cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A good friend

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good friend of mine - new to RVing - bought a used 21 ft toy hauler to drag his and hers Harleys around the country and he is smart enough to know this is 3/4 ton and up country.

The 2 trucks on his short list are a 2005 Ford 6.0 and a 2009 Ford 6.4. They are on his list because they are way cheaper than Chevys or Dodges.

How to tell him to avoid Ford diesels - even though they are apparent bargains.

He is asking my advice and I don't want to come over as a brand loyal asphat.
29 REPLIES 29

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Ugh, for god sake please steer him clear of those trucks and advise him that they are much cheaper than the other 2 for good reason. Having a truck that you are nervous about taking anywhere far from home is not a good feeling and I am speaking from experience with my 6.0L.

X2. Tell him he needs to set aside funds for future use expensive repairs. Ford quit using those engines for a reason and they cheap because of that. My 6.0 cost me $5000 in repairs in one year and still had issues.

We purchased an 08 GMC with 98000 miles three ago and have zero issues and it's far more quieter and powerful. We paid $28000, so tell him to keep looking as the deals are out there.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
A newer gas truck of any brand would be a better choice if that's his budget.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
Rec a v10 to him ,he,ll be your friend forever.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Well as with ANY used truck gas or diesel if you don't know the truck and the owner then RUN as fast as you can and as far as you can. A lightly modded truck like exhaust air intake and a very lite tune from a person that has well kept maintenance records with receipts would be the only way I would every buy a used truck gas or diesel. As for the Ford 6.0 no way 6.4 still no way the cost in the long run will out pace the cost of a 7.3 Ford or any GM or Dodge.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Friends don't let friends drive drunk.... Friends should not let friends buy POS diesel trucks... ha, ha!

As was said, there is a reason those trucks are priced the way they are...

I'm a Ford guy all the way, but you couldn't give me one of those trucks with those diesel engines in them..

Yeah, I'm only driving an F150... With a controversial EcoBoost in it.. So, there you go... ๐Ÿ™‚ I really don't know anything!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Neither, look for something else

The correct answer in a nutshell!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Friends let friends purchase 7.3's!

Or 5.9s a better choice all around.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Friends let friends purchase 7.3's!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Well, are the trucks he's potentially buying already modified with the reliability items common for them? For the 6.4, if something goes wrong, it's really expensive. They only had that engine in fords for 3 model years, but even 2010 was cut short so they could quickly roll out the 2011 6.7 motor. So if anything goes wrong on a 6.4, the parts are nowhere near as common as 6.0 parts and its aftermarket. Also, you could point out just how large the "Reliability" aftermarket is for both of those engines. Those parts exist because there is quite a market for them. You don't really hear much about a "Bullet Proofing" kit for the Duramaxes, Cummins, or 7.3 / 6.7 Powerstrokes. Really, the only "Reliability" mod that people do with newer trucks is delete the emissions to remove the whole EGR and Aftertreatment systems. But those systems also aren't all that problematic except for people with a lousy duty cycle (Lots of idling / slow traffic). And for the earlier ford 6.7 with the single-sequential turbo, a few people started swapping out the newer turbo which is a typical VG turbo and doesn't have the bearing issues of the 1st gen 6.7 truck.

Secondly, as other have stated, does he or she plan to hold onto it for a long time? If so, your odds of failure do increase and if the vehicles are not bullet-proofed, you could potentially see a very expensive bill down the line. It's these fears that make these vehicles a "Bargain" in the used vehicle market. If set on Ford, refer him to get a 7.3 or 2013+ 6.7 diesel.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
He's wrong, those trucks will be much more expensive - in the long run.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Ugh, for god sake please steer him clear of those trucks and advise him that they are much cheaper than the other 2 for good reason. Having a truck that you are nervous about taking anywhere far from home is not a good feeling and I am speaking from experience with my 6.0L.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Neither, look for something else
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
As an owner of a 2005 6.0 diesel I'll tell him to stay away from it. Mine ran just great up until it didn't run great anymore. $8,000+ about three months ago and it runs fine again.

The 6.4 I think will get slightly less fuel mileage, but you can buy a lot of fuel for $8,000.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the 6.4 have a bullet proof recipe? or is that just for the 6.0?

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 6.4 has a better reputation than the 6.0 does as you may know. Tho lots of people have the 6.0 without any problems. But you are playing the odds when you buy used.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper