cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 ton truck questions

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
We've decided to replace our truck (2006 Tundra) with a 3/4 ton truck. I've looked at new and used. Today I saw a couple of very nice used 3/4 ton trucks (Ford and Ram) and I've got a couple questions that I haope you can help with. First, none of the used trucks were equipped to handle a 5th wheel (meaning none had the factory prep package). The sales guy said that it could be easily added, but he didn't know how much it would cost. Is this expensive? Should this work be done by the truck dealer or a could it be done by an RV dealer?

The one dealer (RAM) assured me that his used truck was equipped with the proper rear end (3.73) so it can tow and the other dealer didn't know off hand, but is checking. Is there any way for me to verify, say with the VIN number? I'd like to double check whatever they tell me.

Lastly, we don't have a trailer...yet. We decided (with your help) that our old truck can only safely tow a very light trailer, so we are upgrading. There a couple trailers we really like and they are all have GCWs less that 9000 lbs. We are slightly leaning towards a 5th wheel, but one that's no longer that 30'.

Thanks
44 REPLIES 44

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
14 k under msrp does not sound like a deal to me when you're talking a used truck. I would go for a 350 or 3500 SRW as opposed to a 3/4 ton even though a 3/4 ton diesel and a 1 ton SRW are basically the same truck anyway.... the ride is identical on the Ford.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
You live out on Long Island. Do you need a 250/2500? Neighborhood parking, parkways, and hammer lanes? My wife is a Jersey girl and the 350/3500 could cause me problems when visiting without the 5er. As to 5ers and the 3/4 ton class, it just depends. We have a rear kitchen that weighs 9600# loaded with everything I can think of (including a second spare for the truck, I like to 4 wheel at destinations) and it has never had over 1400# on the pin. The darn thing has been to 46 states and it pulls great with this light pin weight. My diesel F250 has over 2500# on the door sticker, and we have never weighed over 10k total, so all rules of thumb just go out the window when you look at a specific case.

I am a retired engineer, so you have to look at the whole system, not just the parts. However, without the Jersey wife, I too would be in the SRW one ton camp, or get the same thing (less the door sticker) with the camper package on a Ford F250.

Settle on the camper you want, then ask in the forums, and see if you can get a loaded pin estimate. Then buy the truck to fit. Understand you might have to change campers to park the truck at home on LI. Do you have neighborhood rules???

Your 3/4 ton will have the same wheel base as the same cab/bed in a one ton. The difference is in the suspension. Explain why the one ton would be more of an issue over a 3/4 ton.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry..... I was not aware that 150 models could sit lower. I will ask the manufacturer about that. Thanks for the heads-up!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Any of the trailers you’re looking at will be fine behind any gas or diesel 3/4 ton or larger truck produced in the last 10-15years.
Concentrate on miles, price, color, favorite style and whether you want the snort of a diesel or the frequent fill ups of a gasser.
3.73 gassers will do the trick but I’d look for one with 4.10s just for the extra oomph.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"As for a truck, I'm leaning towards a new truck and I'd like a diesel, but that does add significant cost, hence the appeal of the used Ford."

If you can get a great buy on a USED 250/2500, it will work. If buying new, especially with diesel engine, I would just get the 350/3500.

Be aware, that the 150 model FWs may not sit level, when hooked up to the newer HD trucks, especially the 350s.

Jerry

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thoughts about buying very new used trucks with low mileage. The RAM was used buy one of the dealership staff (we met him), so no worries there and the Ford came from Enterprise Rent a Car (another HUGE red flag for me). The Ford was listed at around 14K under MSRP and the sales guy said he was flexible. I normally buy new trucks and probably still will, but the Ford was "certified", had a clean car-fax (maybe not) and came with a warranty. I asked the question about the 5th wheel mod because, I've yet to find a 250/2500 new or used (less than 30K miles that is) with it around here (Long Island), so I'd have to add it either way and I wanted to know if it can be done.

