cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
When the 2000i first came out to Costco they went on sale for $399 but haven't been discounted since (2 years). If the generators you are talking about is the new black 2000i then I just saw it the other day in Langley BC (looks awsome in black).
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

Slimline
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw at my local Costco in Peterborough Ontario that they have the Champion 2000 watt inverter model 73534i with the 12v adapter and usb charger for 499.99. I am debating waiting for it to go on sale. Has anyone seen a costco put a sale on these generators? I feel like I should just nab one now before they run out of stock. From what I see, I havent heard of many costcos having that specific model with the charge cables and 12v/usb charger on board.

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate post.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
17500 btu AC? Is that a typo?
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

duponts
Explorer
Explorer
I understand at 9,000 feet but at 6,000 feet it's not unusual to run the AC in July.

zedd
Explorer
Explorer
My thoughts...if I was camped at 9000 ft and it was warm enough to need the A/C, I'd pack up & come home. Altho, last summer we were pretty close to that...in Colorado, yet...
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, Lariat, 6.4l PSD, Super Cab. Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
From what I have read here it is 3200 watts continuous when you parallel 2.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

duponts
Explorer
Explorer
When you parallel two of these together, do you get 3,000 watt continuous or 3,000 watt max output? I am debating on buying two 2,000 watt units or holding out for the 3,100 watt unit (2800 watt rated). I live and camp at altitude 6000-9000 ft and from reading this thread I don't want issues starting my 17,500 RV ac with the single 3,100 watt unit like others have reported with the smaller ones hooked up in parallel. Your thoughts?

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Night_Wolf wrote:
Anyone running the Dometic LW3000 Plus Digital Inverter? It's a 3000 watt unit (not sure if that is peak or continuous)and I picked it up for $800.00 plus taxes at the recent RV Dealer show in Calgary Alberta. Brochure claims it make 59db at 4m or 13' That is at idle from what I can tell. It comes with a battery and a keyed ignition,but the battery doesn't seem to want to hold a charge :R No matter, turn the key to on choke it, pump the fuel bulb about 6 times and a cpl pulls on the cord and it fires up. Had to purchase a twist lock adapter to hook it to the toy hauler. Unit comes with a few basic accessories but no oil & it uses 15w40 (just under a litre/quart)

Since I had a Hyundai 1000 watt unit (1250 peak) I decided to perform a side by side comparison using a 1500 watt ceramic type space heater. It was filmed using a Canon Power Shot A530 mounted on a tripod

Here's a Dometic Dometic LW3000 Plus Link to the comparison that I uploaded to U-Tube

Are you comparing this generator to the Champion 2000 watt inverter?

I poked around a little after watching your video. It looks like a Magna generator retagged. I have the non-electric start version. It was ok, but definitely not the 3000 watt one might assume with the model number. I took mine apart and the inverter module had 60hz 2kw written on it. I'd be damned if I could get it over 2000 watts without it going into overload. The specs on mine was 2600va running and 2800va max. I believe that this is the actual capability of the motor's output, but once passed throught the inverter, there is a loss of power and your probably good for the max of about 2000 watts. If you just bought it, you should hit them up for a battery. Mine sits in the corner of my garage. I had problems with mine stalling when a small loads were applied. It wasn't consistent. I believe it to be a fuel pump issue. The fuel pump was operated via pulses from the vacuum created from the motor running. Yours, I believe has an electric pump to facilitate starting with the key, otherwise, you'd have to pump the bulb around 20 times to get the fuel up to the carburetor. (per the manual) I had taken a tank of fuel and elevated it, creating a siphon to the carburetor. What was once a skipping motor became a smooth running motor and then it would no longer stall when starting reasonable loads. The company I bought it from did one hell of a marketing attempt on Ebay and taught me a lesson about these generators. Or this type of marketing. See, this fella blocked all of the reviews and links to the garbage he was selling. When contacting him, he was not very nice.

