cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 GMC Sierra Denali-catastrophic fuel pump failure

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer
Had a catastrophic fuel pump failure in our 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel......lost all power steering, brakes, etc. Dealer wants $12000 to repair! When the pump fails, metal shavings go thru entire fuel line, etc
After researching online, GM knew about this (CP4 fuel pump) issue before we bought our new truck in 2015!
We were lucky this happened at our seasonal campground & not while towing our 5th wheel in traffic.
Posting this as a warning to all of you with a GM diesel 2011-2016
70 REPLIES 70

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
reelcamper1 wrote:
Appreciate all the suspicious minds here...nothing fishy, nothing more to the story. Google BOSCH CP4 fuel pump and read the stories.....
Not a maintenance issue.......
Huntindog said it best, not a GM vs. FORD rivalry. As consumers at the mercy of these HUGE CORP, we are the ones who lose!

THat's been my point all along. The consumer should not be on the hook for a $12K repair. On a $65K truck that just a few years old. No way , No how.
The manufacturers have to do a better job, particularly with this being a known issue.

I would agree as well, but like I said in my other post, BOSCH recommends that all six injectors be replace when only 2 are bad (supposedly) at $750.00 EACH. 10 grand for inj, DEF filters and labor on a '16 Freightliner---not covered by warranty. Only after some higher ups got involved did the price for the job get reduced. Now, on the other hand, stopped by local town hiway dep't as they have a few Western Star trucks w/ Detroit's. Spoke w/ the mechanic to advise him of what happened to me/us (company) and said he wasn't surprised. He used to work for Detroit and said that's the problem w/ common rail injection systems. If 1 or 2 inj go, they send **** thru the system thus ruining the others possibly so it's best to replace all inj. To tell you the truth, best explanation I heard/got. If this is the case, what's the best alternative?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
reelcamper1 wrote:
Appreciate all the suspicious minds here...nothing fishy, nothing more to the story. Google BOSCH CP4 fuel pump and read the stories.....
Huntindog said it best, not a GM vs. FORD rivalry. As consumers at the mercy of these HUGE CORP, we are the ones who lose!

Well aware of cp4 issues. The issue here is GM is telling you its not covered when its clearly printed in the warranty booklet they provided with the truck. You have 5 years or 100K miles coverage from GM on the complete Duramax diesel including fuel system...

Post up your RO, I'd love to see why its not covered.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Halmfamily wrote:
This is why I won't give up my '08 GMC Duramax as it has the CP3 pump.

Ditto on my 2009. It hasn't even hit 58k miles yet, and I bought it new.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I had a GMC 05-5500 CC 4X4 that lost a head gasket. Out of warranty (warranty on the medium duties was only 2 years on that model, not sure if that has changed) by a long shot and GM kicked in 4K on a 7K repair. I was happy with that. Other than that I have not had any issue not covered. I would hope GM will do the right thing, as stated they have a history of standing behind the warranty and then some. I see no reason why they wouldn't as it is clearly a warrantied component. No water, no aftermarket components to muddy the situation. I tend to buy from the same Chevy and GMC dealers. Like I have said before, relationships matter. While loyalty doesn't always save the day, it sure helps. When I was trying to get GM to cover the head gasket on the 5500, they wanted a list of all the GM vehicles I have had. It was a long list, and while I can only speculate as to the impact of that list, it no doubt played a part.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
reelcamper1 wrote:

THat's been my point all along. The consumer should not be on the hook for a $12K repair. On a $65K truck that just a few years old. No way , No how.
The manufacturers have to do a better job, particularly with this being a known issue.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 02 Duramax and when my injectors went out GM offered 0 help. I was out of the extended warranty by 2 months and at 180,000 miles. After fixing it I keep the truck for another 85,000 miles, and the last time I talked to the guy who bought it he said it was at 360,000 on the same ones.
As mad as I was at the time I still have a Duramax and would not hesitate to get another.
Now the dealer who told me twice the injectors were good, Iโ€™ll never buy from them.

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Something smells fishy, perhaps we are not getting the whole story? I have never had any issues getting GM to warranty anything. They even replaced my buddies LB7 injectors after the special warranty period was up.

Maybe someone didn't maintain the fuel filter? I would like to see a pic of the RO where it states not covered under warranty.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
This situation has some similarities to Ricatics.

He too had a dealer away from home look at his Ford first and deny coverage... Rics problem was that Ford used the first dealers judgement as the final word. Ric and I used to have very spirited debates on the GM vs Ford rivalry. When he got screwed, I remember saying at the time that I took no satisfaction in what happened to him. Because the truth is that when any customer, of any brand has this happen to them, we all lose. Every single one of us, no matter the brand can have a similar situation happen to them.
None of us have enough money to fight these huge companies.

It will be interesting to see how GM responds to this.
They have been very good in the past.

I hope it stays good. I want to buy a 2020 3500 DRW CC DA 4X4 when they come out...
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well that's good news reelcamper! Just another reason car dealers are top of the list of organizations to not trust...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
reelcamper1 wrote:
GM is telling us that this is NOT covered under the 5yr/100,000 warranty. They cannot and will not cover it under this warranty! The dealer we purchased from will not cover under any warranty, but will lower price to $5500.....goodwill warranty money at dealers discretion! We have since had this towed to dealer closer to home, where we always have service done. They are saying , YES, this is under warranty repair! Waiting to hear this 100%, they have only had truck for 2 days.....no fuel in water, no aftermarket modifications.....this was straightforward pump failure

They will not know for sure about bad fuel until they inspect the pump unless they already did. Just be prepared for a fight in the event they pull the pump and corporate says, no that was from bad fuel. I hope this ends well for you. Keep up the fight for full coverage.

reelcamper1
Explorer
Explorer
GM is telling us that this is NOT covered under the 5yr/100,000 warranty. They cannot and will not cover it under this warranty! The dealer we purchased from will not cover under any warranty, but will lower price to $5500.....goodwill warranty money at dealers discretion! We have since had this towed to dealer closer to home, where we always have service done. They are saying , YES, this is under warranty repair! Waiting to hear this 100%, they have only had truck for 2 days.....no fuel in water, no aftermarket modifications.....this was straightforward pump failure

wq93
Explorer
Explorer
With it in the miles/time warranty it is either warranty parts failure or a fuel issue. If GM is refusing the warranty repair based upon water in fuel/contaminated fuel then check with your insurance company to see if this is covered under the comprehensive portion of your coverage. If so then the insurance company will cover the repair (less your deductible) and their subrogation department will attempt to collect from the fuel provider.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
reelcamper1 wrote:
Hubby out of town, so I thought I would reply..... truck has around 74,000 miles on it, purchased new in July 2015.....towed to a different dealer, waiting to hear their verdict on warranty coverage....I think this should be 100% covered, and am trying to get get covered....talked to GM Customer Care twice-useless! I knew more about the truck. GM Cust Care Supervisor called me yest...."apologized, saying NOTHING they can do"
This truck has been 'babied' & maintained, in order to be in the best shape to pull 5th wheel! I have the GM Service Bulletin dated Sept 2014 in regards to this issue with these pumps....we purchased a year later. They knew about the issue in 2014! All of this has been conveyed to GM.

Five pages of posts and no reason given why the denied warranty. They must have given a reason. Water in fuel maybe?

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, sorry to hear that, but unless there is something going on, it is 100% under warranty still. How could it not be with 5/100 warranty?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold