cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

un-hitching the towed car

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
we haven't RVed in some years so we forget some things.
when we un hitch at the camp site do we have to have the car inline with the MH to unhitch easily.
we found that even at a slight angle the whole thing just locked solid. when we drove forward a bit til it was all inline - it was fine to un hitch.
sterling towbar.
thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
anon125 wrote:
"If you turn the wheel all the way one way after parked it releases some of the tension enough to get that side pin out that might be pinched."
do you mean the stering wheel? on dry pavement? wont that damage the steering.
Thanks all very much

start the toad
bumpy

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
"If you turn the wheel all the way one way after parked it releases some of the tension enough to get that side pin out that might be pinched."
do you mean the stering wheel? on dry pavement? wont that damage the steering.
Thanks all very much

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I carry a long small sized extension socket and small hammer under the front seat of the toad. Fits right in to gently tap a hitch pin out.

I used a hammer and a jumbo version of a nail set, pin punch or whatever that is called. had to go easy the last tap as it could shift and lock the punch in the hookup. I used a second punch to remove the first. ๐Ÿ™‚
never needed a third.
bumpy

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Good Idea IVYLOG, I had my car roll back once when I thought it was on flat pavement...had to run and put in park!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unhook the safety chains LAST. Beats trying to catch it as it rolls away.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think a lot of it depends upon your tow bar type and its physical condition. With my first Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar that I purchased used off of eBay, I use to have a real hard time getting it to release from the car. After a few years, I traded it in on a new Sterling AT and this thing comes loose from almost any angle without any trouble at all. I do keep it lubricated with silicone spray as I also do with all the pins and moving parts.

I always put the car in Park and then pull the cables and keeper pins. i then pull up on the release levers and pull the pins out. If the large pins are stuck, I can pull the trans back out of Park and let the car move an inch or so and that will usually free up the pin.

However, I agree with the others.... keeping the car in line with the mh will provide you with the best disconnect position.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup as straight as you can get it or it pinches the pins.

Not familiar with your tow bar but with my blue ox tow bar it had to be really straight to get the pins out.

Here are 3 things I learned along the way of towing a toad and getting it unhitched in difficult situations. I do not use the clips I use hitch pins that can get stuck if you are not 'perfectly' parked straight with the toad.

1. Silicone the heck out of the pin regularly. This makes a huge difference in getting them to come out easily.

2. If you turn the wheel all the way one way after parked it releases some of the tension enough to get that side pin out that might be pinched.
(Fellow camper taught me that tip after seeing me cursing while trying to unhook my toad.):C

I carry a long small sized extension socket and small hammer under the front seat of the toad. Fits right in to gently tap a hitch pin out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
First and most important before anthing else. Pull the hand brake.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Straighter the better. Also flatter the better.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Mine needs to be straight.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides