cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
I am at work off my phone right now so don't want to a type a long one. I will post what information I have when I get home this evening. It is not a lot but I can give a bit of insight. I will know more when my parts arrive.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
byates wrote:
DennisCPE wrote:
All - I posted for the reasons I indicated. Regarding the rough idle or burping issue I am collecting info from my engineering team and will post that next week when I am back in the office.
Regarding #C40fan, I have asked him to call me when I am back in the office.

Realizing that you have been blocked from posting, perhaps you could relay your findings and solution to fix the defect through one of the thread posters you used previously.

Many readers of this thread would appreciate your promised follow up.

Boone Yates

My guess is we may need to get the news through the posts of those folks who have talked to Champion recently. I too wish we could get a message in follow-up from the CEO of Champion. A quick fix was listed shortly after the post in quote from CEO (DennisCPE)
Hope the fix will cover all the defects posted by owners.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
toprudder wrote:
professor95 wrote:
The RV furnace is the biggest user of 12 VDC power in your RV. It takes a lot of battery to keep the furnace blower spinning fast enough for the sail switch to keep the furnace running.

Not always the case. In my old camper (28' class C, no slides) on a night that dipped down to 35 degrees or so, I paid close attention to the furnace. It would come on twice an hour, and run for 6 minutes. It pulled 10 amps while running. That equates to 2 AH per hour of operation, or 16 AH over an 8 hour period. If you turn on just a few incandescent lights, that will pull more out of the battery. I suspect, though, that a pulsed high-current load will bring down a battery quicker than a smaller continuous load, given the same apparent AH discharge.

I have not paid much attention to the heater in my new camper (20' toyhauler), but I have boondocked on a night that dipped down to freezing and still had more than half the charge left on my single G24 battery. No lights, no TV, only the fridge on propane (about 1A load when running).

Bob R.

Well Bob, I must say that you have an extremely well insulated camper! For every "rule" or situation there is always an exception. I would be elated if our 38' Cedar Creek triple slide fiver could keep us warm (68 to 71 degrees F) in 35 degree weather by only running 12 minutes out of an hour. BTW - the CC is cold room tested to zero and is extremely well insulated with tight fitting gaskets on the slides.

My load measurements were similar to yours at 12 amps with the fan running. Yes, incandescent and halogen bulbs can quickly suck a battery down which is why I have replaced 90% of my lamps with LED units. But, even with the old array of halogen it worked like this: 6-20W lamps in the LR/K ceiling, 4 more 20W lamps in the hall and bathroom. The remaining halogen were 10W units that also totaled 10.
Add it all up and we have 300 watts, or if you prefer 300/12.6 = 23.81 amps, which is a lot of load. But, we do not light the camper up like a Christmas tree. So, if we only use four of the 20 lamps at any given time we drop to a little less than six amps. Overall their duty cycle comes out less for us that the furnace fan on a cold night. Of course, switching to LED's has saved us even more in wasted power as our previous 300 potential watt load is now about 40 watts if all of the lights are on (a few incandescent and hallogen bulbs remain).

I know, this is picky and trivial, but the furnace is one heck of a battery and propane burner - which is why we also use indoor safe LPG catalytic heaters when boondocking in the colder temps rather than the furnace.

Whatever the loads are on a battery we will eventually need to recharge with some form of auxiliary power. When our solar panels don't, the gas generator comes into play - as does the converter/charger. This brings us back to the beginning - either juggling the manner in which we charge batteries or sizing a generator to handle the converter/charger load.

One approach that has not been mentioned is if you are using paralleled 12 volt battery banks you can install a marine type battery selector switch to isolate batteries. I have such a switch that has 3 positions - battery bank A, bank B or both. I keep one bank in reserve and draw power from the other. If the charge load is too great for both, drop back to a single bank, let it charge and then go to the next bank. This allows a smaller inverter genny to operate an otherwise power grabbing charger and should negate hauling around a smaller portable automotive battery charger.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
Some folks don't use tools. Will the Owners of the Champion 2000i be able to take their units to a Champion repair shop and get the fix? What about the new units on the market?

