cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 Chevy Silverado HD Duramax,Diesel Allison Transmission

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Chevy Silverado HD Duramax Diesel with an Allison transmission, that now has 200,000 miles on it. 85% of those are over the road miles. We have had it serviced and taken excellent care of it. The interior is in great condition.
So Here is our question, My husband wants to trade for a new truck. But the price we are looking at is almost out of our fixed income budget. We could do it, but do we want to?
So the next question is the important one. How many more miles can we expect to get out of our truck if we keep it???
We live in Kansas and we are planning a trip to Arkansas, California, and Colorado this year. And maybe the same next year. The next five years we plan on traveling a lot, so do we keep it? Or trade and take on those huge payments? What would you do?
Loves to camp in a 5er 🙂
47 REPLIES 47

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with other posters, the overheating is a concern. I know the GM gassers are known to have gasket problems. If it is a head gasket, it could be allowing air into the cooling loop which would cause air pockets in the loop. It wouldn’t overheat all the time, but would get progressively worse as the leak becomes more pronounced. Do the Duramaxers also have a problem with gaskets? I
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Jakessweetthing wrote:

They ran a diagnostic test on it and found nothing. We think it was a HOT Day, We had been traveling all day in the heat and this happened between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park Co., the end of July. Its been running fine ever since. We are going to have the radiator flushed out before our next trip. AND We HAVE decided to Keep it! 🙂

Hot day or not, the cooling system should keep up with demand. Did you ever have the cooling system flushed and refilled prior to that? If not, that could have been your problem. DexCool is only rated for 5 years and even then I think I'd change it sooner than that.

Glad you decided to keep it. As others have stated just put some money away on the side each month and keep that reserve of if/when repairs are needed.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 GMC club cab 4x4 LBZ only has 110K... I intend on driving for many moons... the overheat condition you experienced could be due to air trapped in the cool8ng system.. when radiator coolant is replaced it’s imoerative on a duramax to make sure the bleed screw is opened after filling to burp the trapped air.. I’d check that as well as condition of cleanliness of radiator and tranny cooler fins..

If you have a buildup on those fins or between them it could cause cooling issues.. I regularly tow in over 100 degree weather with my LBZ and never have seen abnormal temps...

Yea so you might replace the front wheel bearings, shocks, etc... mighty cheap compared to 55K plus the6 are asking for the new ones

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, congrats on your decision. I hope you are happy with your decision... I think its the correct one. Be ready to invest some money into preventative maintenance and that truck should last you a LONG time!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear your keeping the ole girl, new ones are nice and fancy but if I had your truck I would keep it as long as it was in good shape. This what I told my father last year when he started looking at new ones.

As others have said do the service and have it looked over and put another season of camping behind you.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Don't let anyone power flush the transmission. Simple complete fluid replacement is a good maint measure though along with changing the spin on filter every couple of oil changes.
FWIW Castrol Transynd is considered the best trans fluid. Idk why, but used to be, may still be, that Allison wou,d double the OE warranty on commercial Alli transmissions if replaced with Transynd. (Note I don't usually get into what oil is best debates, but got in biased reccomendstion for this from an Allison service center....and I didn't buy anything from them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
Jakessweetthing wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Jakessweetthing wrote:
Our truck overheated going through the mountains last summer and we have worried a little about it since. But its a good truck and we have never had anything go wrong with it other than that. We are leaning on keeping it. And just setting money back for anything major. We keep it well maintained and service on a regular basis.

The overheating incident would concern me. Did you find the cause and fix it or do you just cool down and go on. If it was an unknown cause I would be worried it could happen on another trip.

They ran a diagnostic test on it and found nothing. We think it was a HOT Day, We had been traveling all day in the heat and this happened between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park Co., the end of July. Its been running fine ever since. We are going to have the radiator flushed out before our next trip. AND We HAVE decided to Keep it! 🙂

It's also possible your fan clutch is going out.

Yes we are going to have that checked out. Thank you
Loves to camp in a 5er 🙂

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
have the 2 idler pullys and belt changed . they are difficult on the road. been there when one bearing siezed, broke the belt. Give the tranny all the love and service you can

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Jakessweetthing wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Jakessweetthing wrote:
Our truck overheated going through the mountains last summer and we have worried a little about it since. But its a good truck and we have never had anything go wrong with it other than that. We are leaning on keeping it. And just setting money back for anything major. We keep it well maintained and service on a regular basis.

The overheating incident would concern me. Did you find the cause and fix it or do you just cool down and go on. If it was an unknown cause I would be worried it could happen on another trip.

It's also possible your fan clutch is going out.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
We Want to thank ALL of you for your input. We have been reading all of these comments, and have decided to KEEP our truck. We have peace about it now. SO THANK YOU ALL very much. We are taking it in on Thursday to have the oil changed and see what else might need taken care of. We really love this truck and it has been good to us and has given us lots of Great memories, THANKS
Loves to camp in a 5er 🙂

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
Jakessweetthing wrote:

Loves to camp in a 5er 🙂

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
the '07 Duramax is one of the best tow trucks ever built. Reliable, economical and capable. I doubt if any new one (cough-DEF, cough-fuel mileage, cough-complexity) will be any better for all 3 measures.

It's a real classic. You might just keep a maintenance kitty $$ and save the difference for a new truck. But worse case, repair costs would still be less than a new truck. The only downside is failure on the road and driving a dated truck. Probably the deciding factor is to have a reputable mechanic to keep it going before something bad happens.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The 2007 Duramax combo is an awesome drivetrain because it was the end of the pre emissions era reason. 2007 was the culmination of a few years of improvements. By 2007 They had really gotten it right.
Emissions and all the complexity and reliability issues that go with it began in 2008.
Pre-Emissions is what makes that truck so special and very desirable.
Hold on to it . It is really a easy decision.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
My father has a 07 gmc 3500 drw classic with the Dmax, I know he will be driving it to the cemetery ...those were his words. It has been a good truck and shows no sign of giving up, If it were mine id keep it rolling!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside