cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fords on fire

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.tfltruck.com/2018/12/ford-recalls-874k-pickup-trucks-after-3-reports-of-fire/
19 REPLIES 19

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Any time its below freezing I plug in my diesel...just easier on the engine despite using synthetics. Its not a macho thing, just want it to last a LONG time.

BTW Ford does "cold climate" testing in a variety of areas depending on where its super cold. In the late 90's they brought a fleet of "covered" vehicles to Hay River in the NWT for a week to put them through their paces. The next year we were too warm so they went elsewhere.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lessmore wrote:

Where I am we go down to -35 or -40 below, on occasion. In fact the FoMoCo has a cold testing site in the northern part of our province.

Last I knew, they were doing most of their cold weather testing in Yellowknife.

Some was done in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I am almost certain that a block heater is standard on every CTD. All 3 of mine had them.

Yes, they all come with a block heater, but the cord to plug into an outlet is optional. It's called the 'Cold Weather Package' and it's a $35 cord that connects to the block heater.

My truck didn't come with the cord and I installed one a few years ago. While the truck will start fine without a block heater, it's really nice on cold nights because it warms up quicker.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Installed remote start on my 2004 F250 6.8 V10 and no issues and I have warm truck in the winter and cold in summer mine sits outside hence the remote starter and my next truck will too. I should add I used to add coolant heaters on bottom hoses before I got remote start
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Lessmore
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
ib516 wrote:
Here in Canada, almost everything (except some German and Japanense mfg cars) comes standard with one. If it doesn't already have one you best get one. Maybe not so much in Florida :B

Any modern fuel injected vehicle, in good condition, with a fully charged battery and synthetic 5W-20 motor oil should start with no problems down to -20C !

Where I am we go down to -35 or -40 below, on occasion. In fact the FoMoCo has a cold testing site in the northern part of our province.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
My old '97 F150 came with a block heater, which ultimately corroded to the point it spewed all the coolant out about an hour from home. Last block heater for this guy. I keep it in a garage at night.

That is not isolated to block heaters. We had a chevy Beretta that had the freeze plugs rust out and drain the coolant leaving us stranded. This is also the car that had the bad door hinge pins allowing the door to fall off when opened.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Vehicles these days really are amazing and basically idiot proof. Years ago we would never consider towing over a mountain with our foot planted on the floor and not expect a vehicle to not get hot.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
romore wrote:
My Ram ctd was presumably originally sold in the southern U.S., speedo is in mph and no blockheater. I haven't missed it yet although I don't get warm air for the first ten minutes.
I have seen problems with faulty heaters but it is usually burnt or chafed cords due to sloppy installation.
I am almost certain that a block heater is standard on every CTD. All 3 of mine had them.

The block heater is installed in the engine.
Now if you want a cord to plug the heater in...โ€ฆ.$$$$

Only if yoir foolish enough to get it at a dealer. Places like Genos garage sell them for under 50 dollars.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
romore wrote:
My Ram ctd was presumably originally sold in the southern U.S., speedo is in mph and no blockheater. I haven't missed it yet although I don't get warm air for the first ten minutes.
I have seen problems with faulty heaters but it is usually burnt or chafed cords due to sloppy installation.

The block heater is installed in the engine.
Now if you want a cord to plug the heater in...โ€ฆ.$$$$

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
My old '97 F150 came with a block heater, which ultimately corroded to the point it spewed all the coolant out about an hour from home. Last block heater for this guy. I keep it in a garage at night.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
I just read that. Mine was built in March. Guess its a good thing I havent used the block heater.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my f150 in June, I asked why it had a block heater. The salesman said because all F150's that have a destination north of a certain line in the usa get block heaters.