cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 ton pickup + 6000 lb TT on 5000 mi western trip

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for those who have experience and insight with a setup similar to mine on a trip similar to mine.

As shown in my sig, I have a 2011 F-150 SuperCrew, 5.0L V8 and tow a 6000-6200 lb travel trailer (it's 5000 lb dry). I have taken it on trips under 100 mi one way, but next summer am contemplating an epic, 5000+ mi round trip from TX-NM-CO-WY-MT-Canada-ND-SD-NE-KS-OK-TX spanning about 6 weeks. (Here is an extremely preliminary itinerary.)

The question is: can my truck do it? Meaning, at those elevations both safely (and preferably, in a reasonably stress free way) and for those number of miles without harming the truck? Of course, I'm thinking as much (or more!) about coming DOWN those mountains as I am going up them.

I realize all this may sound like a silly question, but I don't have any experience TOWING in the mountains and I suspect many of you have done trips with trucks and weights like what I've outlined here. I'm happy to draw on your wisdom and experience. Thanks!
Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch
40 REPLIES 40

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I think you mean MT, not MO.

You should be fine if you have the right expectations. With a naturally aspirated engine you'll lose some power at elevation, so be prepared for that going up some of the higher mountian passses. As far as going down hills you just need to be sure to shift down into lower gears and lay off the brakes as much as you can. I would assume the 5.0 would give you at least decent engine braking. The real key on going down passes is not overheating your brakes so they don't work when you need them, and keep your speeds reasonable.

Also since you'll be right next door, you ought to work Idaho in. The Sawtooths by Stanley are more impressive than the Tetons, and they're not that far out of the way. Cut over to Idaho Falls and take 20 over to 75, then take 75 up through Sun Valley and over Galena into the Stanley Basin and over to 93 near Challis, and then head north up to Missoula. I didn't look at your itenerary so I don't know how far out of the way that is, but Central Idaho has some gorgeous country to explore.

Agreed. My only suggestion is to go around Galena and go through Arco, Mackey and Challis to get to the Sawtooths. Galena is a big hill.

Galena is a big hill but we want the guy to get a good feel for Idaho, and he'd miss a lot of really nice scenery going around the long way. That view from the top into the Stanley Basin is special, and then as you drive north and get closer to Stanley it just gets amazing.

We are very spoiled with the backyard we have out here.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The wind will be your most constant factor. ND, WY and MT get real breezy. Your mileage will suffer the most if your traveling west through those States . I would make sure you have a quality equalizer hitch.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

You should be fine if you have the right expectations. With a naturally aspirated engine you'll lose some power at elevation, so be prepared for that going up some of the higher mountian passses. As far as going down hills you just need to be sure to shift down into lower gears and lay off the brakes as much as you can. I would assume the 5.0 would give you at least decent engine braking. The real key on going down passes is not overheating your brakes so they don't work when you need them, and keep your speeds reasonable.

Also since you'll be right next door, you ought to work Idaho in. The Sawtooths by Stanley are more impressive than the Tetons, and they're not that far out of the way. Cut over to Idaho Falls and take 20 over to 75, then take 75 up through Sun Valley and over Galena into the Stanley Basin and over to 93 near Challis, and then head north up to Missoula. I didn't look at your itenerary so I don't know how far out of the way that is, but Central Idaho has some gorgeous country to explore.

Agreed. My only suggestion is to go around Galena and go through Arco, Mackey and Challis to get to the Sawtooths. Galena is a big hill.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
You have a great opportunity to be gone for 6 weeks, and you have a great truck that should be able to handle what you are towing. Enjoy the time, and have fun.

I just hope some bozo does not chime in and try to tell you that you should have bought the Ecoboost instead of the 5.0 V8.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
You know what shape your truck is in I don't. If it is in fairly good shape have the brakes checked, fluids checked, tires checked, and belts and hoses checked. After that there is no reason you shouldn't have a trouble free trip concerning the truck. 5000 appears to be a low estimate for that trip but even at that no problem.

This.

And follow the advice above regarding mountain grades.

Don't be afraid to downshift and let it rev. That will help keep the tranny cool. Don't be afraid to hang in the right lane and slow down. That's what it's for.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You know what shape your truck is in I don't. If it is in fairly good shape have the brakes checked, fluids checked, tires checked, and belts and hoses checked. After that there is no reason you shouldn't have a trouble free trip concerning the truck. 5000 appears to be a low estimate for that trip but even at that no problem.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

x2
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add to Old-Biscuit's comments - do some route planning.

There's often more than one way to get to a place. Pre-planning may let you bypass some of the grades. For example, there are a few ways to go between Cody, WY and Rapid City, SD. Some routes have more steep grades than others. A little research can save some stress.

Take your time, follow the advice from the others, and I'd guess you'll be just fine.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GO down in same gear you go up

DON'T ride the brakes......use brakes firmly to scrub off 10 mph of speed then get off brakes, Repeat as necessary

Use tow/haul mode if equipped

Downshift and allow transmission to slow/hold speed when going down

Going on a long trip is just a bunch of short trips strung together.

Enjoy the short trips,
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31