cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ram 2500 6.4L Tow Review

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Today I took my new Ram for its longest tow to date, a 350 mile trek through Ky and and the Smokey Mountains ending the day in NC. This was a good test with light to heavy rain all day, low visabilty and lots of elevation and long sweeping turns at grade. Overall the Ram performed amazingly.

The cargo was my 8000 lb travel trailer, my family of four and my 60 lb pit bull. The 6.4L hemi handled the workload with ease. On flats I was able to run 60-65 at around 2000 rpms in 5th gear. On slight grades 4th gear and 2500-3000 rpms did the trick easily. On severe grades 3rd gear at 3000-4200 rpms was the ticket. 99% of the time the truck stayed between 1900 and 2500 rpms. The low rpm torque is evident, especially coming from a Tundra that loved to rev.

The transmission is also great. In tow mode it holds gears perfectly up grade and downsifts to utilize engine braking on the way down. On severe grades I used the manual mode to hold gears up and down the slopes. I rarely had to use the brakes, only when slower vehicles left me pinned in a lane. And this was all the way through I40 and the Smokey Mountains to Ashville. Quite a workout for sure. The Ram handled it with ease.

Temperatures stayed consistent all through the trip. Coolant running 195-210, oil temp 195-215, trans temp stayed at 160-165.

I am extremely happy with my purchase. I love my truck.

A shot at the campground this evening.

2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi
139 REPLIES 139

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I noticed that too. Zero wind noise - even in a cross wind where the old truck used to get wind noise at the top of the doors.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite thing about my new Ram is how quiet it is in the cab. My Ford was a nice truck, but the noise level inside the cab was considerably louder.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for feedback regarding noise. I test drove a 2014 2500 6.4 megacab today. Very nice truck. Also test drove a 2015 GMC 2500 diesel. Also a very nice truck. Still ruminating on diesel vs. gas, mega vs crew, and GMC vs Ram. Fortunately none of those would be a bad choice, just a matter of trying to decide on priorities.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are starting to sound like that stupid Chevy commercial, you know the one where the Howie Long replacement is on the interchange explaining how Chevy is second to none and by none I mean Ford and Ram :B
I know at least one of you like exhaust sounds as in a straight pipe turbo back :W
Heck I'll never surprise anyone or WORRY ABOUT WHAT THE DW JUST TOLD ME :B
Ah silence is golden.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
BC_Explorer wrote:

I test drove a 3500 with the 6.4L Hemi today. Very impressive truck to say the least and at 3000 -3500 rpm, it did not seem any louder then my 2012 5.7L Hemi does. At lower rpm's on the highway, the engine could barely be heard in the cab of the truck.

I own one and the noise level is one of the most impressive things about the truck for me. I think its a combination of a nice engine and also some really great sound deadening inside the cab. It really helps when using the Bluetooth phone system and just overall driver fatigue. Some days I spend a lot of hours on the road and it's amazing how much I appreciate the quiet.

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
fugawi wrote:
Can any of you with the 6.4 comment on engine noise/sound level? How does the 6.4 compare to the current diesel engines?

Thank you.

Very quiet. I posted a YouTube video of me towing with mine. You can't even hear the engine unless it gets over 3000 RPM.

I test drove a 3500 with the 6.4L Hemi today. Very impressive truck to say the least and at 3000 -3500 rpm, it did not seem any louder then my 2012 5.7L Hemi does. At lower rpm's on the highway, the engine could barely be heard in the cab of the truck.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
fugawi wrote:
Can any of you with the 6.4 comment on engine noise/sound level? How does the 6.4 compare to the current diesel engines?

Thank you.

Very quiet. I posted a YouTube video of me towing with mine. You can't even hear the engine unless it gets over 3000 RPM.

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thank you.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Durring my test drives, the 2500 coil suspension was very comfortable. I struggled between the two, for a few days. It came down to price. I got my similarly equipped 3500 SRW for $1200 less than I could get a 2500.

