cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.7 PSD after 2 months

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
After owning 3 F350 Fords through the years and all with 7.3's I never had any trouble with them other than regular maintainece stuff. In Feb. I sold my last, great 02 350 and bought a 2014 F350 cc 4x4 8' bed with the 6.7 Powerstroke and all I can say is.... WOW what a truck ! The pulling power this truck has is amazing and all the electronics it has is crazy....a good crazy... I don't know if the 6.7 will ever be as reliable as the 7.3 but it sure has it beat in power.....Time will tell......PS I'm a Ford guy 100% but I could care less what anyone else drives.
66 REPLIES 66

MackinawMan
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear on the 6.7 PSD. I've always been a Ford Truck guy too, but the disasters of the 6.0 and then the 6.4 (to a lesser degree) have totally spooked me on any new Ford diesels.

I know somewhere down the line (5 years?) a new (or newer) diesel truck is in order, so I hope the 6.7 PSD builds up the same rep as the 7.3 PSD's did. (which I've had 2 of).

So speaking of the 7.3L PSD now I have to defend "my baby".

Are some of you REALLY comparing the 7.3L to the 6.7L?

Geez guys, come on...one engine has been out of production for basically TWELVE YEARS now...:h

I mean what would you expect? I'm sure the newer Cummins and Duramax engines also could put the older Cummins and Durmax models that are now 2 diesel generations older to shame as well.
2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

imfrito
Explorer
Explorer
I have to admit I pull a 8k lb 25' 5th wheel ............but I was getting 9/9.5 with my 6.0 gas GMC

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
wvcampers wrote:
powderman426 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
It must have been the "Ford haters" day off. They usually show up in force to tell you how bad the new diesel offering is.

I don't hate them, I pity them as they will never have the enjoyment of owning a Cummin's. :B

You may be right that some will never own a Cummins because they may never get rid of the 6.7 Ford. I traded my 08 Cummins for my 11 Ford 6.7. No regrets. This is a great truck.

Drove all three, traded my 99 Superduty after nearly 16 years for a 2014 Ram 3500. Never thought it would happen ,but after test driving Chev, and Ford, test drove the new Ram forgot there were two other choices. Could have had any one of them. Time will tell if it was the right choice, but as of now what a truck. The other two have nothing I can see over on the Ram, as I said time will tell.

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
powderman426 wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
It must have been the "Ford haters" day off. They usually show up in force to tell you how bad the new diesel offering is.

I don't hate them, I pity them as they will never have the enjoyment of owning a Cummin's. :B

You may be right that some will never own a Cummins because they may never get rid of the 6.7 Ford. I traded my 08 Cummins for my 11 Ford 6.7. No regrets. This is a great truck.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyj wrote:
What kind of mpg are you guys getting with the 6.7? Does it go thru a lot of DEF fluid? Ive been debating diesel vs gas in my head for some time now. My biggest concern is the cost of ownership ends up being way more then I expected. Not including the up front cost. I know that part going in.

9-12 towing 15k
18-22 solo

DEF towing, 2 1/2 gallons every 2000 miles. No idea not towing, many more miles I would surmise. What is that, about $10 every 2000 to 4000 miles.

I would go gas if you can manage your load with one. But when only a diesel will do, make mine American made.

And to the snide remarks about how about when you have 180,000 miles: With an average of 15,000 miles per year, we should be seeing 180,000 miles in about 12 years of use. Lets see the 6.7 has been out what 4 years now. So why don't you leave for 8 years and we will talk then.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on your truck. To me though...the important thing is how the truck does after the warranty expires.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
imfrito wrote:
I'm getting 15/16.5 mph towing .

Towing a Ghost trailer? LOL...

Probably a 12' aluminum fishing boat:)

breeno
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DRW (which comes with 3.73 gears) and I get around 14 mixed/city, 16-17 on the highway and lately around 10-11 towing. (11.8 last trip out!) All via the computer, which seems to be fairly close the couple times I hand checked it.

Mine seems to chug DEF -- I seem to get around 2-3k / tank. My truck has 10k miles on it (and towing mileage seems to be improving)

After pulling with this beast, I don't really care how much it costs to keep going. Gotta have the p o w e r now ๐Ÿ˜‰
DW-Dayna DD-Addison (07) Husky-Juni (02)
2013 F350 DRW, 4WD, 6.7, Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Gateway 3650 BH
B&W Companion OEM 20k
Apple Enthusiast

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of mpg are you guys getting with the 6.7? Does it go thru a lot of DEF fluid? Ive been debating diesel vs gas in my head for some time now. My biggest concern is the cost of ownership ends up being way more then I expected. Not including the up front cost. I know that part going in.
Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
imfrito wrote:
I'm getting 15/16.5 mph towing .

