cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2000 F250 rear leaf spring replacement question.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
My left rear leaf spring is bent near the front shackle causing the left side to be 1-1/2" lower than the right side. A bad left lean when the TC is on the truck. Has anybody replaced or able to recommend a heavier duty spring, F350, F450, aftermarket, that is a direct replacement for the springs I have. I don't care about ride smoothness. I want better TC load handling capacity.

12/20/2018
Video of new springs,

12/21/2018
Video Of New Frame Shackle Mounts and Shackles.

All the parts are in. This baby happens Saturday.
33 REPLIES 33

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Nice!
That’ll make a huge difference Jeff.

I'm hoping so. I'd prefer not to have to drive the
"Leaning Tower of Truck Camper"
down the road.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
What are the new springs made of, gold?

Local spring shop recurved a set of springs and added a leaf for $150. Including taking them off the truck and putting them back on.

It sounds like the spring gods like you better than me. You got the Deal of the century for your upgrade. Considering per hour shop time, price of an add a leaf spring, time to disassemble the spring pack and clamps and new parts with larger clamps plus time to reassemble the now thicker spring pack. I suppose the job could be done with the springs in the vehicle. Just undo the U-bolts, leave the main leaf and remove the other leaves, insert the add a leaf, then reassemble the rest of the leaves back into the spring pack, clamp things together with new teflon pads between leaves. When finished however, you still have an old set of springs that have been stressed through years of use.
Doing the job myself will save me half the cost, $1200.00, from having the local reputable spring shop do it for me. Got my helpers, all mechanically inclined, lined up. Have funding for pizza and beer. This may happen over the weekend if the parts get here. I'll need to setup tarps because the weather is supposed to suck. I'll also get all 4 wheels brake pads replaced. The truck and camper are going to be in good shape for my little trip coming up. That'll be another post.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice!
That’ll make a huge difference Jeff.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What are the new springs made of, gold?

Local spring shop recurved a set of springs and added a leaf for $150. Including taking them off the truck and putting them back on.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
MikeJinCO wrote:
Just a caution. When I had to have my GMC 3500 springs replaced I used the 7 leaf 3300lb ea and the springs themselves were heavy enough I couldn't move them by myself. It is a job for young strong folks with HD air tools. Yes the unloaded ride is pretty rough, but the campers on have have been in the 5k pound range.

I'm a decent condition 60 yo still working construction. I do have access to youngins and friends who will help for pizza.

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer
Just a caution. When I had to have my GMC 3500 springs replaced I used the 7 leaf 3300lb ea and the springs themselves were heavy enough I couldn't move them by myself. It is a job for young strong folks with HD air tools. Yes the unloaded ride is pretty rough, but the campers on have have been in the 5k pound range.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Made my calls today. 1200.00 installed by Gitt Spring. 600.00 for the 4400# pair, 2 install kits with bolts, shackles, U Bolts, everything needed. The parts will be here in 7 days, I'll install the following weekend. Looking forward to having a level ride again. I'll keep the Firestone airbags for leveling. I also like that they will provide three load points on the frame. I'll keep you posted on progress. Also replacing disk pads and 2 tires.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ivylog wrote:
If you do not have the camper package, now may be the time to add...F350 spring setup.

I believe the truck has a camper or some load package. 5 leaf rear spring packs and a large rear sway bar.

Tried to call this AM only to discover they are closed, open Monday through Friday.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you do not have the camper package, now may be the time to add...F350 spring setup.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
There's a spring suspension shop, "Gitts", a frame shop I have used, recommended. I'll give them a hollar and see what they'll charge and what they'll do as part of the Installation. If reasonable, I may have them do it and take the easy out.

kjenckes
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 6/1 springs last winter from SD Springs. My son and I changed them, but to be fair, he's a diesel mechanic and we did it at his shop. Took the bed off for easier access and used air tools. Far better carrying capacity than the OEM 4/1 springs. Truck sits level loaded with my Lance 820 now and at same height it used to sit empty. The ride is a tad stiff empty though.
1996 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3PSD 445,000 miles!
6/1 springs
3400# tires

2005 Lance 820
Solar, Generator, AC

1997 Ranger 487 Bass Boat
Too much stuff to list

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the aforementioned SD Springs, check out:

Alcan Springs

and

Deaver Springs

Bedlam
Check out SDTruckSprings.com for replacement spring packs at higher ratings.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 Some jobs are more work than they are worth without the right equipment. A proper automotive hoist is almost mandatory for changing springs. I once had a shop change a muffler, 8 1/2 minutes on the hoist. For what they charged for labor no way I was spending an afternoon on my back with a hacksaw, cold chisel and hammer.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Just surfing info from, many vendors-
Once VIN code obtained to identify what you have VIN code see what options.
SD trucksprings-
OEM style 3000# 4/1 replacement

Hd 4400# 6/1

GeneralSpring Ford 99-07 springs Offers a few more rating options.

Ubolts most would recommend new- length though-IE if you have factory upper O/L etc would be variable. Which wouldn't hurt to pre soak old ones with some penetrating oil if doing it yourself, Impact, torch to heat may be helpful.
3000# most common oem, not sure though jumping to 4400 how ride effected?
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com