I dont expect my 3500 to ride like a caddy, and it doesn't lol. Overall very happy with the truck, and the 4100lb payload is great.

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Yup go for a test drive...or if your dealer will let you take the truck for a day or two even better. Like mtofell1, the more I drive the truck the more I am impressed with it. The only remorse I have about the purchase is that I didn't get more options. I love the truck and would buy it again without a second thought. It handles my camper with ease, the power is great, brakes great, brake controller is spot on, transmission is awesome...there is nothing that I don't like about the truck.

I'd love to hook it up to a big 5er or loaded gooseneck trailer and see how it does. Waiting for ib516 to get his so I can hear how it does with a 5er!
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was in a 2013 RAM 2500 CTD with the leaf spring rear suspension, and a 2014 RAM 2500 CTD with the coil springs back to back on Monday (2 days ago). My BIL was shopping. I rode in the passenger seat.

The ride stiffness is pretty close to the same, but the lack of "jitter" over small road imperfections was night and day different. Very noticeable. The suspension harshness was noticeable less on the 2014 truck. Over large bumps, the "stiffness" of the springs felt about the same.

Best idea is to go for a test drive. It's really a dramatic difference.

The payload on my truck should be somewhere just over 3000#. The payload listed on the website and in the brochure is 3250#.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:

Was really surprised to see the rear coils in the 2014 RAM 2500. And the payloads with the 6.4L are nearly twice that of most half-tons.

From what I'm reading here, the truck is still very stable when loaded, even with the coils? And it rides better than a 2500 with heavy leafs when unloaded too?

Never really wanted a 2500 but if the unloaded ride is better with the coils, I may change. Guess I should go for a test drive.

Don't get me wrong... it's still a 3/4 ton and the ride is much stiffer than a 1/2 ton. It's just better than a 3/4 ton with leaf springs. The main improvement is the handling and stability cornering. The leaf spring rear ends just feel like their rolling away from you and the coils make it feel like its stuck to the road. I notice a HUGE improvement towing as well as just daily driving.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

The rear coils are fantastic and give a MUCH better ride and overall handling while towing or just daily driving. I'm at about 1500 miles on my truck and am totally amazed and impressed every time I drive it.

Was really surprised to see the rear coils in the 2014 RAM 2500. And the payloads with the 6.4L are nearly twice that of most half-tons.

From what I'm reading here, the truck is still very stable when loaded, even with the coils? And it rides better than a 2500 with heavy leafs when unloaded too?

Never really wanted a 2500 but if the unloaded ride is better with the coils, I may change. Guess I should go for a test drive.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
mowin wrote:
parkersdad wrote:
e-light wrote:
mowin wrote:
e-light wrote:
Buck50HD wrote:
e-light wrote:
LimogesMan wrote:
This was a great read and that's what keeps me coming back to RV.net

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for reading...we all love talkin' trucks thats for sure ๐Ÿ™‚

Just did another test for the guy that asked how the fuel mileage would be while lightly loaded. Had to pickup a scoop (cubic yard) of mulch for the house today. Family of four in tote and 800-1000 lbs of mulch and you really couldn't tell it was in there. About a 7 mile highway ride home showed normal economy numbers on the EVIC, just like normal highway driving at 60 mph (prob around 19 mpg average in my HILLY area, hills limit the amount of time MDS can run). I turned on tow/haul...even though it probably didn't need it, just to see what it would do economy would do. Looks like it averaged about 16 mpg @ 60 mph with tow/haul engaged.

To the guy that asked, with a 700 lb load, you wouldn't need tow/haul in the flats. You would get a lot of MDS use at 60 mph and you would get good fuel economy. Prob 17-20 on highways and 14-16 city. Light foot as always!

The 6.4 is starting to sound like the prius of gas 3/4 tons around here. I'm skeptical and the forums seem to tell a different story. But, it doesn't seem to do any worse than the other gas options which is promising.

