cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC fan on?

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it OK to leave the AC fan on continuously? Or, overnight...for white noise?

We used to do this with our pop up, but the thermostat and AC unit were a different kind.
29 REPLIES 29

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I bought the Maxxair Turbo Fan. The fan is completely on the OUTSIDE of your RV.

that Is why I preferred the Maxxair I had since the motor/noise/etc. was outside, to the rear, facing down and could be left open rain or shine, no need for problematic auto rain sensor, etc.
bumpy

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hannibal wrote:
Tinnitus. I know it well.

Yup, that's it.

Bill Shatner and the late Leonard Nemoy have the same thing caused by a explosion during the filming of a Star Trek episode called Arena . Or, at least I think that was what it was called. The one with the Gorn in it.

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoy the sound of a fan for white noise. I have an app on my IPhone that mimics the sound of a fan running. I can set the level of sound and the speed at which the fan runs.

My phone is always with me and at night on my night stand so I can have my "fan" anywhere I am at.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
GaryWT wrote:
One of the very common discussions on all these forums is people complaining that their fan is running and blowing cold air while their heat is on and the answer everyone gives is to set the fan on auto so you don't get the cold air. Now I do not know the entire set up but I have seen that topic hundreds of times.

Many trips we do not open the windows and just run the fan without the AC.

It keeps the trailer nice and cool so whatever it does, it works for us.

I bought the Maxxair Turbo Fan. The fan is completely on the OUTSIDE of your RV.

This fan is unbelievable. I turn that thing on exhaust in the front and open the back roof vent and it's a tornado in the MH! Not only that it completely airs out your RV in seconds. I also leave that puppy running when driving down the road and it keeps the dogs cool.

And you never hear it running, the best part.

Not to mention I hardly use the air anymore! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm still stuck on WHY anyone would want 'any' noise white or otherwise at night when RV'ing. :H

CLICK HERE Type in 13000 as the frequency, and press play. Now turn the volume as loud as it goes on your speakers. This is what I live with 24/7/365.

I need white noise or I can't sleep.

It's called tinnitus.

And it can drive you crazy.

Thank you for explaining it, learn something new everyday. :C

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Tinnitus. I know it well.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
One of the very common discussions on all these forums is people complaining that their fan is running and blowing cold air while their heat is on and the answer everyone gives is to set the fan on auto so you don't get the cold air. Now I do not know the entire set up but I have seen that topic hundreds of times. Many trips we do not open the windows and just run the fan without the AC. It keeps the trailer nice and cool so whatever it does, it works for us.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
intheburbs wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Evap coil is enclosed/sealed/insulated from outside air (otherwise the hot outside air would suck up all the cold air).
Remove return air filter.look inside and you will see evap coil.

Well, then the insulation must stink on mine. If I put on the blower when it's cold outside, I get some pretty cold air coming out of the vents, just as if the compressor was running.

The hot oustide air doesn't suck up all the cold air because the cold is being generated by the evaporation of the refrigerant. And hotter air is being blown out the other end of the system at the condenser coil. If that system isn't running, it'll scavenge heat from anywhere.

Then you might want to check the evap coil enclosure.

Mine has insulation and the corners/seams/screws are covered/sealed with insulating tape (which I redo every time I open evap coil cover)so the evap coil area stays cold when A/C is running.
In winter.with A/C fan running the warm air is pulled up thru evap coil and then warm air comes out of A/C ducts cause evap coil is not in service and enclosure is sealed from outside.

Nice way to circulate the furnace air.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't hurt the fan to run all night. But.... it might if its continuous every night.

Al

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Evap coil is enclosed/sealed/insulated from outside air (otherwise the hot outside air would suck up all the cold air).

Well, then the insulation must stink on mine. If I put on the blower when it's cold outside, I get some pretty cold air coming out of the vents, just as if the compressor was running.

The hot oustide air doesn't suck up all the cold air because the cold is being generated by the evaporation of the refrigerant. And hotter air is being blown out the other end of the system at the condenser coil. If that system isn't running, it'll scavenge heat from anywhere.

rockhillmanor wrote:
I'm still stuck on WHY anyone would want 'any' noise white or otherwise at night when RV'ing. :H

CLICK HERE Type in 13000 as the frequency, and press play. Now turn the volume as loud as it goes on your speakers. This is what I live with 24/7/365. I need white noise or I can't sleep. It's called tinnitus. And it can drive you crazy.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I use a small fan for white noise when I'm not running the AC. In my quite old TT the AC fan is quite noisy.

I have worked on the farm all of my life. My hearing as been badly damaged from all the loud equipment noise. If I don't have some sort of background noise going on at all times my ears get a "ringing" sensation going on. (I wouldn't describe it as ringing myself but, that is what I've heard it called.)

There is a technical name for this but, I don't remember what it it called.

The white noise from the fan is enough sound for me to drowned out the ringing in my ears.

It's a common problem for those of us that work in environments where there is a lot of noise.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I use a small fan for white noise when I'm not running the AC. In my quite old TT the AC fan is quite noisy.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
intheburbs wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
GaryWT wrote:
We run our fan most of the time for air flow and to keep the trailer cool if we do not need the AC. If the heat is on we do not run the fan as it would bring in cold air from the outside. We sleep with the tv on so we are not running the fan for white noise. Generally don't open the windows either.

How would it bring cold air in from outside?

RV A/C Units do not pull ANY outside air in............outside air only cools condenser (coil under slotted rear area of roof shroud)
The trailer air is pulled up thru ceiling return vent/filter across evap coil (where the air gets cold) and then out thru ducts/ceiling grill by the room fan.

Fan recirculates inside air only.....be it cool spring air/cold summer a/c air or warm winter furnace air.

Yes, the unit is only recirculating air, not pulling it in. However, the fan blows the air over the heat exchanger, which is exposed to the outside. By definition, a heat exchanger streamlines the exchange of heat energy. When you're running the A/C, the evaporator coils are cold and cool the air blowing through them. In the winter, the coils are cold because they're exposed to the outside air, and will cool the air as it's blown through them.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
GaryWT wrote:
We run our fan most of the time for air flow and to keep the trailer cool if we do not need the AC. If the heat is on we do not run the fan as it would bring in cold air from the outside. We sleep with the tv on so we are not running the fan for white noise. Generally don't open the windows either.

How would it bring cold air in from outside?

RV A/C Units do not pull ANY outside air in............outside air only cools condenser (coil under slotted rear area of roof shroud)
The trailer air is pulled up thru ceiling return vent/filter across evap coil (where the air gets cold) and then out thru ducts/ceiling grill by the room fan.

Fan recirculates inside air only.....be it cool spring air/cold summer a/c air or warm winter furnace air.

Yes, the unit is only recirculating air, not pulling it in. However, the fan blows the air over the heat exchanger, which is exposed to the outside. By definition, a heat exchanger streamlines the exchange of heat energy. When you're running the A/C, the evaporator coils are cold and cool the air blowing through them. In the winter, the coils are cold because they're exposed to the outside air, and will cool the air as it's blown through them.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)