cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 F350 "wrench" issue

soccrman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all - hope you can steer me in the right direction here before I take it to a dealer to get hosed!!

First time towing with a new - to me - 2005 F350 diesel. Pulling up a steepish hill at 3400 rpm and about 30% turbo the orange "wrench" light on the dash came on and the truck wouldn't do over 2250 rpm. This happened 3 times but each time I stopped, 5 min break, started again and it disappeared and truck ran normally until the next big hill. It happened in both tow haul and normal. My trailer is not heavy - maybe 8000lbs tops.

I used to own a 2004 F350 so I know all the issues - but this is a new one. The 2004 was actually an excellent truck once I sorted it out and I would still have it if it wasn't STOLEN!!

This one has 212000kms and runs decent. I had it checked at local diesel shop.

Is this a sensor, transmission or engine issue!!

Thx for all your help.

Cheers,

Dave R
FINALLY - bought a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga - magic - looking fwd to more adventures in a C
2005 F350 diesel - glutton for punishment!!:D - ALSO STOLEN
2004 F350 diesel SRW STOLEN
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 26.5 BHS - SOLD
19 REPLIES 19

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
METZCOOL wrote:

This is sign of plugged oil cooler.
Ditto. The wrench light will illuminate when the difference in temperature between oil and coolant exceeds fifteen degrees. The oil cooler clogs up, which starves the EGR cooler of coolant, which causes the EGR coolant to rupture, which causes coolant to enter the combustion cylinders, causing head gasket failure.

'Bulletproofing" the truck, which consists of head studs, new head gaskets, new oil cooler, and a redesigned EGR cooler is the answer to the problem. Talk to a reliable diesel shop about what it would cost. I did all that, plus some other goodies like a 4 inch exhaust and additional transmission filters for $5K.

Good luck. Once bulletproofed the truck should give you no further trouble.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

soccrman
Explorer
Explorer
Thx guys, great advice and helpful tips!!

Much appreciate the people on this forum. Very wise!! (except the dodge guy!!);)

Cheers

Dave R
FINALLY - bought a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga - magic - looking fwd to more adventures in a C

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said in my first post. You truck is having an overboost condition. The shop that put your injector in and told you it was fixed is the last place I would take it. I run mine like it's stolen and it will not hurt itself. Get the turbo cleaned and problem will be solved. If you baby it much you will be having it cleaned regularly. Again simple fix, get the turbo cleaned.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
camping man wrote:
Get it repaired, and trade it in on an older Dodge.

I don't think the OP wants a downgrade to an OK engine mated to vastly inferior truck.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
Actuall I believe you where just pushing the truck and turbo too hard. I would have to dig around to find the link, but I remember several 6.0 discussions about the stock limit on the turbo was 28psi before the engine would derate itself.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
soccrman wrote:
Update 2 - had the injector fixed and this weekend did the trip up to Banff pulling the 5thW. Truck has run fine since it was fixed when not towing BUT the dreaded wrench came on again when I was on the way out of town!! Pulling fairly hard up a hill. Disappeared again when turned off and on again.
On the way back driving the same roads/hills I decided to not let the turbo psi get over 30 - and NO WRENCH and power down!! Truck ran smoothly all the way. Not exactly sure what that means but will continue to monitor and get fluids changed as I can afford it.

Cheers,

DR

Sounds like over boost to me. And that sounds like the VV are sticking to me. Wonder how the shop figured the turbo was working fine?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Bedlam
64thunderbolt wrote:
Hammer? I think the redline on a stock 6.0 is around 4200.

The tunes in my 7.3 turn 3800

They are V8's

I would think the oil cooler is the culprit and the high oil temps are causing it to defuel (limp mode)

Peak horsepower on the 6.0 is at 3300 RPM. There is little need to go beyond that. On a long pull, I keep the RPMs under 3000 and the turbo is boosting something around 25 PSI (this is with 19K lb GCW).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
Get it repaired, and trade it in on an older Dodge.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by my mechanic to keep turbo below 28 psi, said these trucks do not like that much pressure. Today I passed two 18 wheelers on a 1 mile 5° grade at 2800 rpm and 21psi on turbo with my 2006 F350. Doing 55 mph. Take it easy and she will treat you fine.

Let me edit a little on take it easy, as others have said don't baby it. They like to be driven hard but overboosting you'd turbo is not good for your truck. I drive every Saturday when not towing and once warmed up take the turbo to 25-28 psi to keep the vanes moving freely. Have not had any turbo issues since doing this.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

soccrman
Explorer
Explorer
Update 2 - had the injector fixed and this weekend did the trip up to Banff pulling the 5thW. Truck has run fine since it was fixed when not towing BUT the dreaded wrench came on again when I was on the way out of town!! Pulling fairly hard up a hill. Disappeared again when turned off and on again.
On the way back driving the same roads/hills I decided to not let the turbo psi get over 30 - and NO WRENCH and power down!! Truck ran smoothly all the way. Not exactly sure what that means but will continue to monitor and get fluids changed as I can afford it.

Cheers,

DR

soccrman
Explorer
Explorer
Update - had the codes checked again this week. Local diesel shop told me the issue is injector #3 that needs replacing!! Oil cooler, turbo, EGT are all working fine.

I did put the truck in for a check up with them before and they told me the same thing. I am just surprised that the engine shut down the way it did when towing. It runs fine, after warming up, when not towing.

Will have to wait to do the repairs but need to do it before heading to W coast to see daughter!!

Thx for all replies and tips!!

Dave R

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Get the codes pulled. It could be something as simple as a dirty turbo. I had mine go into limp mode from an overboost condition. Had to clean the turbo.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
A number of things will cause the 6.0 diesel to power down.
The oil cooler is THE MOST common problem causing that symptom.
Forget the dash indicator needles - they're worthless.
Get a ScanGuage II to monitor EOT (engine oil temperature) and ECT (engine coolant temperature).
When the engine oil temperature reaches 250 degrees it will cause the engine to de-power like you describe.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hammer? I think the redline on a stock 6.0 is around 4200.

The tunes in my 7.3 turn 3800

They are V8's

I would think the oil cooler is the culprit and the high oil temps are causing it to defuel (limp mode)
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp