cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 F350 What to ask?

Charli
Explorer
Explorer
We have started the process of preparing for a fully retired lifestyle which will see us becoming snowbirds next winter. We are still searching for a larger 5er and have sold our 3/4T a few weeks ago. I now have a line on a 2011 F350 King Ranch with 60,000 km. it is located 4 hrs from home but is on the way to visit family for Xmas and will be stopping in Monday to view it. I am not even close to considering myself a mechanic so thought this would be an ideal place to get some suggestions on what to look for.
Here are some of the questions I have emailed to the salesman?
Car Proof History Report, including details of Original ownership, Any accidents, Service history; i.e. Any major repair work outside of regular maintenance, Mfg date, In-service date.
# of Hours on motor? # of Idle Hours on motor?
Does the F350 have in-bed 5th wheel hitch mounts?
If any of you have suggestions of other things I should be asking or looking for when I inspect and test drive the vehicle I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks
'11 F350 KR, 4x4, PSD
'14 Mountaineer 331RLT
19 REPLIES 19

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
pitch wrote:
Seems like a real nice truck. Idle hours seem high. Good luck with it.

I would agree VERY high.

B&W is top quality, compare side by side to REESE.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like a real nice truck. Idle hours seem high. Good luck with it.

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
You got the right tool for the job !!! Have fun !

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats.. Post some pics!, I would recommend going on the king ranch web site and buying the seat conditioner/cleaner ... Or buy a quality saddle conditioner. My 2011 KR is just starting to wear a little, but on the same note, they continue to get softer! I condition mine every 3-4 weeks. Enjoy
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supercharged wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
It sounds like he plans on hauling a fifth wheel, how many small pickups have you seen doing that?
I pulled one for 35 thuosand miles will out any problems behind a 1/2, Had a flat of two and that was it. Climbed the highest Rocky Mtn. easy. Big is bad, little is great.

Oh No! SC's drugs are out of balance yet again! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Congrats on the new truck... I'm sure your going to luv it! These trucks pull like a dream and make great fuel economy.

I just did a 110 mile round trip to the dear camp and made a sweet 21 mpg with my 6.7 Power Stroke Super Duty. I'm loving it! :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:

If I was looking for a used truck I would avoid one that had been lifted or had oversize tires put on it or had been used for towing. No way to know how badly the parts have been abused so best to avoid the truck altogether.

Ummm, You would really avoid purchasing a F350 that had been used for towing?
Any one ton truck should be able to tow without undue wear and tear.... That is what they are made for....

