cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2wd or 4wd for towing

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Having sold our 03 dually in the market for a newer truck for towing our 5th wheel. we now spend winters in florida so see no need for 4wd
is there any advantage to hauling w/4wd over 2wd are frames the same? seems like 2wd dually are hard to find. whats everyone opinion, thanks for any replies
48 REPLIES 48

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And make sure you get a good deal on it because resale is not great on 2 wheelers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Frame, brakes, chassis is just as capable as a 4wd. Actually a bit more because the whole thing weighs less and less parts to wear out/break.
Get a 2 wheeler if you want one. Most don't and thats why no matter where you're at, 4wd out number 2wd by a huge margin.
Save some $ too. Just don't reach for the get out of jail free lever because you won't have one when you're stuck in the mud,grass, cow sht , etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you need to ask... 2WD is fine.
Those that need or want 4WD just get it.

Tow ratings are generally higher on 2WD if that matters.

Carry a tow strap as there are plenty of 4WDs around if needed for a few yards.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We prefer to boondock and dry camp when RVing, having 4x4 has saved our butt too many times to be very glad we have that option on our HD truck. If I was only intending to go from one RV park to another utilizing only paved roads I would probably opt for the non 4x4 version, although the extra cost for 4x4 would only make a slight difference in the monthly payment. Your money your choice.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I have 4x4 mainly because I could not find a truck I wanted that did not have 4x4. Almost all higher trim level Superdutys on dealer lots have 4x4. I have used the 4x4 a few times in muddy pasture on some land I used to own. And have used it a few times thru muddy pasture getting to/from our cabin where we hunt. But I have never used 4x4 while towing the 5er.

Yep, that is exactly what I found when I went shopping for a diesel truck. There are very few 4X2 diesel trucks on the used lots!
Years ago, I had a 4X2 Dodge Ram 3500 dually that I bought specifically for towing a fifth wheel. After we retired from full-timing, I used it to haul horse hay. 35 bales on the truck, and about 100 bales on a flatbed trailer. I drove it across pastures, in hay fields, on skid trails in the mountains (dumb idea, too big!), on gravel, on wet grass, in snow, etc, even over Donner Pass in a blizzard! Never got stuck.
So, now I have had a 4X4 for a couple of years. I think I have put it in four wheel drive a couple of times; once or twice just to test it for operation, and once on snow (it doesn't have a limited slip differential).
So, does the OP really NEED a 4X4? Probably not. Can he find a 4X2 without special ordering it? Again, probably not.
The best bet is to find a truck that meets his needs, and buy it whether it is 4X4 or 4X2. That is how I ended up with a 4X4!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I use 4wd often, not just for snow. Loose sand or gravel, yep 4wd. Wet grass, yep 4wd. Low speed on a steep incline, yep 4LO.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I have 4x4 mainly because I could not find a truck I wanted that did not have 4x4. Almost all higher trim level Superdutys on dealer lots have 4x4. I have used the 4x4 a few times in muddy pasture on some land I used to own. And have used it a few times thru muddy pasture getting to/from our cabin where we hunt. But I have never used 4x4 while towing the 5er.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from a few base contractor trucks, there basically aren't any 2wd trucks or SUVs in Idaho. The few that do exist aren't worth much because nobody wants them. Not much of a decision to be made there - 4wd all the way.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Been using 4wd for about 20 years now. Never go offroad, intentionally. Use it maybe 2 -3 times per year. But it has saved me from calling a tow truck, probably 5 times or so, to get out of mud holes, etc. That alone has probably paid for the exta cost. It gives me peace of mind. You get some of the cost back on tradein.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 4wd because I use my truck in the snow in winter; including towing in the winter. If I was buying off the lot and wasn't using my truck in the snow, I wouldn't let 4wd / non 4wd steer my decision on which truck to buy. That being said, I have used 4wd when camping in the summer after a rain when the area was muddy. Could I have made it without 4wd, I don't know. But worse being worse I have towing service anyways. So in my opinion, outside of snow 4wd is a possible convenience to have maybe 3 or 4 times a lifetime of camping. So is the convenience factor worth the $3,000.00 to you? Your choice.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
When down in FL this winter and you observe me without the 4X4 decal, please do not look down your nose at me.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like many have stated above, it is like insurance how you don’t need it but glad you have when needed. I have posted many times pictures of a trip home from the Oregon Coast in January when rain turned to snow. Nice to reach down and put in 4X4 and continue safely at 45 mph. Also very nice having low range available to back up with manual.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Not for towing...but our truck is my daily driver as well.
Also think of resale ....much harder to sell a 2 wheel drive heavy duty truck, at least where we live.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use my truck for other than towing, but would not buy a truck without 4WD. I do use 4WD at times, even 4-low, in certain situations, when towing, or backing up hill. Some of the newer trucks have the electronic locking rear end, which is a big help, if you only have a 2WD.

Jerry