Its all in how you drive it. If you are zipping around town in city traffic with quick starts and stops you are going to see 9-10 mpg easy. If you pay attention to your right foot and take it easy and drive the posted limits you can get some good numbers for a truck like this.

Here is my EVIC after 100 miles of mixed driving including some ligbt hauling that I me tioned earlier.

Its a disease called "Hemi Foot". Its hard to overcome....

I am finding this out more and more ๐Ÿ™‚

My last tank of almost all city driving was 13.8 mpg. Still not bad for a big truck...man I love this truck though. No buyers remorse here, Id buy this truck again in a second! In fact I'd prob even get more options...starting to think I will never need a Cummins, actually I know Ill never NEED a Cummins, but my want is growing less and less.

Just don't drive a Cummins and you will be ok. I drove one and traded my gas 2500.

I drove a cummins many times, and I still bought a gasser. ROI is the main reason. It would take several yrs to break even.

I hear that...most of us really don't NEED the diesel. It's that smooth effortless power while towing that does it. The 6.4L is the closest thing I've ever seen to that in a gasser. Even through the mountains pulling my TT, my truck rarely rev'd over 3K RPMS. And as I said I'm extremely happy with mine.

But my brother has the same truck as me with a Cummins, 6" lift and big tires. I can't help the feelings of inferiority when we are together ๐Ÿ™‚

Another note is the diesels hold their values VERY well. As for me...we'll see where I am in 5 years. I have a feeling a fully decked out Cummins is in my future. But honestly the gasser serves me extremely well, so who knows.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
GONE:

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
parkersdad wrote:
e-light wrote:
mowin wrote:
e-light wrote:
Buck50HD wrote:
e-light wrote:
LimogesMan wrote:
This was a great read and that's what keeps me coming back to RV.net

Thanks everyone.

Thanks for reading...we all love talkin' trucks thats for sure ๐Ÿ™‚

Just did another test for the guy that asked how the fuel mileage would be while lightly loaded. Had to pickup a scoop (cubic yard) of mulch for the house today. Family of four in tote and 800-1000 lbs of mulch and you really couldn't tell it was in there. About a 7 mile highway ride home showed normal economy numbers on the EVIC, just like normal highway driving at 60 mph (prob around 19 mpg average in my HILLY area, hills limit the amount of time MDS can run). I turned on tow/haul...even though it probably didn't need it, just to see what it would do economy would do. Looks like it averaged about 16 mpg @ 60 mph with tow/haul engaged.

To the guy that asked, with a 700 lb load, you wouldn't need tow/haul in the flats. You would get a lot of MDS use at 60 mph and you would get good fuel economy. Prob 17-20 on highways and 14-16 city. Light foot as always!

The 6.4 is starting to sound like the prius of gas 3/4 tons around here. I'm skeptical and the forums seem to tell a different story. But, it doesn't seem to do any worse than the other gas options which is promising.

Its all in how you drive it. If you are zipping around town in city traffic with quick starts and stops you are going to see 9-10 mpg easy. If you pay attention to your right foot and take it easy and drive the posted limits you can get some good numbers for a truck like this.

Here is my EVIC after 100 miles of mixed driving including some ligbt hauling that I me tioned earlier.

Its a disease called "Hemi Foot". Its hard to overcome....

I am finding this out more and more ๐Ÿ™‚

My last tank of almost all city driving was 13.8 mpg. Still not bad for a big truck...man I love this truck though. No buyers remorse here, Id buy this truck again in a second! In fact I'd prob even get more options...starting to think I will never need a Cummins, actually I know Ill never NEED a Cummins, but my want is growing less and less.

Just don't drive a Cummins and you will be ok. I drove one and traded my gas 2500.

I drove a cummins many times, and I still bought a gasser. ROI is the main reason. It would take several yrs to break even.