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
vandoc wrote:
I've had 2 of these Champion generators with a parallel kit for a month now. This past weekend I had problems with one of the generators starting. There was a great deal of resistance on the pull start, and I couldn't start it as a result. The 2nd generator has the burping issue that's been described here. I wound up returning both generators because of the issues. The units paralleled ran my 13,500 AC unit fine at 6,000 feet elevation. They would not run both the AC and microwave at the same time with eco mode off. I was considering returning the generators because of the burping issues; the last issue with pull start problems was enough to convince me to return them. These were the Red color with a build date of March 2011.

Not long ago the above gens were built. So, this special fix coming down the trail (Fed-X) must be a late comer. Maybe all it took was the CEO Mr. Dennis Trine to get on the case. Now we can look forward to hearing the leaking/burping/hunting and low demand of 700/800 watt cut out (overload) issues are solved. This sounds like a miracle for the Champion 2000i ~ Christmas is here early, for some lucky folks.

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
As to Christmas and what is is the box, I don't know yet other than it is a few parts and some instructions. That is why I can't say much as I don't have enough details yet. According to the Fed Ex tracking it supposed to be here on the ninth. After that depending on time I will report what it is about as I am heading for the bush Thursday morning and am not sure if I will get time to get it done before I leave. I would hope so as we will be doing 4 days of boondocking and it would be a great test time for it. If not it will have to wait until I get back.
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
This is totally OT to the thread, but one of the biggest changes I've made since becoming more battery conscious was upgrading all my lighting (interior and exterior) to LED's. I purchased 2X2 LED pannels (surface mount, 20 or 30 LED's on each) on eBay for a few dollars each and hacked one into each half of my interior lighting (so half is LED low draw, the other old fashioned incandescent still), and all exterior lighting. At only 0.3 amps each (I personally measured them), I can light up the entire trailer inside and out for about the same draw as one or two of the old bulbs.

This alone made a big difference on how much I'd need to run the genny the next day to recover the batteries.

The biggest draws in our 5'er now is the inverter and the furnace, when we use it - we tend to camp very early and very late into the season so it *does* get used a lot. The wife has a thing for TV in the evenings after she retires, so the inverter usually spends a few hours a day on, and I also like being able to make a pot of coffee at 6-7AM without needing to start the generator and annoy everyone - add in running a fan all night long to move air around in the trailer (again, when camping in non-hydro areas) and you can quickly end up with even a set of golf cart batteries like we have depleted to 50% the next morning.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
bradyk wrote:
Stay tuned as my fix is on a Fed Ex truck as we speak. I will report back once I have installed the fix. I am hoping in time for next weekend as I have 4 days of bush camping and it would be a great test.

Ooo...Christmas. So what is in the box?
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
Angus_NB wrote:
We also never use the air conditioner.

You are much further North than I am. This typically translates to cooler air and a lesser need for an A/C.

But, if you never use an A/C, I would think that you probably use the furnace in the RV on chilly nights or perhaps you just have a short season where you dry camp.

Our camping season is from the middle of April to the middle of October.

We seldom use the furnace either. Nights are usually a good temperature for sleeping and we spend most days outside. I suspect our definition of chilly nights is a little different. ๐Ÿ™‚

We go to the NASCAR race in New Hampshire toward the end of September. I have used the furnace down there. One battery wasn't enough to run the furnace overnight. That's what prompted me to add the second battery.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
The RV furnace is the biggest user of 12 VDC power in your RV. It takes a lot of battery to keep the furnace blower spinning fast enough for the sail switch to keep the furnace running.

