cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 ton pickup + 6000 lb TT on 5000 mi western trip

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for those who have experience and insight with a setup similar to mine on a trip similar to mine.

As shown in my sig, I have a 2011 F-150 SuperCrew, 5.0L V8 and tow a 6000-6200 lb travel trailer (it's 5000 lb dry). I have taken it on trips under 100 mi one way, but next summer am contemplating an epic, 5000+ mi round trip from TX-NM-CO-WY-MT-Canada-ND-SD-NE-KS-OK-TX spanning about 6 weeks. (Here is an extremely preliminary itinerary.)

The question is: can my truck do it? Meaning, at those elevations both safely (and preferably, in a reasonably stress free way) and for those number of miles without harming the truck? Of course, I'm thinking as much (or more!) about coming DOWN those mountains as I am going up them.

I realize all this may sound like a silly question, but I don't have any experience TOWING in the mountains and I suspect many of you have done trips with trucks and weights like what I've outlined here. I'm happy to draw on your wisdom and experience. Thanks!
Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch
40 REPLIES 40

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
1oldtruck wrote:
2112 wrote:
At 40k miles I would have Ford flush the tranny before I took that trip regardless.
I have my done every 30K miles. For $180, why not? Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

This is not a bad idea. Considering you aren't planning on going until next summer you may be closer to 50,000 miles by then. It would be worth checking service intervals to see if a brake fluid flush or transmission/differential service is recommended.

Share your experiences when you get back.

Ford recommends a trany flush every 30,000 miles. With all the fittings. It is done in 20 minutes. Last place I took mine. Didn't have the correct fittings. SO, They dropped the pan, and changed all the filters for the same price as a flush. So I got NEW every thing at 60,000 miles
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
At 40k miles I would have Ford flush the tranny before I took that trip regardless.
I have my done every 30K miles. For $180, why not? Cheap insurance and peace of mind.

This is not a bad idea. Considering you aren't planning on going until next summer you may be closer to 50,000 miles by then. It would be worth checking service intervals to see if a brake fluid flush or transmission/differential service is recommended.

Share your experiences when you get back.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksss wrote:
The wind will be your most constant factor. ND, WY and MT get real breezy. Your mileage will suffer the most if your traveling west through those States . I would make sure you have a quality equalizer hitch.

Very good point.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
krobbe wrote:
With my 3/4 Burb's 4L85E transmission towing my 7200# TT, my highest trans temp last year was going down the Teton Pass with 10% grades and 25 to 35 mph curves. The temp went up over 250F before I realized it and started using more brake. It was definitely a balancing act between brakes and gears. I remember it vividly. The rest of the trip, I didn't see temps over 210 - 220 so I'm extremely pleased with my truck's towing performance. There surely will be some interesting moments on your trip. Camp On!

TO THE OP:

Do not tow over Teton Pass. For any reason.

There are lots of threads here on it. Wyoming DOT warns against it. DON'T DO IT.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
BroncosFan wrote:
Tundra and 17,500 lbs!:h
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/349442-towing-heavy-17-500-lbs-s/?utm_medium=email&utm_...

At least he was keeping it down at 70-75 as he passed people on the highway.

Good God.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
It will do it just fine!! I had a 2004 F150 SCREW HD and it hauled my 5000 lb 23 foot trailer on some long hauls,,not as long as that but 300 miles in one direction over the Sierras and into Nevada.. Not going to tell you it did it with ease,, But I made it!! Only issue I had was the wind! In the CA heat 110 degrees with a head wind pushed the tranny temps to 250! We made a few stops and let it cool,, the 5.4 worked its butt off but got the job done!! I finally moved up to a 3/4 ton because I have allot of payload during the crabbing season and that short bed of the F150 just wasn't cutting it!! Be careful with what you haul and you should be ok!! Take your time and have fun!!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
It is a 2011 F150 not 1972.
Yea, that's what I was thinking too. We make our rounds "out west" every year with a similar set up accept our TV is a 2009 F-150 Super Cab. Never had a problem pulling the mountains. Going down, I gear down before starting my decent and never allow my speed to build up. Anytime I am hitched, I am in the Tow/Haul mode.

Like as been stated, watch the WIND and tailor your driving according to the conditions.

Enjoy your trip, texasAUtiger!

Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
With my 3/4 Burb's 4L85E transmission towing my 7200# TT, my highest trans temp last year was going down the Teton Pass with 10% grades and 25 to 35 mph curves. The temp went up over 250F before I realized it and started using more brake. It was definitely a balancing act between brakes and gears. I remember it vividly. The rest of the trip, I didn't see temps over 210 - 220 so I'm extremely pleased with my truck's towing performance. There surely will be some interesting moments on your trip. Camp On!
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't speak for a Ford, but my Tundra just handled a 4K trip which included Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier national parks. I was surprised at how well the truck did in the mountains.....but I just let it do the work, so sometimes my speed would drop to around 50. And, I kept my cruisin' speed down to 60-65. Also, I had just installed new tires on trailer and truck. Make sure your tires are good!

Make sure you know how to downshift on the steeper downgrades. Doing so definitely save my brakes. On my old Dodge, I accidently had my brakes smoking by not downshifting....lesson learned.

Just check your tire pressures frequently and monitor all engine fluids. I don't really think you should have a problem.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
220 is not a problem for modern transmissions and fluids. That chart is grossly out of date.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
How does your trans temps do since you been towing??

Engine temps?

In the 100 degree Texas heat this summer, I've noticed zero change in either engine temp or transmission temp whether towing or not towing.

I don't have a digital engine temp gauge, but the digital transmission temp gauge reads 195-203 on a hot day whether towing or not. Granted, I have only towed the trailer on trips about 100 mi one way, but those routes were through low rolling hills.

We have two, 200-250 mi trips planned here in the coming weeks, one in the hilliest roads I've done yet with it, so that should be a little more of a test.

The truck as 39k easy miles on it and has been maintained very well.
Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
How does your trans temps do since you been towing??

Engine temps?

Pulling grades as they show on those videos of who can make it in the fastest time is ridiculous to say the least. They never state when they make it to the top of the grade that the trans temps are will into the 220F range..

Trans fluid starts to varnish.. Trans replacement time that they dont state in those videos..:E

My advice is to change the trans fluid and filter. Get synthetic fluid in there, and even if you have a trans cooler, I would probably remove it, or add to it, and install the biggest one you can fit...

Most factory trans coolers are way undersized and a joke...

On my 96 s10 in my sig I installed a 20k GVW cooler. Temps never get past 190F. Pulling grades in 100F heat, headwinds, etc...

Best invesrtment/ mod you can make for your truck...

Trans cooler sizing

More trans info

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh