cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 F250 Super Duty Owners?

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
We're about to make a deal on a NEW 2012 F250 Super Duty. Regular cab & long bed. This one is stripped down... the only creature feature is A/C but for what it's worth has the "snowplow pkg".

It's a 4X4 with the V8 6.2L/379, 3.73 axle. Probably the most weight it'll ever tow is my 2 horse trailer which usually has only one horse or a wagon load of hay.

I can hardly stand it! To be able to go uphill with my trailer and not have to get out & push and then to be able to slow down on the downhill side! WOOHOO! I will NOT be sad to see that Silverado go away but before we sign the papers, I wanted to ask those that have one if anyone had encountered any problems with them.
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!
26 REPLIES 26

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
2 months ago we purchased a 2013 F250 6.2l to replace a 2001 F150 5.4. We love it so far but it is still a baby with oly 4000 miles on it.

Each person should get the vehicle that they want that will meet their needs for what they want it to do.

Happy camping everyone.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
You don't buy a diesel to save money... You buy a diesel because you want/need the pulling power.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
W4RLR wrote:
It's also the sound of your wallet having the money sucked out of it.
BTW I own one of those "smoky diesel pickups". Mine doesn't smoke, and gets 10-13 mpg towing my fiver, 18-20 mpg when not towing. YMMV.:B

I have one of those smoky diesels that will be replaced by one of those gassers. I figure if I had the diesel I wouldn't have a wallet to get anything sucked out because of the cost difference. The breakeven spot is probably about 200K considering repairs, and oil changes.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the 2011 in my sig. 15,000 miles and zero problems. Plenty of power and I often double tow in the Rockies. (the GVW of the double tow is only 8500)

Coming from previous 01 and 05 CTD's, it does not tow like a diesel. No gasser can. I went from "loafing" up the Continental Divide at 2000 rpm to "screaming" at 4500 rpm.

That said, I LOVE my truck!!!! I don't tow/haul real heavy. I'm lighter than a diesel and that is good for off road.

The $8000 I saved over the diesel will buy my gas for the first 20,000 miles!!!

As far as the octane goes I used to buy Phillips 66 as they advertised No Ethanol. I even kept buying it after the sign came down as it was a few cents cheaper than Chevron. But then I realized that the Phillips regular was only 85 octane while Chevron was 87.

Chevron 87 was actually cheaper than Philliips 87 so I switched and I swear it runs better with better mileage. I'm gonna try 89 next time!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
I see diesel owners posting "You just don't understand till you have a diesel" all the time. What I don't understand is why diesel owners don't understand. They don't seem to understand how anybody could be happy towing with a gas truck.

My truck is rated to tow 12,500 lbs. My TT's GVWR is 7500 lbs. I'd say that's a pretty good match.

I have never felt like the trip took me two hours longer than it really did, and I have never claimed to "fly by " any diesel up a hill (See username 🙂 ).

My trucks engine redline is 6,000 RPM, I hardly think 4200 is "thrashing" it, and in my new truck even at that RPM conversation with the wife is no problem.

You see I DO get it. Re-read my post above. It's just that my reasons for buying a gas truck are just that, MY reasons. The reasons you bought a diesel are YOUR reasons, and there is NO reason we can't both be happy.

I wish all of you the best with the truck of your choice, and I really mean that, and when my needs/wants change, as I said, you may see me in a diesel yet. I never say never.

To the OP, Sorry we drifted a little off topic. To answer your question; No problems at all with my 6.2 Super Duty.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
slarsen wrote:
Another 1000 miles on the road, and I am convinced that 89 octane gets me almost one more mpg: 10 vs 9 while towing. And by the way, 91 octane doesn't do ANY better than 89. I can't say if the higher octane will help an unloaded truck, but I would guess it will. And I expect this has no relevance for older engines, only those that can adjust timing 'on the fly' by monitoring spark knock. Try it, late model Ford HD gassers, see if you agree.

Another 10 cents per gallon is trivial if it gets another 10 percent distance from a gallon of gas.

I'll give it a try on my next trip.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

slarsen
Explorer
Explorer
Another 1000 miles on the road, and I am convinced that 89 octane gets me almost one more mpg: 10 vs 9 while towing. And by the way, 91 octane doesn't do ANY better than 89. I can't say if the higher octane will help an unloaded truck, but I would guess it will. And I expect this has no relevance for older engines, only those that can adjust timing 'on the fly' by monitoring spark knock. Try it, late model Ford HD gassers, see if you agree.

Another 10 cents per gallon is trivial if it gets another 10 percent distance from a gallon of gas.

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
I think you hit the nail on the head N-Trouble...

There is much less 'drama' when towing with a stout deezle when you approach the limits of the gcwr ...

Much less than the thrashing the gas engines have to go thru to get the same job done...

But, to each his own !

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
rdhetrick wrote:
Regarding the mileage and octane:

The higher octane by itself should not effect mileage, I suspect the lower mileage using 87 is actually due to the ethanol that is blended into the gas - up to 10%. In the 89 and above, there is no ethanol....