Not always the case. In my old camper (28' class C, no slides) on a night that dipped down to 35 degrees or so, I paid close attention to the furnace. It would come on twice an hour, and run for 6 minutes. It pulled 10 amps while running. That equates to 2 AH per hour of operation, or 16 AH over an 8 hour period. If you turn on just a few incandescent lights, that will pull more out of the battery. I suspect, though, that a pulsed high-current load will bring down a battery quicker than a smaller continuous load, given the same apparent AH discharge.

I have not paid much attention to the heater in my new camper (20' toyhauler), but I have boondocked on a night that dipped down to freezing and still had more than half the charge left on my single G24 battery. No lights, no TV, only the fridge on propane (about 1A load when running).

On the subject of a WFCO 55A converter, I can say that the peak power (VA) is very high under a load. IIRC, I saw peaks of over 20A on the AC waveform due to the rectification of the input current. I would not be the least surprised if the WFCO will trip the C2000 inverter if the house battery is depleted. In that case, I would not hesitate to hook up a smaller charger to the battery.

Bob R.
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

byates
Explorer
Explorer
DennisCPE wrote:
All - I posted for the reasons I indicated. Regarding the rough idle or burping issue I am collecting info from my engineering team and will post that next week when I am back in the office.
Regarding #C40fan, I have asked him to call me when I am back in the office.

Realizing that you have been blocked from posting, perhaps you could relay your findings and solution to fix the defect through one of the thread posters you used previously.

Many readers of this thread would appreciate your promised follow up.

Boone Yates

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
Stay tuned as my fix is on a Fed Ex truck as we speak. I will report back once I have installed the fix. I am hoping in time for next weekend as I have 4 days of bush camping and it would be a great test.
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

byates
Explorer
Explorer
PrivatePilot wrote:

Now that the attention-grabbing burp/wandering throttle issue I had with my first unit has been addressed by Champion, I'm a happy camper. ๐Ÿ™‚

Customer satisfaction and customer safety keep a company in business. So, what did CPE do to correct the defect?

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
bruno1138 wrote:
DudleyDone wrote:

At the risk of discussing generators contrary to the official thread I will pipe in a little here with the perspective of some anecdotal experience. Since my 2000i champion inverter unexpectedly died a couple of weeks ago with a 153 hours on the clock I wrestled with the idea of getting another but ultimately drank some blue koolaid and now have a Yamaha EF2000is powering my cabin.

153 hours is not the kind of longevity I'm looking for - have you taken your CPE 2000i in for warranty service to find out what happened to it?

Bruno1138,

The one and only good report today has come from P.Pilot. Hope he will give us interested folks 'how and what' Champion has up their sleeve, to save more returns and unhappy owners.

bruno1138
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
What did Champion do about the burp/wandering throttle issue??
Angus_NB wrote:
Thank you guys.

I understand that the Champion is a 1600 watt ($500 CDN) generator not a 2000 watt ($1100 CDN) generator. I just wanted to make sure that 1600 watts was going to be enough for my usage. It's difficult to justify an additional $600 for the added 400 watts unless it was necessary. I know they are not a direct product comparison but in reality we have to compare the Champion to what is available on the market. If Honda / Yamaha did have a 1600 watt unit the cost would be in the $1000 range in Canada so the dollar savings would still be substantial.

I guess the cost / benefit / value equation is a little different south of the border - in the US you can pick up a new Honda EU2000i for less than $900 and it comes with a 3 year residential and commercial parts and labor warranty with a huge network of experienced repair shops who will fix it in the unlikely event it needs fixing. The lowest retail cost quoted for the champion 2000i generator in the US is via Sam's Club or Costco and is also $489 US (similar pricing to $500 CDN).

To have the same Cost / Benefit / Value proposition and ratio in the US as in Canada vis-a-vis the Honda 2K, the Champion would need to retail for about $400 in the US (about 45% of the price of a Honda 2K)

P.S. Professor - I get your point about not comparing the Champion 2k to the Honda 2k, because the Champion 2k is going to be found lacking in the comparison on every aspect except price, but the price differential is huge so most folks are going to try to compare them regardless...