cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 Ton Bumper Tow

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
So.... we are downsizing from our Power Stroke / 5th Wheel ensemble to a 1/2 ton truck with a travel trailer. We ended up purchasing a 2016 Ram 1500 4x2 with the 5.7 Hemi. Now we're looking at travel trailers.

We just came from a Forest River dealer where we saw a 26' model that we really liked. The truck is rated for 10,800 pounds, and the trailer has a dry weight of 6,089 with 1,700 capacity. I know on paper it looks like I sill have a ton and a half of capacity to spare, but I am hoping to hear from someone with a similar setup who can tell me firsthand that he is happy with performance and handling of the truck and trailer combination. Hopefully someone who does some towing in Colorado or similar.

Thanks in advance....
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
47 REPLIES 47

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
The other issue to consider here in Colorado is the wind.

Our first TV was a 2013 F150 w/ the EcoBoost engine. Our camper is a 2014 Raptor 27FS, factory weight of 6885 (it's a bumper pull toy hauler). Power to tow was not a problem, but sway/wind certainly was. We added airbags, and better rated tires, drove slow, etc etc. The truck was just too small and the trailer would push it around quite a bit.... and that was without a toy in the garage area.

We gave up and never even bothered to take it in the mountains until we got a bigger truck, since there, on top of the wind, you have the grades to worry about.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
How much of the payload will be used by the tongue weight of this trailer?

Tongue weight
To determine the maximum trailer tongue weight, multiply
the gross trailer weight (GTW) by 15 percent. The ideal
tongue weight should be about 13 percent. However, the
maximum tongue weight on a class III bumper hitch is
limited to 500 lbs. and a class IV receiver hitch is limited
to 1,045 lbs. For maximum king pin weight on fifth-wheel
applications, multiply the GTW by 25 percent.

source: Ram Trucks: Towing Basics
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Husky1987
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2014 Ram 1500 4x2 with the 5.7 and 3.92 rear axle. I tow a Cougar 21RBSWE (dry wit 5400, last CAT scale pegged trailer weight at 6700). I was close on total payload but well within axle weights. I've got it set up with air bags and switched out to LT KO2 tires.

I've gone from Seattle to Boise, over the Cascades and Blues, and it tows like a dream.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Tow rating 10,800 and trailer GVWR 8,800 I would tow in a heartbeat.
Get a premium antisway hitch and go have some fun.

Me too...X2 or however I'm supposed to say that.

My 97 F150 handled my GVWR 7,700 lb trailer with ease. Little slow due to the HP on steep grades but other than that..no problems.

These new 'half tons' are very capable trucks.

I'd hitch that trailer up with a good WD hitch and sway control and go have fun camping!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I think 395 horsepower routed through a very capable 8 speed transmission to the 3.92 rear end will handle the Colorado Rockys with ease. Nothing to worry about there. A good wd hitch, well balanced trailer, and attention to the rear GAWR will allow for 7500 - 8000 lbs of trailer. LT tires will make that whole package rock solid. That's what I'm shooting for anyhow.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Mr_Biggles
Explorer
Explorer
Towing an 8800lb TT with a 1/2 ton over any distance would not be fun,especially in the mountains.
2011 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73 Tow package
2013 Evergreen i-Go G239BH

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Tow rating 10,800 and trailer GVWR 8,800 I would tow in a heartbeat.
Get a premium antisway hitch and go have some fun.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my 19' toy hauler with a half ton MFG saif the trailer was 5k tow rating on my SUV was a lil over 7k. Towed fine on the flats but once i hit a grade it didnt like it. I used to just cruise behind a slow semi like at 30 mph to keep the rpms down and the temps. once you go up in altitude i think it will struggle.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
I think you should be fine, I had at one time a 2000 5.3 1/2 ton Chevy and pulled a small fifth wheel 6500-7000 lbs dry without issues. My GVWR was at the max back then but no issues. Going from diesel back to gas will be a change but I have pulled with both and have no issues. I pull 10K with a gas job and so far any mountains I have run into up North I have had zero issues. Just drop a gear and go. The 5.7 Hemi my Aunt has in her 2500 Dodge pulls the hills fine, and she pulls around 10-11K.

Northeast mountains or northwest mountains?

OP wants to tow in Colorado. All the stuff back east is foothills compared to the mountains out west.

Yep, the OP's n/a truck will be down on power when towing at altitude, no way around that.

I personally would start with a lower dry weight TT for a n/a 1/2 ton if you plan to do western mountain towing. There is virtually no where in CO mountains where you won't have to drive a high altitude pass.
I love me some land yachting

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Mike, ever heard of "wishful thinking"? A lot of people can't imagine how unrealistic and inflated "Tow ratings" can be. Every third advertisement refers to them, therefore them must be accurate. Right?

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I gotta believe if the OP already has experience with 5er, then he understands weights, and the importance of cargo capacity? So, assuming that, why wouldn't he post the cargo capacity of his 1500 and do the math himself? Seems like he believes the mythical/fictional max tow ratings. That's a newbie mistake.. surely he knows better.

Im obviously missing something.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the OP's question, remember your payload is about 1,600 lbs, subtract that for your family, pets etc. You did not specify which trailer and Forest River has a myriad of them.

If you can answer the model I believe you may get answers that fit your question.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
The gross weight on the trailer isn't 10.8k, it's about 8800 lbs. Although personally that's still more than I'd pull with a half ton.

I agree. Used to tow that with my 1/2 ton back in the day - I don't miss it. I enjoy towing again.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
GoHorns wrote:
So.... we are downsizing from our Power Stroke / 5th Wheel ensemble to a 1/2 ton truck with a travel trailer. We ended up purchasing a 2016 Ram 1500 4x2 with the 5.7 Hemi. Now we're looking at travel trailers.

We just came from a Forest River dealer where we saw a 26' model that we really liked. The truck is rated for 10,800 pounds, and the trailer has a dry weight of 6,089 with 1,700 capacity. I know on paper it looks like I sill have a ton and a half of capacity to spare, but I am hoping to hear from someone with a similar setup who can tell me firsthand that he is happy with performance and handling of the truck and trailer combination. Hopefully someone who does some towing in Colorado or similar.

Thanks in advance....

I pull a Heartland North Trail, about the same size and weight as the one you are looking at. My truck, a 2014 5.7 with 3.92 rear axle handles it very well. Get a good weight distributing hitch rated for the trailer tongue weight and enjoy it. Believe me it will be fine.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
As you see from the post on this thread, you can'rt pull anything unless you have a ¾t or 1t truck, which is pure nonsense. I went from a 1t PSD to my current ½t gasser and it is RATED to pull 10.5K and has a payload of just under 2K. I routinely pull 8 - 10K in the mountains of the west and it does an admirable job. I am leaving today with about 8K behind the truck and will be driving 1007 miles over the next 2 days and going up and down between 2,500' and 8,000' and will have NO problems with the tow.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today