houses, offset by a tendency to use more hot water.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
To heck with that advertiser. Good job, moderator. I'm watching all the movies and shows on PVR only, skipping commercials, don't need this noise here either.

Please somebody explain - in a few words - what are the benefits of tankless compared to 4-6 gal heater in moderate to warm climate (always above freezing). Less water, less propane, longer/cheaper lifespan?

NC_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
Go to the Jayco Owners forum and you'll find scores of posts on Tankless. Most of them relevant to the Girards as that's what Jayco picked.

I'd venture a guess it's 80/20 or 70/30 against Girard tankless.

We replaced the Girard tankless in our Greyhawk with a Suburban 6-gallon model. Jayco covered the swap as a warranty item for which we are very appreciative.
2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Jayco Owners forum and you'll find scores of posts on Tankless. Most of them relevant to the Girards as that's what Jayco picked.

I'd venture a guess it's 80/20 or 70/30 against Girard tankless.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I dont know what brand the OP was hawking but I was looking at the new Atwood unit and it looks promising. I think it's the only one that has a variable heater (16 to 50K BTU). It also has the biggest heater (according to Atwood).
Anyone looking at demand heaters should check it out.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
You ought to read the forum rules before attempting to advertise for free here on the forums. :S

Let's see what happens.. Not all advertisements get deleted. Same as sales ads, many do, some don't..

I guess it is how the moderator interprets the post?
To me, this one is an advertisement.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Part of the advice was good to read about tankless in this Forum by searching. IMHO unless one has a Park Model tankless is NOT the way to go....but I'm not an expert nor do I have one.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tanklessreview wrote:
If you are planning to purchase tankless water heater tank , you must read about Tankless water heater from here. It will help you to know about which product is best suited for you. ***Link Removed***

Now that didn't work for, did it? You ought to read the forum rules before attempting to advertise for free here on the forums. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380