This statement makes no sense. Refineries don't make 89 octane.. 89 octane is created by mixing equal parts of 87 and 91 octane at the pump. And yes on some modern V8s you can get better mileage with higher octane. The higher octane allows the computer to advance the timing creating more power. More power equels less need for additional throttle input which yields better mileage. Has nothing to do with ethanol...

Correct answer about higher octane may give higher mileage.
ALL gasoline in PA, with the exception of a few holdouts, has ethanol added to every gallon regardless of octane rating.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of guys here are content with their 6.2 gassers which is cool and all but please don't go slamming diesels because they cost more and you "claim" you can fly by one on a hill pull. Maybe an old diesel, but it aint gonna happen against a newer diesel considering all things equal...

I came from many years of pulling my 7500lb toy hauler with a 01 2500HD 6.0 gasser over the Sierra Nevadas. Yeah it got the job done and was a very reliable truck but for me the move to a diesel (2012 Dmax) was all about "the experience". No longer do I have to anticipate hills or worry about approaching traffic. Now all I have to do is set the cruise and forget about it. IF I need to slow down or speed up a bit just tap the steering wheel controls and I'm done. My kids couldn't even watch a movie in the back seat of my 6.0 without wearing headphones. Pulling 2nd gear at 4500RPM is NOT quiet and the constant downshifting/upshifting does not provide a relaxing drive. The same drive in my diesel feels two hours shorter just because I'm in a much more relaxed state while hauling and I can actually have a conversation with others instead of having to be so focused on the road and maintaining my speed.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
rdhetrick wrote:

The higher octane by itself should not effect mileage, I suspect the lower mileage using 87 is actually due to the ethanol that is blended into the gas - up to 10%. In the 89 and above, there is no ethanol....

This statement makes no sense. Refineries don't make 89 octane.. 89 octane is created by mixing equal parts of 87 and 91 octane at the pump. And yes on some modern V8s you can get better mileage with higher octane. The higher octane allows the computer to advance the timing creating more power. More power equels less need for additional throttle input which yields better mileage. Has nothing to do with ethanol...

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
nohurry wrote:
D MAX wrote:
OK sorry but can you Ford guys enlighten me and this is not a brand thing. I have no beefs with gassers or the 6.2 as I have heard it's a very solid platform with loads of power. But when one says it's not as noisy or loud as a diesel? Is this a Ford thing or a dig at old school dodges? I can tell you my diesel makes more power at a lower RPM and it's never loud in the cab. Just chugs along effortlessly no matter what is thrown at it.

Well, I don't know if I can "enlighten" you, but it may be some peoples perspective of older diesels, or perhaps just folks that never owned one and have somewhat of the fear of the unknown, and some just have to defend their choice of brand by slamming others (unfortunate IMO). I've never owned a diesel, but I'm quite familiar with them, have rode in friends trucks, and I know the modern ones are very quiet. If my situation called for it I would buy one. I CAN tell you that my 6.2 is quieter at idle and low RPM than most, if not all the diesels. Going up a 7% grade with the TT is another matter. You hear it for sure, but I would not call it loud by any means.

There sometimes is a lot of "banter" between brand, and fuel type differences here, but I can only speak for myself. I love my truck, and it matches my TT weight perfectly, but if you, or anyone for that matter have different tastes or needs I'm not gonna fuss with ya. I have a close friend that I hunt and fish with. He tows a very heavy boat with his '08 Dodge 3500 CTD. To say that thing pulls over mtn passes effortlessly is an understatement. I'm astounded every time. So, yes, I know what they can do, and why you love them, but for me right now with a TT that weighs at most 7500 lbs, I'm satisfied with what I drive.

I know you're satisfied but how can you say your gas truck matches your TT weight if you have never owned a diesel? You might change your mind if you hooked one of equal MY to your TT.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
D MAX wrote:
OK sorry but can you Ford guys enlighten me and this is not a brand thing. I have no beefs with gassers or the 6.2 as I have heard it's a very solid platform with loads of power. But when one says it's not as noisy or loud as a diesel? Is this a Ford thing or a dig at old school dodges? I can tell you my diesel makes more power at a lower RPM and it's never loud in the cab. Just chugs along effortlessly no matter what is thrown at it.

Well, I don't know if I can "enlighten" you, but it may be some peoples perspective of older diesels, or perhaps just folks that never owned one and have somewhat of the fear of the unknown, and some just have to defend their choice of brand by slamming others (unfortunate IMO). I've never owned a diesel, but I'm quite familiar with them, have rode in friends trucks, and I know the modern ones are very quiet. If my situation called for it I would buy one. I CAN tell you that my 6.2 is quieter at idle and low RPM than most, if not all the diesels. Going up a 7% grade with the TT is another matter. You hear it for sure, but I would not call it loud by any means.

There sometimes is a lot of "banter" between brand, and fuel type differences here, but I can only speak for myself. I love my truck, and it matches my TT weight perfectly, but if you, or anyone for that matter have different tastes or needs I'm not gonna fuss with ya. I have a close friend that I hunt and fish with. He tows a very heavy boat with his '08 Dodge 3500 CTD. To say that thing pulls over mtn passes effortlessly is an understatement. I'm astounded every time. So, yes, I know what they can do, and why you love them, but for me right now with a TT that weighs at most 7500 lbs, I'm satisfied with what I drive.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer

Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E