cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 Dodge 1500

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
My son is looking at a 99 Ram 1500 p/u. The vehicle looks very clean, has 4 good tires and someone kept up on the maintenance. But it does has some minor problems:
1) Gas gauge doesn't work
2) A/c works sometimes, owner thinks it may be the battery
3) Heater hose leak
4) mystery ticking in the left side engine compartment about 50 mph

The paint is in excellent condition especially since it's a burgundy color, belt look look new.

They are asking $1200 what do you Ram people think?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
23 REPLIES 23

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also had a 97 Dodge Ram Conv. van with the 5.9L and 3.90 rear end. best vehicle I have had. Always ran great. the only thing I did was replace the intake plenum gasket (oil usage) and replaced the radiator (preventative maint.) I wish I still had it, but it wouldn't have been able to pull our current trailer.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1999 dodge 2500 360, 5 speed. It was a great truck, if it had a crew cab where I could haul the kids, I would still have it. I bought it for $3500 drove it for five years and sold it for $3500. All I ever had to do to it were tires, clutch and a water pump. The truck was in a wreck before I had it, but it was fixed correctly, so that never concerned me. The fifth wheel I pulled with it was a little too big for the truck, but I could put it in fourth gear and hold the gas to the floor and it would never even get warm, it would just keep pulling down the road till time to stop. At some point everyone should have to drive a cheap vehicle, makes you appreciate the nice ones down the road.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Intermittent A/C might be a low charge, might be a stuck blend door. Easy fix: if it always blows cold with a cold engine, it's the blend door. Cheap fix: install a shutoff valve in the heater hose.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
My '94 Dodge RAM 2500HD with the 5.9 gas engine is still running (in Mexico) on the original engine (just a little less than 300,000 miles) and once rebuilt tranny. Upholstery is worn out, dash cracked, paint is good (Earl Scheib job) A/C works (needed some serious service back in 2004), all 4x4 drive train stuff works fine.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

blt2ski
So are we saying I should trade in my 2000 GM C2500 with 125K miles, I've owned since new.............

As long as it does not need an engine etc.....probably a good first truck for your son. My sons were in to yota cars at that age. They each still own one that became their toy to play with on weekends. Look pretty good actually. They ea have now trucks for work less than 5 years old.

If any of us were into knuckle bashing, who did not have a first rig that did not need some wrenching?!?!?

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
The AC has nothing to do with the battery, other than it needs 12V power to work. More likely problem is a bad electrical connection, switch or the AC clutch itself. The "leaking heater hose" (easy fix) could actually be a leaking heater core (not an easy fix).

Those 2 would concern me A LOT !

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
TurnThePage wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
All FCA vehicle do not hold up well against the test of time. Usually electrical issues that are difficult/expensive to fix.

I would pass.
This BS gets old.

Yeah, that's absolute total garbage.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
If the owner has a clean title and appears trustworthy I would not think twice about it. Sure there is a risk buying used, and buying used for $1,200 increases the risk, but seriously, that is a very low price for a decent running vehicle. I have purchased a few low cost cars over the years when I was a young guy and also helping the kids with their first cars (their money, I helped pick the car). Every one was well worth the money when you considered cost of ownership. Would advise your son to have a maintenance / replacement budget which is appropriate for any vehicle whether $1,200 or $50,000.

Good luck,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
That was actually the Daimler years...

Anyway, FWIW, I have a '97 2500 4x that is a work truck. Get abused mercilessly. Always starts, always goes, and never fails to make it to home depot and back.

As has been stated. The 360s are pretty bomber, and expensive repairs are rare.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a good deal. Its very hard to find a running driving truck in decent shape for even $3k.

The gas gauge is more than likely the sending unit in the tank. If you replace it your better off doing the entire fuel pump assembly with the sending unit.

The AC could be anything but the battery.

Heater hose leak? maybe. My guess would be either the bypass hose or T-stat gasket, a water pump is also a possibility.

Ticking noise could be a leaky exhaust manifold. they tick when cold and goes away when warm. If its in the engine it will be a bit harder to diagnose.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drive a โ€˜99 Dodge Ram (although mine is a Cummins diesel).
It isnโ€™t falling apart, itโ€™s extremely nice.
At that price, like the others said, why not.
Picking it apart for having some issues and claiming itโ€™s because itโ€™s a Chrysler is ridiculous.
Itโ€™s a $1200 truck, thatโ€™s to be expected.
Sounds like a deal to me.

2nd-Gen Dodges like that have a common glitch with the dashboard top getting brittle and cracking apart. Replacements are now available.
If the driverโ€™s seat bottom upholstery is torn, the trick on those trucks is to swap on a passenger side seat bottom from a parts truck, they go right on in minutes, just four bolts on the underside.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
$1200 for anything that runs is cheap.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure it has not been wrecked, a thorough frame inspection will show clues. Pay particular attention to the ball joints and tie rod ends. It wouldn't take long to sink another $1200 into it.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
For $1200 if it runs and drives he can almost certainly get $1200 for it reselling it. Not much of a risk for a 4wd pickup. Around here that'd be worth double that (Canada).
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV