cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat / options guidance?

Hi all

First time pickup buyer. We will custom order a 2020 Ford F350 - XLT or Lariat
A Hallmark pop up camper will be in it 99.999 % of the time. Currently learning about what options / packages we want.

A few questions to help guide meโ€ฆ

Do I care about Fog Lamps? (does anyone ever use them?)

Do we care about Pedals: ยญ Power Adjustableโ€ฆ?
My wife and I share driving when going camping.
Do the driver memories recall the Power Pedals?

Do we need to be Lariat to get power seats and power seat memories? I canโ€™t figure this out.

I didnโ€™t see heated and cooled seats listed anywhere on Lariat specsโ€ฆ. do we need to go higher to get heated and cooled seats? ๐Ÿ˜ž

Do we want to get the 4.3 Electronic Locking Axle?
I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargoโ€ฆ?

If we move to the midwest (a possibility) โ€ฆ would we want the remote start option, so we can warm up the F350 before getting in it?

How hard is it to wire in external lights, light bars, etc to the Ford optional Outfitter Switches?

with the vehicle (below) configured as we like, Ford offers either LT275/70R x 18E BSW A/T 4X4 tires

or for an extra $290, I could get LT275/70R x 18E OWL A/T tires.
what tires should i get?
I would MUCH rather have the tires come from Ford, from the start, and not have to change them out, and sell the stock tires.

By the way - we always use our cell phones for Navigation (Waze or Google Nav) so we have no use for a built in NAV. Any way to somehow NOT get it, to save $?

On our 8 foot bed, with a 9.5 foot Hallmark - the Ford Reverse Sensing System - will it work with 18โ€ overhang of Hallmark, and also the optional Hallmark Storage bins & rear bumper?

* * * * * For what it is worth - this is the type of pickup + options we are looking at: * * *

F-350 - 2020. Custom ordered.
Crew Cab (4 real doors, most space)
6.2L gas
176โ€ Wheelbase (max)
8 foot bed.
4x4
Single Rear Wheel (SRW)

4.3 Electronic Locking Axle (I believe it is much better for climbing mountains with the 2,500+ truck camper on the back, plus cargo)

FX4 Off Road Package (comes with Skid Plates :ยญ Transfer Case and Fuel Tank)

Snow Plow / Camper Package.

11,400 GVWR package (or whatever is max GVWR)

Rear Window - privacy glass.

Medium Duty Battery (a second battery)

Alternator ยญ Extra Extra HeavyยญDuty?
LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps?
Front 40/20/40 Split Bench Seats (not front console) so driver can exit passenger side if need be. (this is important to us with our current narrow driveway)

Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cabยฎ) - for our daughter.

Cruise Control?
Power Equipment ยญ Power Door Locks and Windows
Steering Wheel ยญ Audio Controls?Tilt/Telescoping Steering Wheel?
48 Gallon Fuel Tank โ€“ 176" Wheelbase?Integrated Trailer Brake Controller?Trailer Hitch Receiver โ€“ 2.5" Built Ford Toughยฎ Trailer Hitch Receiver (SRW)?
Hill descent would be very nice. A part of tow package I believe.

stuff John REALLY wants:

Adaptive Cruise Control (Lariat I think? Unsure)?
Platform Running Boards (best if Ford does them. Less hassle, and not โ€œmodifiedโ€ $445 2019.)?
SYNCยฎ 3 for Apple Car Play

have been advised to get:
Upfitter Switches $165 in 2019

Thanks!

John
57 REPLIES 57

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you think you need the locking diff and arenโ€™t getting four wheel drive I think youโ€™re making a mistake. Especially if youโ€™re gonna move to where it snows!!
Thatโ€™s a light camper. You donโ€™t need the low gears.

Edit, Iโ€™m blind. Somehow didnโ€™t notice you must be talking about a 4x4 if youโ€™re mentioning skid plates for a transfer case.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Youโ€™re camper will probably block a moon roof, and maybe the satellite radio antenna.

The only difference in the two tires you listed appears to be. BSW vs OWL. That is โ€œblack side wallโ€ vs โ€œoutside white letterโ€. Probably not worth the money. Talk with your selling dealer, lots will swap to tires of your choice for a small fee right when it comes in off the truck, then you get exactly what you want.

Do you need a 7 pin plug in in the box? The 5th wheel prep package gets you that. You might be able to check it off separately?

Upfitter switches allow for easy firing. Mine has a 30, 20 and two 15 amp connectors right under the hood that you tie your accessory into. On second thought they might be under the dash, I donโ€™t remember.

If there are fuel tank size options get the biggest available, never enough fuel.

Just a warning, the oil change required indicator on gas super duties only goes by mileage and not engine hours. This was found out the hard way with a truck at work.