The Ford dealer did post a picture of the white door sticker on the web. The GVWR was 10,000 lbs and Front GAWR was 5,990 and the Rear GAWR was 6,340. That was all the useful info on the tag, other than tire info and the actual VIN. Oddly enough while typing this post, I noticed that the VIN posted on web ad and used in the CAR-FAX report was one number (the last digit) different than what was shown on the white door sticker. A typo or should I smell a rat? My feeling is the latter. My father always if something seems to good to be true, it probably is. Fortunately, my wife likes the RAM the best, but she's more concerned about the ride and aesthetic's. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it performs well and is reliable. Heck I've been driving an 2006 Tundra for 13 years and you can't get much uglier than that!

Some of you asked more about the trailers we are considering, so here goes. We both like the Grand Design line of trailers and 5th wheels the best. The wife likes the fit and finish and I like the way they are built. They seem to be put together with care and are well insulated. We are considering two of the Reflection 150 series (5th wheels), the 260RD (UVW: 7,225 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,325 lbs | Length: 29'9") and 295RL (UVW: 8,496 lbs | Hitch Weight: 1,391 lbs | Length: 32'9"). As for Travel Trailers we are considering the Imagine 2600RB UVW: 5,725 lbs | Hitch Weight: 594 lbs | Length: 29' 8". We are also looking at others, but they are all close in size and weight to these. I don't want to go any larger than these. So in are these trailers well within the capability of 250/2500 or should I be looking more at 350/3500s? It's just my wife and I and maybe in the future a grand child or two, so all of these will do for a long time. Its also very very unlikely that we'll be upgrading to a larger trailer.

As for a truck, I'm leaning towards a new truck and I'd like a diesel, but that does add significant cost, hence the appeal of the used Ford. I'm going to call the dealer and vet out the issue with them. I will let you know what they say.

I really appreciate all of your help.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for a 1T.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
BeerBrewer wrote:
Sorry, they were all 2018s, withe less than 16k miles.

Both should tow that weight trailer fine. Load rating on the newer trucks just keeps going up. But consider stepping up to the 350/3500 if you have any thought at all of going larger, heavier in the future.

My 2012 F350 with the 6.7 diesel has the 3:55 axle. Tows my 35' 5er great, even over Colorado mountain passes. Newer models have even more power.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BeerBrewer wrote:

So I get a little leery with almost new used vehicles with low miles. What was the reason for the return?
Trade for larger TV?
Too big not comfortable?
Issues with drive train?

Likely worth looking at new at that point.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
You live out on Long Island. Do you need a 250/2500? Neighborhood parking, parkways, and hammer lanes? My wife is a Jersey girl and the 350/3500 could cause me problems when visiting without the 5er. As to 5ers and the 3/4 ton class, it just depends. We have a rear kitchen that weighs 9600# loaded with everything I can think of (including a second spare for the truck, I like to 4 wheel at destinations) and it has never had over 1400# on the pin. The darn thing has been to 46 states and it pulls great with this light pin weight. My diesel F250 has over 2500# on the door sticker, and we have never weighed over 10k total, so all rules of thumb just go out the window when you look at a specific case.

I am a retired engineer, so you have to look at the whole system, not just the parts. However, without the Jersey wife, I too would be in the SRW one ton camp, or get the same thing (less the door sticker) with the camper package on a Ford F250.

Settle on the camper you want, then ask in the forums, and see if you can get a loaded pin estimate. Then buy the truck to fit. Understand you might have to change campers to park the truck at home on LI. Do you have neighborhood rules???

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
Also Ford claims that the max 5th wheel towing for the F250 diesel is 16,500 lbs and its max payload us 3120. So do I really need a 350/3500? Don't get me wrong, I'd consider one, I'm just asking. I would think that the 350/3500 ride is more harsh.

No doubt the F250 6.7 diesel can pull that size trailers but like all 3/4 ton truck their limited by those small 6000-6500 lb RAWR which equates to 3000 lb in the bed payloads.

