cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1960 Montgomery Ward Tent Camper

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
This is a recently restored Montgomery Ward Hawthorne Traveler folding tent camper. I bought it last June. Though it needed work, it was complete in every way right down to the tent poles, ropes and stakes. It was purchased from an estate sale garage where it had been stored for over 30 years.

The canvas was in fantastic condition for 55 years old except for a couple of mouse chews and a couple tears where it snagged on the supporting bows and hardware. A local Amish canvas shop repaired the canvas and replaced the door and window screens. The screens were so brittle they were cracked in several places. the door was especially bad. The brass zippers were all excellent and work perfectly.

New tires and wheels were ordered, wheel bearings were serviced. The wiring harness was updated. The body was sanded and painted as was the under carriage.
The original hub caps were quite rusty and dented. I beat out the dents and removed the rust with steel wool and white vinegar. A little Mother's polish and they look good from a few feet away.

Damaged canvas

Old yellow over the original silver

In the end I went with a desert sand color. Something that would look OK with any tow vehicle.

Getting closer

Road test! It pulls nicely, no sway or excessive bouncing.

First set up since canvas repair and repaint.

The kitchen fly doubles as the top cover while in transit.

Inside

New screens!

Amazing what you can find online. Original literature...

31 REPLIES 31

gheicher
Explorer
Explorer
The good-ole-days when things were simpler. One funny story with the Nimrod - My small daughter was inside playing on her sleeping bag when she all at once slid out between the canvas and the plywood bottom (kind of like being flushed down the sewer). Her mom saw her going and not knowing to where she disappeared started digging through the bedding. Meanwhile my daughter jumps up off the ground outside and comes in the door laughing. Great times!

Here's a couple of more pics while camping with the Nimrod - clicky

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
flat_twin wrote:
gheicher, That's a great photo, thanks for posting it! We always tent camped when we were growing up (mid 1960's and up). Our neighbors had a tent camper something like yours with two beds . I thought it was the coolest thing for camping. It looked great behind their gigantic Buick station wagon.

Reminds me of this collection of vintage camping photos. Many photos here.
Enjoy!

LINKY

A lot of similar photos for Caravans in Australia's past

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picture of my tent is in a pictures thread in the tent camping forum.

OK, that thread got buried. I'll try to link it from FB where I use it time to time as a cover photo. The cook is my wife, a long time ago. She would have celebrated her 69th birthday today if not for the cancer.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Awesome! I hope the tenting holds up for you.

I have a 41-year old canvas 7x7 umbrella tent I can keep usable with repair skills learned in Scouts, but it gets to be more difficult as what I am patching to gets more fragile. I think the key to keeping a canvas tent useful is to never store it wet, and for something going in a box like that, not pinching it.

I don't have as much faith in the modern plastic-coated tent fabrics, as they constantly evaporate their plasticizers. I've been looking at used PUPs, wondering "what will it cost to have a canvas tent made for this?"

How about a pic of your tent? Before buying the tent trailer we would camp in this Hettrick tent when we wanted the canvas smell.

Yes, poorly stored cotton canvas doesn't last long. I found out the hard way with a similar cabin tent many years ago. You may be right about modern canvas/synthetic blends degrading with time even if they're stored dry.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome! I hope the tenting holds up for you.

I have a 41-year old canvas 7x7 umbrella tent I can keep usable with repair skills learned in Scouts, but it gets to be more difficult as what I am patching to gets more fragile. I think the key to keeping a canvas tent useful is to never store it wet, and for something going in a box like that, not pinching it.

I don't have as much faith in the modern plastic-coated tent fabrics, as they constantly evaporate their plasticizers. I've been looking at used PUPs, wondering "what will it cost to have a canvas tent made for this?"
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
A Nimrod! Now that takes me back! Earliest pop-up my parents owned was an E-Z Camper. Unfolded to nothing but the beds; no storage, no stove, no nuthin'. Loved it back then.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Nimrod, just like gheiser's.
All 5 kids, and two adults!! (Yeah, the kids were only about 1 1/2 yrs apart, and were his, hers, and ours!
I don't have any pics, but when we sold it, and moved up to a "Wheelcamper" pop up trailer, we thought we were in heaven with a full size bed, and no kids in it with us. I admit to letting the three boys camp in a big pup tent when the weather was nice though. We even had a big old wash tub we kept full of water by the fire for washing faces, and even whole kids when they got too dirty!

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
Just yesterday I pm'd Roy about those photos and commented on so many features built into the exterior of an off road pop up. Amazing all the slide out options coming out of that Pioneer model. Wow!

Plague proportions eh? That says a lot coming from an Australian! Thank you Robert

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Thanks for the memory lane run... Wards and Sears sold everything like that back in those days...

Sears used to sell modern modular houses back in the early 1900s

Reminded me of what Robert Ryan from Australia sends on here from time to time showing their OUTBACK camping trailers...

Roy Ken

Roy, a lot of newer more advanced versions of these coming out. This is Pioneer CamperTrailers , the unit has it's own dual use air conditioningWhole going Off Road thing here has reached plague proportions

To the extent that many are moving into vastly expanded factories and showrooms

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos..... boy , i'll tell you, when we were growing up, thats the kinda stuff we saw at campgrounds..... not bigass motorhomes n trailers with big screen tv's and A/C. Life was so much simpler back than, it wasn't about..... mine is bigger than yours! ( rv.s..lol)
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
flat_twin wrote:

Reminds me of this collection of vintage camping photos. Many photos here.
Enjoy!

LINKY

Great link... I have to set aside a weekend to go through all those pictures!

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is really cool. Enjoying these old pictures. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! I was afraid you didn't post any pics.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

twichers
Explorer
Explorer
Love it! Brings back memories of camping in the 60s and 70s - we had up to 5kids plus parents in a starcraft popup