Anyhow, get your battery replaced. If you paid 800 bucks for it, it should work. Next, the 59db is rated at an idle. Mine was quiet at an idle and significantly louder under load. As far as starting 13.5 ac units, I believe that design and availability of a hard start capacitor will determine whether that is possible. (from experience) Test your unit to see if you can come close to 2500 to 2600.

If you are looking for the Dometic LW3000 generator reviews or posts, do a search in the area to the top left of the screen. You'll find some additional info there.

One link to the tech area of Dometic LW3000

Your open frame Hyundai generator is taking a significant hit in RPM's while attempting to run that heater. You can get a clamp on meter, place the leads into the output and select Hz. to see what your getting with that load. I am willing to bet it is slowing down to the 50 Hz. range.

Good luck with your generator.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

Night_Wolf1
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone running the Dometic LW3000 Plus Digital Inverter? It's a 3000 watt unit (not sure if that is peak or continuous)and I picked it up for $800.00 plus taxes at the recent RV Dealer show in Calgary Alberta. Brochure claims it make 59db at 4m or 13' That is at idle from what I can tell. It comes with a battery and a keyed ignition,but the battery doesn't seem to want to hold a charge :R No matter, turn the key to on choke it, pump the fuel bulb about 6 times and a cpl pulls on the cord and it fires up. Had to purchase a twist lock adapter to hook it to the toy hauler. Unit comes with a few basic accessories but no oil & it uses 15w40 (just under a litre/quart)

Since I had a Hyundai 1000 watt unit (1250 peak) I decided to perform a side by side comparison using a 1500 watt ceramic type space heater. It was filmed using a Canon Power Shot A530 mounted on a tripod

Here's a Dometic Dometic LW3000 Plus Link to the comparison that I uploaded to U-Tube

zedd
Explorer
Explorer
Mine will run the microwave at lower altitudes but once we're above 6000 ft or so it doesn't do so well. The microwave will come on & sorta work but it's obvious that it's just barely working. The voltage will drop to about 90 v and the Champion is really struggling. I think our microwave is about 1000w.
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, Lariat, 6.4l PSD, Super Cab. Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel

Glenlivet
Explorer
Explorer
140 ft. Yes it surprized me but it does it. For minutes on end too, until the single glass of water I'd put in the microwave for a load started to boil over. The microwave spooled up a bit slower than it does on line current but not much slower. Seemed to have full output. I didn't have my standard wall plug-in voltmeter at that time to monitor voltage drop (7$ on eBay!) but it didn't appear strained.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Glenlivet wrote:
I can run my 5500 BTU air conditioner AND my 1000 watt microwave oven simultaneously, with my Champion 2000 watt inverter! Caveats: The generator must be fully warmed up, the air conditioner must have cycled on first and then power up the microwave, and understand that the generator will be running in its highest RPM step if its in Economy mode, but yes the little thing will handle it.
I'll take a video if necessary for unbelievers, but it will have to be later after it warms up some around these parts, for the A/C compressor to cycle on.

I can't imagine that as my little inverter gens as mentioned have a problem with the microwave alone. They can't handle it with an additional draw of 200 to 300 watts which is what my DC converter and the other odds and ends often draw when maintaining the batteries in my TT.

Can we assume you're using your generator at sea level more or less? Even then I would think there is an inductive power factor for both your microwave, and your ac which would result in your drawing more than the champion can handle output wise.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Glenlivet
Explorer
Explorer
I can run my 5500 BTU air conditioner AND my 1000 watt microwave oven simultaneously, with my Champion 2000 watt inverter! Caveats: The generator must be fully warmed up, the air conditioner must have cycled on first and then power up the microwave, and understand that the generator will be running in its highest RPM step if its in Economy mode, but yes the little thing will handle it.
I'll take a video if necessary for unbelievers, but it will have to be later after it warms up some around these parts, for the A/C compressor to cycle on.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Neither one of my champions will power the 1000 watt microwave in my TT if trying it by powering the entire trailer. (rated 1000 watt but specs say it can draw 1200). If I use an extension cord, or pull fuses for the DC converter etc it sometimes works if I'm below 5000 foot in elevation or so. Above that it the engine starts struggling, the voltage drops, and it eventually trips the overload.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.