The F250 won;t have issues towing 16500 lb as its the same engine/tranny front and rear axle as the F350srw truck. The F250 with the heavy service or camper package has the same spring packs as the 350 SRW. A 16.5k trailer can have 3500 lb pin weight which can over load the trucks 6200 RAWR.
Fords 16.5 lb tow rating is for all types of 5th wheel/GN trailers like a 16k GN or 5th wheel hitch flatdeck trailer. The trailer can be loaded in such a way to keep the hitch weight within the 3/4 tons 6340 rawr. This isn't possible with a 16k rv trailer with pretty much a fixed hitch weight.

The newer gen 3/4 ton truck have no problems safely carrying hitch loads from 12k lb 5th wheel/GN trailers.

Now if you feel the need to use a gvwr based payload then its also safe.

250 vs 350 ride quality. I would drive both and you decide if either is acceptable.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
BeerBrewer wrote:

First off, if considering low mileage 2018 trucks, you should price a similar NEW model, as there will be little difference in price, after some negotiation.

It will cost more to purchase the FW prep kit, than if it comes factory installed. While you may be able to install the FW prep yourself, it is a bigger job than most folks would tackle on their own. As others mentioned, the rail system for FW hitch works just fine for many.

Either of the 3/4 ton trucks mentioned, can easily handle a 30' FW. That being said, if considering a FW, with more than a GVWR of 12K, a 1 ton would be a better choice.

Jerry

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ram gasser will have plenty of payload, and, due to the coil springs, ride much better than the competition. The F250s are pretty saggy with their soft leaf springs.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Get a photo of the load sticker (on the door jam). That has all the info. You may need to go to the manufacturers site to decode some of the info. But payload is now clearly listed. It will have details about the rear-end ratio and such specific to the truck.

If buying, I would lean toward the 1 ton SRW. For the most part the same truck but higher payload, so the 5er limits will be better

Pin weight is usually the limiting factor and for a 16k lb 5er, that can push 3500lb plus a couple hundred for the hitch plus anything else you load. So while you may be able to pull 16k lb, you might not be able to lift the pin weight that goes with it.

Well unfortunately the "Payload" sticker doesn't have all the necessary information it has the available payload as it left the factory. Those I have looked at they don't have the GAWR's nor the GVWR. Once the vehicle leaves the factory and items added to that vehicle reduced the payload by a like amount. Don't get me wrong the Payload sticker is great when comparing vehicles on a lot, but once off the lot and your "STUFF" is added to it then you need the numbers off the VIN sticker with GVWR and front and rear GAWR's to see what you can carry/pull.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BeerBrewer wrote:
I have a 2017 2500 Ram, 6.4 Hemi. It didn't have the factory fifth wheel prep,and the dealer would not install it. so I bought the part and had it installed by a custom weld/hitch shop. Think I spent less than 500 bucks for the part and installation. Payload is 3025 lbs. Its a standard bed so I bought a B&W companion slider. Some will tell you that you don't need the slider - you do - ask me why...

I tow a 2018 Grand Design 303 RLS that has a GW of almost 12K. The setup works well, the truck pulls it great, but the gas engine makes its power at high RPM, which can be tiring on long trips. It gets 8 - 9 mpg while towing.

I had a Travel Trailer before, and I just love towing a fifth wheel. Trucks pass me without me noticing they are approaching. Everything that I used to put in the bed now goes in the basement - this includes my large beer cooler, my grill, and my portable waste water tote - chairs, the whole 9 yards..

I've used it a lot this year and am presently looking for a 3500 SRW diesel. I don't really need it - but want the diesel for the torque at lower RPMs.

Don't sweat the absence of the fifth wheel prep - but ask around at dealers to see if they install it. If they don't ask who can locally.

I'd get a 3500 SRW diesel. The 2500's with diesels run out of payload pretty fast - but on the other side of the fence, I always see 2500 trucks pulling bigger rigs than mine at camp grounds. I don't understand this - maybe they are going off axle weight? Maybe someone will explan this.

Good luck to you
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS