cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This guy cut the shroud on his A/C---Good idea?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Its a 15 minute video of him cutting the shroud and installing metal lath. Idea being there is better airflow and therefor better cooling. Feel free to fast forward you wont miss any special tips.

I read some of the comments. Few people disagree and which way the air flows. Several said older units used to be open like this mod. Negative was damage during hail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUqQnEw-8Y
20 REPLIES 20

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
My new AtWood AC, designed for the Australian market, does not have a back to the shroud. The Dometic it replaced did.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
In order to get more air out, you need to get more air in. I wonder if the side vents should be replaced also. Most fans "blow" better than they "suck".
RVing since 1995.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I WOnder as I wander if that would work the sanme on a coleman.
(Air flow is the other way around on colemans. they suck not blow)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd do it but I don't have ac.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

red31
Explorer
Explorer
If this thread is about the video then I'm on in on liking it.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hard to complain about something for free, but it could have been done in 5 minutes or less.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What he did is a great thing to do. The MORE FRESH air you get thru the Condensor, the better the AC unit can remove the heat to cool. Doug

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously? A 16 minute video with the camera bouncing so badly it'll make you sick just watching it to describe what is such a simple mod?! Good grief, I added a screen mesh to the rear of the Carrier AirV I installed back in 2000 on our Santa Fe popup in less time than this guy's video took! I guess I'm told old now to appreciate the "magic" of today's social media. :S

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I need to go look at mine... I think mine came without the "grating".

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wish all youtubers were able to communicate as well as this man.
Puma 30RKSS

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Coleman Mach 15 was overheating. Without shroud (Maxxair MaxxTuff) it ran better. So I made a flat "roof" from plastic sheeting.
Then Chris Bryant pointed out that I needed baffling at the corners of the condenser. Cut a couple from a swim noodle and it ran right again with shroud on.
A season later it didn't seem quite right. I carry spare capacitors and swapped Compressor Run. Smoother, queter, cooler. Cap tested OK on Fluke and ran the compressor. Go Figure
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure I would chop a new unit but an older model that is not cooling as well and icing up a bit... what is the harm in that. Alternative is a new upper unit.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
If i remember it was a guy from Colorado saying he needed hail protection while the trailer is parked. In a way the lath might protect more because of the smaller holes. Assuming its strong enough.

You know that reflective bubble wrap people put on windows? Think it would help on the inside of the shroud? Good time to add some while the shroud is off.

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
Notice the cutout was on the back of it. I don't see how hail would do much damage there. Driving so that hail would hit the front would not make a difference here. This seems like a good idea.
2000 Minnie 31C V10