Towing a Ghost trailer? LOL...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
afishinado wrote:
I have been researching for the last month for my first TV....
I'm a dyed-in-wool bow tie guy since forever... My current (and the last 3) daily driver is a Tahoe. Had a 83ish E350 van years ago with diesel in my work fleet, bullet proof. Rented a 2013 F-150 for a month last year, loved it... So, here I am doing due diligence and looking at what to buy, reading the 'stuff' on the internet about each of the big 3... Had lots of Chrysler products over the years, they work..... generally... My jaw dropped reading about the 6.0 & 6.4 Fords, really disappointed.. WTH, how can Ford produce trucks for 10 years with bad engines? Something is amiss. The only one left standing was my beloved bow tie... But that doesn't necessarily make me happy, I'm not married to any brand of anything.
So, I ask myself... How can there be so many Fords for sale with 150-200k on them? Have they all been fixed? Trust me, this is all confusing!! BTW, I'm a motor head of sorts.. Had all kinds of go-fast stuff, cars, boats, motorcycles... Had bigger boats with diesels, I own a crane company, and I'm still having trouble deciding. Two weeks ago it had to be a Duramax 07.5 or newer, last week it had to be a 5.9 Cummins and a Megacab. I guess next week it will be a Ford.... BTW, my budget for my first TV is $20k, I am going to test the RVing waters with my little toe before I jump in.

There is a very good chance my next truck will be another 6.7 Ford but if I were looking for a diesel for under $20k I would be willing to consider 2004 or newer Rams and I would likely end up buying a 2006 or newer Duramax.

I purchased a 05 Dodge for our ranch hand and after 1.5 years I sold it and recently purchased another 7.3 Super Duty. If it wasn't one thing it was 3 more with that truck so off it went! :M

Your story could be any truck that is not new. I heard from all owners about how bad their earlier truck was so not much meaning to your story even when it is a true one as you are telling.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
afishinado wrote:
I have been researching for the last month for my first TV....
I'm a dyed-in-wool bow tie guy since forever... My current (and the last 3) daily driver is a Tahoe. Had a 83ish E350 van years ago with diesel in my work fleet, bullet proof. Rented a 2013 F-150 for a month last year, loved it... So, here I am doing due diligence and looking at what to buy, reading the 'stuff' on the internet about each of the big 3... Had lots of Chrysler products over the years, they work..... generally... My jaw dropped reading about the 6.0 & 6.4 Fords, really disappointed.. WTH, how can Ford produce trucks for 10 years with bad engines? Something is amiss. The only one left standing was my beloved bow tie... But that doesn't necessarily make me happy, I'm not married to any brand of anything.
So, I ask myself... How can there be so many Fords for sale with 150-200k on them? Have they all been fixed? Trust me, this is all confusing!! BTW, I'm a motor head of sorts.. Had all kinds of go-fast stuff, cars, boats, motorcycles... Had bigger boats with diesels, I own a crane company, and I'm still having trouble deciding. Two weeks ago it had to be a Duramax 07.5 or newer, last week it had to be a 5.9 Cummins and a Megacab. I guess next week it will be a Ford.... BTW, my budget for my first TV is $20k, I am going to test the RVing waters with my little toe before I jump in.

There is a very good chance my next truck will be another 6.7 Ford but if I were looking for a diesel for under $20k I would be willing to consider 2004 or newer Rams and I would likely end up buying a 2006 or newer Duramax.

I purchased a 05 Dodge for our ranch hand and after 1.5 years I sold it and recently purchased another 7.3 Super Duty. If it wasn't one thing it was 3 more with that truck so off it went! :M
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

imfrito
Explorer
Explorer
Wow 52?? I purchased a new 2011 f250 Superduty 6.7 long bed with most the bells and whistles in San Diego for 38K . Three things ,Now when I go up the grapevine on cruise at 62 the truck never even shifts out of 6th gear, when I'm pulling on an off ramp to hiway speeds if I step on it too hard the truck chirps the tires when it shifts,and third I'm getting 15/16.5 mph towing .So far no issues other then Its hard to keep the grim off when towing with this beast!!!

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
breeno wrote:

...on second thought, it is pretty easy to put a price tag on it: 52.5k$ (that left a mark!)

You're lucky. I priceed out a new truck (checked all 3). Lowest price up here is still $20K higher than you paid.

Looks like when its time for a new one I will be dheading south to buy.
Dan

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
RADROG wrote:
Would be nice to hear from 2011+/6.7 owners with 150K+ miles. That would say
so much more than "11,000 miles and not one problem." Seriously?

=

I agree completely.

At 11,000 miles, it's not even broken in, and you're still high on the "new truck smell" from all the phenolics gassing off in the cab.

Come here after 189,000 more miles, a few dealer trips for new injectors and a new fuel pump, and let us know how it is after that.

๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. Let us know how that warranty thing works out too.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820