Of course now we are talking about a Ford... So maybe that doesn't apply.
:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great deal! Hope you like it. Time to put a LOT of miles (or kilometers for you Canadians, ehh?) on that truck and enjoy retirement!!!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Charli
Explorer
Explorer
Well we did it. A 2011 F350, KR, 4x4, 6.7L PSD, Crew Cab, 60,000 km is sitting in the driveway. Won't fit in the garage unfortunately. Will send pictures once the blizzard outside lets up.
Thanks to the tips received here and on a few other forums I was armed with my notebook filled with questions and things to look for. Didn't get them down in price cause we almost got caught in a bidding war with another interested buyer. Based on other trucks listed for sale, but located 7-8 hrs away, the truck seemed to be priced competitively. Checked Kelly Blue Book prices and this one was priced in the range for a clean truck and keeping in mind Kelly's prices are US$ I think we did ok. Original build sheet shows sticker price of $85k with a long list of options so $48k seems, choke, reasonable! Has new 20" Michelins, would have preferred 18" for ride quality and replacement cost but they sure look good. Has a PTC Supplemental Heater, not sure what that does but have a ton of manuals to read. Has a steel cable mounted in the box to tie down loads, FX4 off road, buckets, moon roof, nav, PTO provision, dual alt, roof clearance lights, heavy duty service suspension, factory remote start, and of course it's the new diesel.
It has the 5th wheel hitch prep package so will be researching Reece and B&W hitch options. We have the short box so not sure if a slider is available or will be required for whatever 5th wheel we end up with.
Got the Car Fax and Oasis reports plus the required Manitoba Safety Cert. There was some comments about wear on the front tires and the reports show work done 2 weeks ago on the front end (steering linkage, drag link, tie rods, ends) which was required to pass the Safety. Thus the new rubber all around. The kicker on the deal was the Ford Premium Care ESP which is good for another 4 yrs and another 90,000 km. this seems to cover almost everything with $0. Deductible. Thanks to the original owner for purchasing this and the fact it is fully transferable.
The interior of the King Ranch was in great condition. A few wear marks on the drivers seat and centre arm rest but was otherwise pristine. Don't think the back seat was ever used.
The exterior had a few small stone chips and tail gate has a rub mark on the exterior but the rest looks like new. The box is a bit banged up but plan on a LineX bedliner and tonneau cover eventually so that will cover it up nicely.
There is 970 hrs, 230 idle hours on the engine and the engine bay and underside is clean with no obvious leaks, even after the test drive. Weighed the truck on the trip home and it came in at about 8000lbs so after adding about 500# for hitch! DW, Dog, etc that leaves about 3000# for payload. GVWR 11,500#. The motor is so quiet and ride so smooth as compared to our previous 2008 Ram 2500. The truck bucks a bit on a rough road but certainly more than acceptable given the size of the truck. The creature comforts inside are impressive.
So we are set for the TV, now to get my drivers license upgrade, shop for hitch and upgrade 5er and we will be able to drive off into our retirement lifestyle.
'11 F350 KR, 4x4, PSD
'14 Mountaineer 331RLT

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
For towing the first thing I check is the gearing for the truck. For a gas engine I would want 4.10 gears and with a diesel engine the 3.73 gears if I was going to be towing a heavy load all around the country and over the mountains. I would also be buying a GM or Cummins diesel to get the better engine braking performance but you are set on a Ford.

60,000 miles is not a lot but an area of concern is the front end. Few owners even know to lube the front end of their heavy duty trucks and this increases wear on very important components. Not a big expense to repair but if it needs new tie-rods I would want to negotiate the price based on this information.

Most likely you will be replacing the shocks and brakes but rotor replacement can be more expensive and I would want this checked out as well. While the truck is in the air the mechanic and look for any signs of body repair that might have been done to the truck.

There are probably service bulletins and other information for this truck and model year so you know what the weak points are and what may need to be repaired in the future.

If I was looking for a used truck I would avoid one that had been lifted or had oversize tires put on it or had been used for towing. No way to know how badly the parts have been abused so best to avoid the truck altogether.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not have any upgrades on the 2012 concerning on board computer display.

The engine hours and idle time can be seen by punching a button to get that displayed.

BigBaron
Explorer
Explorer
Before you buy it take the dipstick out a drop a dot of oil on a plain piece of white paper. If it "wets out" a big circle that is mostly clear, there is a lot of fuel in the oil-a bad sign. If it "wets out" a smaller circle that is dark in color (dirty oil color), then there is little or no fuel in the oil.
Ask for maintenance receipts. Check the fuel filter and housing-is there a bunch of gunk in the bottom?
Was it driven daily for just a short distance or 20-30 minute trips? If it wasn't allowed to warm up on a regular basis that could cause problems.
The list goes on and on...
Also do a LOT of research on that model and engine- Powerstroke Nation, The Diesel Stop, etc.
Baron, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith and OSD, Fang
'03 Hyundai Starex(H1) 2012 Coachmen Clipper Sport 126
Incheon, S. Korea
From six months of no camping to having a winter site 30 minutes from a ski resort! I'm a happy camper!

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
It sounds like he plans on hauling a fifth wheel, how many small pickups have you seen doing that?
I pulled one for 35 thuosand miles will out any problems behind a 1/2, Had a flat of two and that was it. Climbed the highest Rocky Mtn. easy. Big is bad, little is great.
So big a world, so little time to see.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper