cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Added note, the power factor on my Shumacher is 0.8.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a battery charger with me too. Although, boondocked once for 4 days with Champion's 3500 open synch. I ran it twice a day for about an hour each. I was strict with light and water use. What you have for backup charging and your use of power, you should be fine. Find a way to turn off or isolate the converter and you can pull off running individual loads as well.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:
If you deep discharge, I think you'll have a problem. With daily maintenance, it should not be an issue. You will pull almost if not a little more than 1000 watts.

I can live with that. I have an contractor 3500 Watt generator now. I don't like to use it more than 2-3 hours a day because of the noise. I'm finding this isn't enough to maintain the batteries. After 4-5 days they are very low.
We only use lights sparingly. The only other items running off of the batteries are the water pump, the fridge and water heater igniters and the LP/CO detector.

Could I use a standard battery charger connected to the Champion in cases where the batteries have discharged more than the WFCO can handle? I have a Schumacher SSC-1500A 2/10/15A charger.
If I do use another charger should I disconnect the batteries from the WFCO?

Thanks
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Angus_NB wrote:
After reading 40+ pages of the 171 in this thread I was nearly convinced that a trip to Costco was in my future.
The following has me concerned though;

Searching_Ut wrote:
Biggest issue I have is that the little champion just doesn't like my WFCO 55 amp converter in my TT. The power factor on the converter is .67, which is murder on the generator. If I let my two type 24 batteries drop down to about half charge, the converter draws right around 700 watts when I first plug the trailer in to the generator. With that much of a reactive load the overload trips right around 700 to 720 watts, so half the time when I first plug the trailer in, it kicks the overload. Trying other less reactive loads I can get up to 1600 watts, sometimes slightly higher. The other issue with the converter in the TT is that the generator tends hunt a fair bit throttle wise when trying to power the TT with nothing else on, which is something it doesn't do nearly so much with other loads. On an intersting side note, I borrowed a little 2 cycle 1000 watt generator which is only rated for 800 continuous and it works great with the power convertor in the TT.

I have a WFCO WF-8955PEC in my trailer. My main purpose for getting a generator is to recharge the two Group 24 batteries.
Is there something I can do to verify that the CPE 2000i is going to work for me?
I don't mind buying one and trying it out but I don't want to find out it can't charge my batteries when I am 100s of miles from home.

If you deep discharge, I think you'll have a problem. With daily maintenance, it should not be an issue. You will pull almost if not a little more than 1000 watts.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
#40Fan wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote:

As for my situation, I don't want to go into details on how I'm being taken care of, but suffice to say I'm happy.

What? Why not? I am sure that we would all like to know what they are doing to remedy your situation. Without facts we are only left to speculate.

Details would be nice and cut into speculation. Like 'Joe Friday would say, just the facts.'

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Old & Slow wrote:
PrivatePilot wrote:
bradyk wrote:
Dennis maybe can add to the burping issue on our gennys, Seems pretty common out there that no one has a magic answer for. I didn't notice it so much but the wife pointed out to me last weekend. I wouldn't put it in the deal breaker category but is it something that is going to get worse or maybe an internal component going to fail down the road. Maybe Dennis can read many of those posts and throw us some ideas.

It's nearing the "it's going back to the store" category for me, depending on how it behaves this weekend at a outdoor jamboree we are attending. It'll probably be running about 16 hours a day for 3 days - if at the end it's still burping and wandering it's idle all over the map I think mine will be going back in the box and back to Costco.

I love the little Champ when it's running right, but this burping and wandering throttle issue *IS* a deal breaker for me.

What a difference a day makes. From a minus to a 'possible' plus for Champion.
The CEO Mr. Dennis Trine with (CPE) must have known all along about the problems with the Champion 2000i. With the coming of the fix, just like that. Bingo. What the fix for the leaking and burping is *is* will be one of the most watched for posts, I think in the history of RV.Net.

I continue to be in the hunt for a nice priced Inverter Generator that has many and mostly good reports.

Still waiting for the 'fix' to be posted concerning the safety issue of the leaking Champion 2000i's and the overload kicking the Champion 2000i off sometimes at around 700/800w and the burping or hunting issue. Now we read that twin Champion 2000i units are failing to operate the 13,500 A/Cs.

bowmaga
Explorer
Explorer
Zedd, I am having the same problem with my on board onan generator. It will run good for 5 minutes maybe and then surge, then almost die. If there is a big load on it, it will die sometimes, other times it won't. after it surges to 135, drops to 90 then it will level back out...and run ok for awhile. My rv and genny run off the same 90 gallon gas tank. This problem has happened on my last 2 trips. On the way home from both trips, if I hammer down on my gas pedal, the 460 will start to spit and sputter. not necessarliy back fire, but it cracks like its spitting out air. I think its the gas. I filled up with 83 gallons of fresh fuel prior to my first of 2 trips. I'm going to try some lucas oil octane boost. I think its bad gas from the station, ethenol or something with the 87 octane they are producing now. I've talked to other people whose lawn mowers are starting to do the same thing. I've already ran sea foam and dry gas through it plenty thinking it may be moisture. no help.

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
After reading 40+ pages of the 171 in this thread I was nearly convinced that a trip to Costco was in my future.
The following has me concerned though;

Searching_Ut wrote:
Biggest issue I have is that the little champion just doesn't like my WFCO 55 amp converter in my TT. The power factor on the converter is .67, which is murder on the generator. If I let my two type 24 batteries drop down to about half charge, the converter draws right around 700 watts when I first plug the trailer in to the generator. With that much of a reactive load the overload trips right around 700 to 720 watts, so half the time when I first plug the trailer in, it kicks the overload. Trying other less reactive loads I can get up to 1600 watts, sometimes slightly higher. The other issue with the converter in the TT is that the generator tends hunt a fair bit throttle wise when trying to power the TT with nothing else on, which is something it doesn't do nearly so much with other loads. On an intersting side note, I borrowed a little 2 cycle 1000 watt generator which is only rated for 800 continuous and it works great with the power convertor in the TT.

I have a WFCO WF-8955PEC in my trailer. My main purpose for getting a generator is to recharge the two Group 24 batteries.
Is there something I can do to verify that the CPE 2000i is going to work for me?
I don't mind buying one and trying it out but I don't want to find out it can't charge my batteries when I am 100s of miles from home.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

byates
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the night time weather for the month of July in Outer Banks, NC. Temperatures ranged from the 70s to 80s.
I don't think that this generator's shortcomings can be blamed on weather conditions, or even the EPA. Portable generators operate daily around the world in extremely hostile environments. Fact is performance and safety issues have been documented on this thread from day one of its reported premature release. This fact cannot be explained away.

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it was hot and humid, but the temp was in the 80's overnight or shall I say, in wee hours of the morning. I did pop the breakers on my run at home with just AC unit, before my trip. When I run the AC unit on the Champion inverter twins, I bring the thermostat all the way down so it won't cycle. I'll have to play some more when I get home. Weather finally broke here in Outer Banks.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

MrWizard
on occasion i have placed the generator on the curb side of the RV, IF that is the shaded side and its HOT and passed the rv cord under the RV to the generator

when we had the pace arrow, the genny slide and storage was on the curb side, with the awning, so it was usually shaded

with the Komfort and the current Safari the portable storage is on the street side, but i will move the genny into the shade IF I have too

IF we're so hot we must have the A/C then having the genny on the 'wrong' side is NOT going to make one 'bit' of noise difference to us inside

of course i have One more option, I can run the BIG Onan on LP, but i really hate to do that, especially a night, the Onan is under our bedroom,
because of wear we camp, i can usually use it IF I have too, but I choose NOT too unless there really is NO choice,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:

I traveled to the Outer Banks, NC just the other day and boondocked in a church parking lot for a few hours. Because of the heat and humidity that night, the twins powered the AC unit only and while laying in bed, the power went out.

Randall

We still have a lot to learn about the limits and functions of the power module in these units.

I "think" you are referring to one of those 100+ degree days? I was not too far from you and experiencing the high temps too (Emerald Isle, NC). Thank goodness for the cool breeze coming off the ocean!

Going into overload makes me wonder if there is a heat related problem, maybe an overheat sensor in the module that clicks off at a set temperature? Data given to us by CPE does not tell what to expect at high temperatures.

Another thought - heat load and A/C units.... the higher the temperature the higher the pressure of the freon gas on the head side. This makes the compressor work harder and thus current demand rises. Cycling the compressor in these conditions can drive the starting current through the roof (so to speak). I normally turn the thermostat down to a point where the compressor will not cycle.

All it takes is one twin to overload and the second follows suit. I do not like the design of that feature, but nothing I can do to change it.

Anyway, I have a feeling the extreme heat might have changed the menu enough to cause the problems - perhaps from several sources coming into play all at once. Not what we want, but perhaps what we were given.

You really cannot compare power from a commercial grid to generator power. You do not have the giant behind you pushing with a generator that you have from the big guys.

Sorry you had to sleep in the heat - or perhaps try to sleep. I hate a hot, sweaty bed and will get up to take a lot of cold showers when I must survive under those conditions. A good fan that runs directly off of 12 VDC, flashlight batteries or a 120 VAC fan connected to a fully charged battery and portable inverter help when you can blow the air directly at your body. It stinks with no A/C on a hot night, doesn't it? How did our ancestors survive?????
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
orionpaxx wrote:
hey guys,

what do you find is the easiest why to clean the spark arrestor? where do you get replacements?
all is still going great with my pair powering the coffee wagon.

Jay

Jay, also, I noticed that you posted something back in June about one of your gensets giving you a problem. What was the resolution, what did you find?

I traveled to the Outer Banks, NC just the other day and boondocked in a church parking lot for a few hours. Because of the heat and humidity that night, the twins powered the AC unit only and while laying in bed, the power went out. I slept anyway and went out 4 hours later, gennies were still running and in overload. I turned them off and restarted them. Turned AC unit on. While recooling the camper and feeding the kids, the AC unit sounded like an overload was occurring and the power went out.

My converter is on its own circuit breaker and was off. The fridge and water heater set to propane. No other power being used.

Since being at the campground here in OBX, AC unit has been running for at least 48 hours straight on shore power and there has been no problems.

Randall
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
orionpaxx wrote:
hey guys,

what do you find is the easiest why to clean the spark arrestor? where do you get replacements?

Jay

I used some carb cleaner and a soft tooth brush to prevent breaking the finer screen found inside.

Randall
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

orionpaxx
Explorer
Explorer
hey guys,

Jay