cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air bags

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up the FW today and measured the drop on the rear and it went down 3" not the 1 1/2" I guessed before at what point do you considerer air bags?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
15 REPLIES 15

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
grampscamper wrote:
I have the camper package on my F250. When I would hookup the 5th wheel the truck would settle into the helper springs. I added air bags earlier this year and saw a noticeable improvement in the ride. Now my truck sags only slightly with about 40 lbs. in the bags. I put enough air in the bags so I'm just off the helpers. The truck is level now and I had to lower my hitch so the 5th wheel is level.

Which brand air bags? Do you have a on board compressor?

I have Air Lift bags. No on board compressor.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

Beavis01350
Explorer
Explorer
Air Bags are infinitly adjustable, complete comfort loaded or not. Best wat to go, I love mine. Even helped the ride quality with my old 7K lbs TT.
Shawn McGill

2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD D-Max W/ bagges CCSB
2016 Carbon 297 Toy Hauler

Bedlam
Timbrens must be installed with enough gap to allow for some normal suspension travel before engaging. There also two "spring rates" for the Timbrens based on the load you carry. Hop over the truck camper side of the forums since we carry heavy weights with high CG for more discussion on suspension modifications.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
If you have the camper package with the upper overload springs, you just need the Torklift upper StableLoads to engage that spring sooner. If you do not, I would suggest Timbrens or SuperSprings to get greater spring rate. Bags will help some of that sag, but 3" worth of sag will be hard on the bags and most likely make your truck mushy and porpoising.

I had an F-250HD diesel that I used Timbrens on...complete junk in my opinion, ride felt like I had no suspension at all, like riding on a hay wagon, went to air bags, 200% improvement on ride!! That's what bags are for is to help with loaded sag, not mushy at all on my truck.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
If you have the camper package with the upper overload springs, you just need the Torklift upper StableLoads to engage that spring sooner. If you do not, I would suggest Timbrens or SuperSprings to get greater spring rate. Bags will help some of that sag, but 3" worth of sag will be hard on the bags and most likely make your truck mushy and porpoising.

Wow, 3" drop with a 2,000# pin, that 250 must have some soft springs! If I needed to add some suspension help likely would do the Torklift upper StableLoads.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bedlam
Colo Native wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

I do have the camper pkg.

If you look at the perches in relation to the springs, you will see that it takes quite a bit of spring deflection on the main pack befor the overload spring engages. using a taller pad will kick in your overload sooner allow for less sag.

Here you can see the upper and lower StableLoad on my F250:

This camper is about 4000 lbs when loaded with gear and water and you can see how level it sits:

I did use Firestone air bags at around 50 PSI in addition to the StableLoads when I connected my 8000 lb enclosed trailer using a WHD on a 2.5' receiver extension:

For those that decry I am overloading, The Sterling axle handles 9750 lbs, Vision 19.5" rims handle 4500 lbs and 245/70R195.5 tires handle 4805 lbs. I was about 7000 lbs on the rear axle with the camper and 8000 lbs on the rear with the camper and trailer. GVW was over 12k lbs and GCW was over 19K lbs even though GVWR was 9800 lbs and GCWR was 23.5K lbs.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
I have the camper package on my F250. When I would hookup the 5th wheel the truck would settle into the helper springs. I added air bags earlier this year and saw a noticeable improvement in the ride. Now my truck sags only slightly with about 40 lbs. in the bags. I put enough air in the bags so I'm just off the helpers. The truck is level now and I had to lower my hitch so the 5th wheel is level.

Which brand air bags? Do you have a on board compressor?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
Retired DFD

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

I do have the camper pkg.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
Retired DFD

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting. This past week, I had to make two trips to LV to pick up - drop off my daughter at the airport. I stopped counting the number of pickups pulling 5ers that their headlights were lighting up the top of telephone poles.

If the rear of your truck is sagging 3", you better bet that your headlights are way up there and blinding everyone coming towards you.

Air Bags or other devices to get your headlights back down to normal setting is a must!

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

Bedlam
The upper StableLoads will help squat the most. The lower ones help sway more. With upper and lower StableLoads, I had no trouble carrying 4000 lbs of camper in the back of a F250.

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Timbrens but found Torklift Lower Stableloads to ride better on my 2011 F250. I also added home made Upper Stableloads which helped even more. Squat is about an inch now. I have a relatively heavy pin weight of 2800lbs though.
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

Bedlam

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
About 1.5 inches ago... When would YOU consider them?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS