cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Tundra Double Cab SR5

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to downsize from our '05 Ram 3500 diesel since we no longer have a fifth wheel. Looking at half ton offerings and strictly shopping/studying right now.

Our Trailer: 2013 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL, Max gross trailer weight, 7500 lbs, max hitch weight 975 lbs (assuming 13% hitch weight)

Our Hitch: Reese Dual Cam StraitLine with 800 lb. trunnion bars.

Truck We're looking at: 2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 2WD, 6.5 ft bed. Salesman looked up payload and towing for THIS truck as configured, and related 1680 lbs/10300 lbs. respectively. Powertrain is the 5.7L FlexFuel, 6 speed automatic, 4.30 rear axle ratio, P255/70TR18 tires, 145 inch wheelbase. Drove the truck, not bad performance and handling without a trailer on it anyway

I know this would not be a fuel champ, towing or not. Main concern can this truck competently handle our trailer under tow? Normally aspirated engine, so I know it ain't gonna grunt like our diesel. Intend to also check out Ford and Chevy offerings, but not likely to look at Ram. And, am not looking for another oil burner of any brand. Thoughts from half ton owners, especially Tundra owners that may tow a similar trailer to ours are especially appreciated.
28 REPLIES 28

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra usually finishes last or near the bottom in truck tests. GM and Ford usually split the top. Parts of these tests are subjective, but other parts like MPG, braking, handling aren't.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2013-light-duty-challenge-results.html

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2015/01/2015-light-duty-v-8-challenge-results.html

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm the odd man out but my Tundra gave me more trouble than any other truck I've ever had. The flex fuel engine was always in the shop and is a common problem on tundra talk. It might be corrected now though as mine was a 2012

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy has a tundra with the 5.7, great truck and should be good for what your looking at in the camper. He's got 245k on his and it has pulled horse trailers off and on. The only issue happened last week to it.... Lost the tranny and had to get a new one.. But with 245k on it, a tranny going bad is not a big deal in my opinion, good truck. Good luck on your hunt for one. Btw the engine still runs perfect...! Look into there 4x4 version they do very well off road if needed.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Tundra 5.7 and 6-speed auto is a fantastic powertrain. Only thing with Tundras is the bed bounce over freeway expansion joints is far worse than most (hopefully it's fixed now, i last drove one in 09). Reliable light duty pickup, safe, and decent off road too.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
Otrfun: Thanks for relating your experience. As mentioned we had a fifth wheel and will not be going down that road again. We simplified our RV looking to do the same with the TV. My wife finds the 3500 just too big and is not comfortable driving it. Then there's the nickel and dime Ram issues we have experienced that I don't want to mess with any longer.

Won't look at a Ram because your 11 year old truck is nickle and dimeing you?:h Just to let you know, our Tundras are in the shop with nickle and dime stuff just as much as any if our Ford , Rams and Chevys. To be honest, Our Nissan Titans have been our less problematic half ton trucks. Do yourself a favor and drive all of them. Including Ram and Nissan. I have not kept up with the Nissan brand but I believe they still have the Titan in the non XD model.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
delete ...Jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm reviving this, but I just picked up a 2016 CM over the weekend. I had an 07 and loved it. One thing to take into account, when Toyota went to the new payload ratings, I believe that they included a full tank of fuel but I could be wrong. I haven't towed with it yet, still breaking it in, but it is fun to drive and so much better than the F250 sicko I got rid of.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:

Ahh come on, we need a baby Cummins Titan reporter :B
Somebody has to be the 1st one :W

Not for me, Ric! The MSRP I've seen thrown around for the Titan XD could just about get me 2 of the Tundras I looked at. Even then, 36K for one just sticks in my throat............:B

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Should be a good fit. I'm not a half ton owner, but if I was it would be the exact same truck you are considering
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

xtech
Explorer
Explorer
Yes several of us, myself included noted that payload not power was the concern. Myself I have he reg cab long box because it has the highest payload at 1820 lbs per door sticker and I thought I would be ok but truck ready to tow with wife and I and hitch weights 6000 lbs with GVWR at 7200 so only have 1200 lbs which would be fine for most trailers but not for my 5th whough advertised pin is 1040 dry, varies anywhere from 1100 to 1400 lbs depending on how much stuff we have. So I am regrettably looking at 1 ton domestic as I don't want to deal with overweight and the legal consequenses that could arise. So the good advice is to make sure payload sufficient before you buy the first time!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hondavalk wrote:
otrfun wrote:
With all due respect to everybody who replied to the OP's inquiry, maybe I missed it, but not one person addressed the critical issue at play here---payload/tongue weight.

Why is everybody addressing the weight of their TT?? Many Tundras are rated to tow over 10,000 lbs. Tow weight is a non-issue.
I think you did miss several post that did talk about payload. Also people are bring up trailer weights for two reasons. First trailer weight tells what tongue weight you should have adding to the payload figures and most were comparing their real life towing experience with the OPs desire.
Ok, "payload" was mentioned. Let me rephrase. I don't believe anyone mentioned specific "realworld tongue weights" in conjunction with "remaining" payload.

To restate, in the context of this thread, tow weight is irrelevant. Everybody is addressing tow weights well within the Tundra's capability.

In addition, using the 10-15 percent of tow weight rule to arrive at an ideal tongue weight is a good first step. However, all by itself is not effective unless one takes the 2nd step to verify their realworld tongue weight (i.e., talk is cheap---a CAT scale ticket costs $10).

As for "real life tow experiences", IMO they carry very little weight without (again) knowing the realworld tongue weight for any given experience. Why? Because an overloaded rear axle does not typically groan/moan, howl, or warn you of an impending failure. It goes quietly about its job until failure. Knowing ones realworld tongue weight is a very effective piece of information that can be used to reduce ones chance of axle failure. Like I've said a number of times---tongue weight is not static for any given rig. I had a different CAT scale ticket for all of my load configurations when I had my Tundra. Why? Because it was very easy to go over the maximum payload with my Tundra. Again, as a reminder, my toy hauler only weighed ~7000 lbs fully loaded (~4800 lbs. empty). Empty with no gear, toys, generator, or water in the "forward" tanks, tongue weight would drop to 800 lbs. Loaded with lots of gear in the front, some water in the "forward" tanks, toys, and a generator, tongue weight would easily soar to 1200-1300 lbs.--easily exceeding the maximum payload of my Tundra when passengers and gear (in the truck) were also factored in.

Just trying to offer up a different perspective for those that that might find it helpful or useful. If realworld tongue weight doesn't concern or interest you, then by all means feel free to disregard everything I've said.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
otrfun wrote:
With all due respect to everybody who replied to the OP's inquiry, maybe I missed it, but not one person addressed the critical issue at play here---payload/tongue weight.

Why is everybody addressing the weight of their TT?? Many Tundras are rated to tow over 10,000 lbs. Tow weight is a non-issue.

I think you did miss several post that did talk about payload. Also people are bring up trailer weights for two reasons. First trailer weight tells what tongue weight you should have adding to the payload figures and most were comparing their real life towing experience with the OPs desire.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
thomasmnile wrote:
And, am not looking for another oil burner of any brand.

Ahh come on, we need a baby Cummins Titan reporter :B
Somebody has to be the 1st one :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

Most 2007-2016 Tundra's have 1400-1500 lbs. of payload in the realworld (not in a brochure). Subtract 175 lbs. for a passenger, then another 150 lbs. for odds and ends (accessories, tools, etc.), another 75 lbs. for the WDH---that leaves one with approx. 1000 lbs. of payload remaining. This is a very conservative number. For a typical family of 4 with gear (inside and in the bed), remaining payload could easily be as low as 500-800 lbs.

Has anybody calculated their TT's tongue weight using a CAT scale? IMO, that's the kind of info the OP would find useful.