cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 1/2" receiver on new trucks with extension?

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking at a new Ram 3500 and it comes with a 2 1/2" receiver as does Ford and not sure on Chevy.
I had the Reese Titan on my DRW and used a 4 ft extension when carrying a Lance.
Are these stock receivers strong enough to support the leverage of the extensions.
I'm sure it won't be like a Torquelift or even Reese but has anyone done this?
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
30 REPLIES 30

Bedlam
The chain, clevis and turnbuckle are provided by Torklift with the SuperTruss. The extension is pinned into two receivers and the chains prevent side loads from leveraging too much on the dual receivers. This is a solid setup and does not need additional hardware.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree , TS does not carry high grade . To get to a 10,000 lb shackle you are talking USA in 3/4" . It doesn't look like what you have from the picture . I am not saying you need this , I don't know what TL design criteria is for lateral loads .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without looking at the pieces and identifying them, you can't really judge the strength of the items. For example, most of the Clevis connectors sold at tractors stores are actually lower rate. When I was buying those parts for vehicle recovery, I had to go to a crane supplier to get the strength I needed. For what looks like a 3/8" clevis, the 5T rating is the max you can get and the one at tractor supply stores will usually only be 2-1/2T.

Would assume the turnbuckles are also high grade forged loop ends which makes them about as strong as possible.

Since you trust Superhitch with the hitch itself, wouldn't it be prudent to also trust them with the other hardware supplies? Without really knowing the specs of the hardware provided, I would be very reluctant to swap out hardware with other hardware that may not actually be up to the task.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
something to think about
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
Hi Buzzcut!

Glad to see you made the upgrade on the tires. The supertruss is a well known hitch for heavy duty application. Going with the Beefy upgrades you have done, the fasteners you are using makes me nervous. I say this from investigating hundreds of trailer/towing accidents. You are using a high grade chain, mixed with low grade rated turnbuckles and Cleve connectors. Sort of the strength is as strong your your weakest link. A Tractor Supply or Ranch Supply would be a better sourcing location for these parts. Also consider the D ring and how beefy it is, as well. As you know from, your work. Too many will disregard as"I've always done it this way." Have fun and the best to you and the wife!

b

The chains and turnbuckles Cleve connectors are what torklift supplied, never thought about upgrading. The D rings are rated at 10k as are the keyed lock pins holding the extension to the receiver and the husky weight distribution hitch into the extension.
Then you should really switch them out then. As they are not up to the strength you are needing to protect your family, horse as d others on the road. As you shared, you upgraded your tires to increase your safety margin, you should here as well. At least to match the chain's strength (Grade 8?) that is in between the low grade connectors.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
bka0721 wrote:
Hi Buzzcut!

Glad to see you made the upgrade on the tires. The supertruss is a well known hitch for heavy duty application. Going with the Beefy upgrades you have done, the fasteners you are using makes me nervous. I say this from investigating hundreds of trailer/towing accidents. You are using a high grade chain, mixed with low grade rated turnbuckles and Cleve connectors. Sort of the strength is as strong your your weakest link. A Tractor Supply or Ranch Supply would be a better sourcing location for these parts. Also consider the D ring and how beefy it is, as well. As you know from, your work. Too many will disregard as"I've always done it this way." Have fun and the best to you and the wife!

b

The chains and turnbuckles Cleve connectors are what torklift supplied, never thought about upgrading. The D rings are rated at 10k as are the keyed lock pins holding the extension to the receiver and the husky weight distribution hitch into the extension.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Buzzcut!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Ford originally came with a class 5 receiver but after running the numbers for the horse trailer I swapped it out for a Superhitch and a 48" extension. It just isn't worth the risk of metal failure and potential injury to the horses and wrecking the rig over a few hundred dollars.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
A 2.5" receiver is stronger than a 2" - that's why it's that size.

Even when both are the same class, still stronger..look under there and see what the capacity is. Many 2.5's have tongue ratings over 2000lbs.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A 2.5" receiver is stronger than a 2" - that's why it's that size.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using the Ford hitch mentioned by Golden_HVAC, the design only accounts for 666 ft-lb of torque. Compared to the 800 ft-lb of torque the 200# load at 4'. These are only static (non-moving) measurements.

Now, when you throw in the momentum which is also multiplies due to the length, you will exceed the hitch rating with much less weight. Good example would be to hold a 20# weight next to your shoulder for two minutes. Now hold a 2# weight at arm's length for two minutes. Pretty easy huh? Now do the same, but this time while jumping up and down. Understand better?
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
200 pounds sitting on the end of a 4' hitch extension is 800 foot pounds! It is like trying to twist your hitch off the mounting bolts.

While the Ford hitch is designed to handle more than 1,000 pounds at 8" from the hitch end, (like a normal receiver) putting 200 pounds 4 feet back is more like 800 pounds and will be near the limit of the hitch ability.

The Super Hitch with dual receivers act much like a bridge support, where the bottom and top ones can both transfer some of the weight, and it is stronger than a single one, by a factor of about 2.5.

So yes it will depend on what you will be towing. If it is horses, I would go for the Super Hitch upgrade! If nothing live would be in there, and the hitch weight will be less than say 350 pounds, then the 2.5" hitch is pretty strong, and should work fine.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
My new silverado has a class V hitch.

Bedlam
It depends on what you want to tow. If you have an opportunity to compare a Curt, Reese or Draw-Tite to a Superhitch, they will look small. It's one thing to be able carry a heavy weight on a receiver, it is some thing else to put that weight on a 4' extension. Take a good look at the OEM receivers and you will see the 2.5" are still smaller and lighter than any of the aftermarket ones I mentioned.

I just went through this on my chassis cab. Although many deck/bed builds will integrate a 10k-20k lb receiver into the rear skirt, none of them would allow towing more than 5000 lbs with an extension.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new 2007 Chevy that came from the factory with a 2.5" receiver. I used it with a Reese 4' extension to tow my 4,500 pound boat and sometimes my 5,000 pound cargo trailer. I didn't have any problems with the set up. I did this for about 2 years until I upgraded to a dually. The dually only had a 2" receiver so I replaced it with a Superhitch.