cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater power consumption

Dalo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Alumascape trailer with a 6 gallon water heater. The water heater is powered by propane or 110 volts when connected to electricity. I just bought a 2000w Yamaha generator and it will not operate the water heater. The water heater is an Atwood 6 gallon model GC6A-9E. I can not find any information on watts or amps used by this appliance. Is it unreasonable for me to think that a 2000w genny will power a water heater?
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with 5.9L Cummins, K&N air filter, Magnaflow exhaust and Hypertech power programmer
2003 Alumascape 26' travel trailer
11 REPLIES 11

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
Dalo wrote:
OP here. My fridge was on propane. I ran the generator for about 1 hour with nothing A/C on (except the converter). Water heater was all original and I have never had any problems with it. I usually do run it on propane but since I just bought this Yamaha 2000w gen I thought I'd give it a try on 110volts. Gen would immediately bog down and sound like it was going to die.
Thanks for all your responses. It looks like I'll be running it on propane when I'm dry camping.

You should be able to easily run the water heater with your generator.

My Honda EU2000i has run water heaters on a few different campers with different manufacturer heaters with no issues.

Is your electric heater element bad?

Take it out and check it for corrosion.
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

Dalo
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. My fridge was on propane. I ran the generator for about 1 hour with nothing A/C on (except the converter). Water heater was all original and I have never had any problems with it. I usually do run it on propane but since I just bought this Yamaha 2000w gen I thought I'd give it a try on 110volts. Gen would immediately bog down and sound like it was going to die.
Thanks for all your responses. It looks like I'll be running it on propane when I'm dry camping.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 with 5.9L Cummins, K&N air filter, Magnaflow exhaust and Hypertech power programmer
2003 Alumascape 26' travel trailer

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
If the fridge and water heater are both on, it will not be able to support the load.
And the converter.

Dalo wrote:
n Atwood 6 gallon model GC6A-9E. I can not find any information on watts or amps used by this appliance.
It's around 1400w. Likely more than your a/c.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
poncho62 wrote:
Just me, but I think it would be more economical to run the fridge and WH on propane when not on shore power....quieter too

I agree. Unless you "Must" have that extra 3,400 Btu's of heat that the electric element puts out, better to just run the propane 8,800 Btu burner, and leave the electric off, until you are in a hookup campground.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Just me, but I think it would be more economical to run the fridge and WH on propane when not on shore power....quieter too

Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for Mex.
If his battery is charging and he hit the WH switch it's game over for that genny.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd guess Mex's Musings are on target.

Another possibility - Has the Element been Replaced and If So With What? I remember a discussion that went "Why buy an RV element when a Home element is so much less expensive?" It came out that the Home elements might fit but the current draw was too high for what's available in an RV...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

That 2000 only does 1600 watts. If the fridge and water heater are both on, it will not be able to support the load.

My Yamaha 3000 sIEB only does 23.3 amps or about 2600 VA.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It may have loaded down the generator old-biscuit. The generator may be supplying other hotel loads and adding up to too much load. I am musing the OP is trying to use the generator for 100% plug n play AC operation of his rig.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your water heater uses a 110V AC 1400 Watt bolt on style element (part number #91580)

A few question......
Have you check that the 110V AC circuit breaker for WH isn't tripped?
Did you turn it ON without water in tank....element burnt out?
Did you check for 110V AC power at element?
Did you turn it ON using switch on cover box (backside off WH where element is)?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31