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are getting the rear locking diff, then you are doing some seriously crappy roads.

I had a pop-up on a 4X4 Long bed crew cab F350. I never high centered it, but I came awful close. You might want to consider a Super Cab:

Better payload, better turning radius, no high centering.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

bwlyon
Explorer
Explorer
Fog lamps are a yes, we like them. Pedals are a yes if your wife has short legs. E locker yes especially if you plan on any off road activity. 4.30 rear axle ratio NO, 4.10 is plenty. We have 3.73 in our Ram 3500 and get by just fine; however, I run in 4th gear on the 2 lane roads and 5th on the interstate to stop all the hunting gears in the hills with the 6 speed Automatic. If I had to order a new one Iโ€™d get the 4.10. Iโ€™d go with the Laramie for easy to clean interior and likely available dual power seats along with heating and cooling. E start YES, very handy. Go ahead and get the AT tires if you like; however, they may not suit your taste so choose wisely. The Reverse Sensing will go nuts with the camper on the back, on the Ram itโ€™s push a button and it stays off, not sure on the Ford. Yes to the camper package. Take your time and order it the way you want it. Trying to find a truck on the dealer lot with the specs you want with a gas engine is like finding a needle in a haystack. We got lucky and only had to bend on the color, and found used Ram 3500 gasser with the right specs other than color.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am pretty sure you can get heated and cooled seats in the Lariat. Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I know in 2019 you could get just about any option in the lariat except massage seats.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have a 2002 Ford F-350 that is an XLT. The only weak link in Fords now is the electronics. All of those complicated systems don't always hold up over the high mileages those vehicles are capable of. Thye are hard to fix. I have had two "automotive electronic experts" try to fix my electric door locks and some other things without success. More complicated vehicles are not necessarily better.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure about Ford, but many of โ€œoptionsโ€ are standard even on low trim levels. I believe that you need to do a delete of things like power windows and power door locks.
One of the things I like about our Ram is the remote start, and simply having the key fob in my pocket to lock or unlock the doors.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I custom build my truck 2 years ago and bought Lariat as King Ranch trim was not available with supercab.
Answers to your questions depends a lot on your truck use.
I never used my fog lights to date, but used a lot of navi with live traffic as well as 360 cameras.
Cellphone traffic works, but not as convenient, not saying that using navi on phone drains battery very fast and makes the phone pretty hot.
I've got power rear window, but it is tiny hole. Ford did not show pictures for this option, but if manual window comes in bigger size - that would be my choice.
Leaving power window open when parking (for dogs) will trigger truck alarm, so the usage is limited.
In 120F weather I LOVED remote start. It works from 1/4 mile and by the time we walk across parking to the truck, the interior was bearable to enter.
Locking differential would be my choice, but not available for duallies, so I settled for LSD. Not the best option as I got stuck with it couple of times.
I've got adjustable pedals, but my wife did not drive the truck yet.
Its been only 2 years, so her time is coming ๐Ÿ˜‰
Camper package on dually would only beefed front sway bar, when camper actually takes weight off front. What are the engineers thinking? :S
But when you are buying SRW, that might add sway bar to the rear, what is good.

If you get the new sync, it will include Apple Cap Play...

On my 2019, I can pug my phone into the USB and the contents will show on the screen, including WAZE, and Maps..

As far as options.....
Camper Package, Heavy Service front package, I love B.L.I.S., adaptive cruise is awesome, heated and cooled seats are nice. I enjoy the twin panel moon roof, but for $1,200.00, it's on the if possible list.. Quad Beam LED lights are also real nice..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't seen an order sheet for the 2020 Fords but in general you will probably be stuck with packages that offer some of what you want and some things you don't. We have a Lariat I custom ordered in 2013 and the packages were less obnoxious then - I got mostly what I wanted and not much I didn't want. The Lariat option was great then, no idea where it will take you on the 2020. You'll want the fogs and LED headlights, the camper and tow packages. The heated and cooled seats are wonderful. The Ford navigation and radio software isn't worth the money but if you want to synch your phones you either buy their stuff or try to find an aftermarket solution that may or may not work. And maybe they will get smart in 2020 and include Apple and Android connections, who knows. Love my F350. Good luck with the purchase - oh, the e-locker works great, factory tires suck and the 3.55 rear end is all you need if you get the diesel. For what you are considering I'd look at the new gas jobs and save the big bucks the diesel costs unless you are going to tow heavy.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

I was told the order sheet would not be out until closer to July August for the 2020?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sliding rear window.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Uhhhh wow....
Yes fog lights are a great option.
E locker works well.
4.30s are not needed for hauling a little camper around at all but are nice for power.
All factory tires kinda suck, donโ€™t pay extra.
The rest ???
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold