cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5W40 or 15W40 in 6.7 CTD?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
So the owner's manual in my 2015 Ram says to use 15W40 oil in the 6.7 Cummins diesel, unless the temp is going to routinely be below 0*, in which case you should use 5W40.

Here on Long Island, the temp rarely if ever even gets to 0*, much less stays under it for any period of time. I'm coming up on my first oil change since I've owned the truck, and I was all set to stay with 15W40. However, guys on a couple forums are saying they use 5W40 year round.

Please let's not get into a brand war or discussion about dino vs. synthetic, but I'm interested to know what weight oil you guys are using.
56 REPLIES 56

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
otrfun wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
. . . Another point for me is oil change frequency. The manual says to change oil every 15,000 miles or 500 hours and I don't even come close to that mileage in a year. So, I just change my oil once a year and with the 5W40 I'm covered for any temperature range and I don't have to worry about it.

KJ
Our 2016 Ram Cummins OCI is 15,000 mi., 500 hours, or 6 months, whichever comes first. Your profile says you have a 2014 Ram Cummins. Is the OCI different for the 2014's?
You're right, it does say 6 months. However, I'm comfortable with the additive packages in the synthetic oil and use the 1 year time frame. When I changed oil this summer I had only put 5,200 miles on the truck since July of 2019. If I would have changed oil at 6 months it would have been less than 25% used (on a mileage basis).

KJ
I was just curious, thanks. We have an 8y/120k OEM extended warranty, so we'll be sticking with the 6 mo. OCI for a few more years/miles. If we still have the truck after 8/120 we'll probably go to a 12 mo. OCI using 5w-40.

With that being said, gotta wonder which would keep my Cummins runnin' the longest? 15w-40 changed every 6 mo. or 5w-40 changed every 12 mo.? lol! ๐Ÿ™‚

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
There is not much difference in a used oil analysis between 15k oil at a year and 15k oil at 6 months. The detergents and other compounds in the oil is slightly less, but still well within spec. In fact, it would be next to impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Some like to error on the side of caution because they do not know any better, and I get that. If you have never performed a UOA to know exactly how oil holds up, then by all means change it every 6 months if it makes you feel better and is "cheap insurance" to you. I, on the other hand, would rather know and have hard data when making such decisions. I change it once a year because I know there is no significant difference between the two time frames based on UOA's from my own truck and the thousands of 6.7L Cummins engines we perform UOA's on at work.

The 6 month oil change is probably to cover for B20 diesel, short commute and town driving.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How about compromise with 10W40? Go ahead and mix the two if needed.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
. . . Another point for me is oil change frequency. The manual says to change oil every 15,000 miles or 500 hours and I don't even come close to that mileage in a year. So, I just change my oil once a year and with the 5W40 I'm covered for any temperature range and I don't have to worry about it.

KJ
Our 2016 Ram Cummins OCI is 15,000 mi., 500 hours, or 6 months, whichever comes first. Your profile says you have a 2014 Ram Cummins. Is the OCI different for the 2014's?

You're right, it does say 6 months. However, I'm comfortable with the additive packages in the synthetic oil and use the 1 year time frame. When I changed oil this summer I had only put 5,200 miles on the truck since July of 2019. If I would have changed oil at 6 months it would have been less than 25% used (on a mileage basis).

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Rotella T6 and never worry

yep...and you can get T6 now in 15W-40
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
There is not much difference in a used oil analysis between 15k oil at a year and 15k oil at 6 months. The detergents and other compounds in the oil is slightly less, but still well within spec. In fact, it would be next to impossible to tell the difference between the two.

Some like to error on the side of caution because they do not know any better, and I get that. If you have never performed a UOA to know exactly how oil holds up, then by all means change it every 6 months if it makes you feel better and is "cheap insurance" to you. I, on the other hand, would rather know and have hard data when making such decisions. I change it once a year because I know there is no significant difference between the two time frames based on UOA's from my own truck and the thousands of 6.7L Cummins engines we perform UOA's on at work.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
When receiving money saving advice on a once or twice a year maintenance...

I kinda nod politely while thinking: "So, like, if I don't eat out 3X in the next year I could afford top quality oil and filters for my replacement cost $70,000 pickup then?"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
otrfun wrote:
LIKE2BUILD wrote:

KJ

Well since his truck is OUT of warranty, no need to feel the obligation to stick to the ridiculous 6 month OCI.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Rotella T6 and never worry
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I changed my oil twice per year while my truck was on warranty; I only change it once per year now that it's off warranty. I don't drive it as much as I used to since I bought an older Yukon to pull our boat.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I only drive my truck about 15k miles a year, I only change it once a year as well. I never understood why Ram chose to go 6 months. In other on highway applications that have 15k mile intervals, Cummins recommends 12 months for the 6.7L. It is only the low speed and constant stop/go applications that they recommend 6 months. I guess Ram wanted to be on the safe side.

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
LIKE2BUILD wrote:

KJ

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
This is what the owner's manual says:

I went down the same path wondering which to run when I first got my Ram. The easy answer is run synthetic 5W40 since the arrows point to infinity in each direction. When I first got my truck I went to my local dealer for some Jeep parts and while there asked them which oil they use for servicing Cummins engines. The guy turned around and pointed at stacks of Rotella T6 5W40 on the shelf and told me that's what they put in every single 6.7L truck. I know, DEALER can be a 4-letter word, but if they are using this oil for trucks under warranty then I'll go with it.

Another point for me is oil change frequency. The manual says to change oil every 15,000 miles or 500 hours and I don't even come close to that mileage in a year. So, I just change my oil once a year and with the 5W40 I'm covered for any temperature range and I don't have to worry about it.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the responses and think I'll be fine with the 15W40. Going to order this kit from, Cummins online store.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and know that chart but it is not the hot end that Iโ€™m most interested in.

Film strength is the biggest component specification am in interested in.

As I believe in the articles over many decades referencing that most of engine wear is due to dry starts. Mostly after extended times off, like over night or a few days.

Too many will just shut off their ICE after driving HARD. I allow mine to cool down before shutting down after driving hard. Around town, sure just shut it off, as my ICE doesnโ€™t get up there in temp just driving around town.

Which reminds me...time to replace the severe duty fan clutch, as it doesnโ€™t couple as high as it used to. Know because it doesnโ€™t ROAR anymore.

Am after the highest film strength keeping as much of an oil film as possible and believe higher viscosity of the lower number helps solve that issue.

ShinerBock wrote:
BenK wrote:
IMHO...depends on how hard you plan to drive it...

I'd go higher viscosity

Both have the same viscosity grade of 40 at operating temp so they are about the same when driven hard with 15w40 having the slight edge. It is their cold temp viscosity grade that is different which mainly only comes into play when the oil temp is below 30F. One has a cold viscosity grade of 5W and the other 15W.

Snip....
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...