cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which RV GPS?

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the wide, wild west, the land of high overpasses and few tunnels. I am looking for a good RV-specific GPS unit as I head farther east. I've been reading specs & reviews and would to hear about your experiences.

Thanks!
Janice and Annie, the snotty poodle
2008 Four Winds Windsport, 3 slides
Toad: 2011 Honda CRV/Blue Ox towing system
23 REPLIES 23

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
If you have a notebook computer another option is DeLorme's Street Atlas with their gps unit that plugs into a USB port on your notebook. I like it since it has a much bigger screen (depending on how big your computer screen is) and you can do trip planning in your home. The combo gps with software is probably cheaper than buying a dedicated unit. They run frequent sales too.

MS Streets and Trips had a better interface but MS pulled the plug on it.

X2...........And much better resolution than a stand alone GPS. Zooming in and out with the mouse is a great feature too. Your tires ol eyes will thank you.

richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

nrkmann
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the iPad folks. Been using an iPad and a Samsung note for two years now and have come to the conclusion for the third time (one phone and a different tablet) that Android OS just isn't up to the job.

The Samsung would loose GPS and freeze the map. I would turn on my iPad and it has connected every time from a cold start. When you are up in the mountains with no cell phone data service the GPS becomes critical for navigation.

Software is a personal choice but I always keep my PDF maps up to date. Have never had to fall back on them but they are there.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone running a Garmin "dezl" (truck) GPS? I want a good GPS - low bridges, tolls, etc., really don't care about built-in campground directory - I can get that plus Walmart's etc from the POI Factory. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I use my iPad Pro with 12" screen in the MDT towing our large 5er, and us my iPhone 6s Plus in our smart car.

If you don't have a tablet now I would say for the price of a new stand alone GPS you could purchase a tablet (android or Apple) and you will get a lot more uses out of a tablet. You only purchase the Co-Pilot app once and you can use it on multiple devices, and if you get a new phone or tablet you just load the app. Not like having to buy new GPS when it goes out our you want the latest greatest one.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Chiefneon, where can I get a dash mount for my iPad?

Howdy!

I purchased mine on Amazon Prime. I use a Ram universal mount in my MDT truck. Glade I purchased the universal one as it worked with my last three tablets, two Samsungs and now iPad pro 12.2".

Ram Universal mount

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

I use my iPad Pro with 12" screen in the MDT towing our large 5er, and us my iPhone 6s Plus in our smart car.

If you don't have a tablet now I would say for the price of a new stand alone GPS you could purchase a tablet (android or Apple) and you will get a lot more uses out of a tablet. You only purchase the Co-Pilot app once and you can use it on multiple devices, and if you get a new phone or tablet you just load the app. Not like having to buy new GPS when it goes out our you want the latest greatest one.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Chiefneon, where can I get a dash mount for my iPad?

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Getup'ngo wrote:
Devocamper wrote:
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

If you have a smartphone or a tablet with GPS I recommend a app call Co-Pilot. Been using it for several years and I want buy another stand alone GPS.

Co-Pilot RV app

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

We also use this app works great and you can set your hight and weight limits

Chiefneon, thanks for the link. It seems like great software. My question is whether it would work for me as a solo RVer. I'm having trouble visualizing what using a phone app would be like while driving. And even if I could map out a route in advance, it would be difficult for me to remember, as I have the recall ability of a gnat.

I want a larger GPS screen with a map, lane-change visuals and a system that calls audibles.

(I programmed my old Tom-Tom GOP with the voice of Captain Jean-Luc Picard from "Star Trek Next Generation." Once I turned left instead of right because I knew a better route. Jean-Luc's voice kept telling me to turn around. When I did not comply it shouted, "YOU HAVE ENTERED THE BETA QUADRANT. TURN AROUND! TURN AROUND!

Nearly ran my rig off the road.)

Howdy!

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rand McNally 7730 with a 7 inch screen. The length, height, and weight for the RV or RV plus tow or towed vehicle can be set. The GPS will then route you away from low tunnels and bridges. It can be set to avoid small roads and dirt roads. There are lots of other settings for warnings about going over the speed limit, approaching sharp curves, construction zones, etc. I travel by myself; the cat is no good about reading maps and gets bored with the smart phone or tablet, so I appreciate the step by step directions and the visual showing which lane to get in for exits and interchanges. Also the motor home speedometer is hard to see it some lighting so I find myself using the GPS speed indicator โ€“ much easier to see. I am very happy with this GPS and now that I am used to it, I find it easier to use than the Garmin in my car. There is a learning curve though, it takes a while.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getup'ngo wrote:
Devocamper wrote:
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

If you have a smartphone or a tablet with GPS I recommend a app call Co-Pilot. Been using it for several years and I want buy another stand alone GPS.

Co-Pilot RV app

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Chiefneon, thanks for the link. It seems like great software. My question is whether it would work for me as a solo RVer. I'm having trouble visualizing what using a phone app would be like while driving. And even if I could map out a route in advance, it would be difficult for me to remember, as I have the recall ability of a gnat.

I want a larger GPS screen with a map, lane-change visuals and a system that calls audibles.

(I programmed my old Tom-Tom GOP with the voice of Captain Jean-Luc Picard from "Star Trek Next Generation." Once I turned left instead of right because I knew a better route. Jean-Luc's voice kept telling me to turn around. When I did not comply it shouted, "YOU HAVE ENTERED THE BETA QUADRANT. TURN AROUND! TURN AROUND!

Go look at the CoPiolet it does all that I have it loaded on the phone and on my 12"tablet so it is a lot bigger than the stand alone gps units. Yes it talks to you, it starts warning about exits and what lane at least two miles before hand.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
Devocamper wrote:
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

Co-Pilot RV app

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We bought the Garmin 760 LMT a few months ago. Just getting near the end of a trip through 7 western states. The Garmin is "good" but still has some shortcomings. Seems to be the no. 1 choice for RV-ers. Does make an error once in a while and can send you off course either on a highway or in a city. When heading out on a highway leg or a trip around a city, I still use a paper map or sometimes a map off the internet so I can make sure both agree. It sent us totally off course on the freeway in Utah for absolutely no reason onto a road that was slower and longer.

Tried to set up the Garmin with Basecamp before our trip but it is not exactly user-friendly and we gave up for now. Will look at the RV Trip Wizard and see if that'll work for us.

Also got the Garmin rear-view camera. Bought the extension cable and mounted the transmitter at the front of our TT. The image on the screen is so grainy that it's almost impossible to see anything. Sometimes the camera image won't come on and sometimes it does when in reverse. Will have to contact Garmin when back home and see what we can do.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
CoPilot RV app. Been using it for about a year. Just upgraded to the RV version with free traffic for one year.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
chiefneon wrote:
Howdy!

Co-Pilot RV app

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Rand Mcnally RV 7730 in our TV and the Garmin Nuvi in the DW Jetta TDI. Easy when the TV and DW car are both diesel. So far so good with RM 7730 and loving it.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
We have the Garmin RV760 LMT and it has served us well...

Just got our RV760 with backup camera. I have just been using it running around getting used to it. Really like the 7 in screen & other than the rv info & voice command works like the Nuvi it replaces so my learning curve is speeded up.