cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Tabs Installed

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
Well I pull the trigger to and install Air Tabs on my camper. Hoping to cut the wind noise around the passenger door and reduce bugs. We will see how it works. ART

55 REPLIES 55

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have them on the rear of my class C which is where the company recommends they be installed. I did get reduced noise in the RV. I would do them on my next RV.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
This tells a little more about them.

Air Tabs

They seem to be very expensive but if they could be bought at a reasonable price they might be worth a try.

Could I ask where you purchased them and the coat?
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting, I hope your experiment solves your noise and bugs issue. Anxious to hear the follow up info.

I went the air deflector route and it has worked out better than expectations by reducing bug splat to 5 or 10%, and wind noise is the same with or without camper. Before installing air deflector the noise was so great that my wife and I would have to yell to each other. I have never tried checking mpg numbers as I believe it takes approx. 10000 miles to get proper average mpg with a TC. I really don't want to go that far with all the wind noise.

2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything we do to try to get better fuel economy is a good thing. I applaud the idea of trying this, its a good idea IMO.
Why not put them on the nose of the pickup as well and on the sideview mirrors to deflect the sides , where the camper is wider than the truck.

I think each individual will get different results regarding mpg.
Every time i fill up any vehicle, i can choke extra fuel in to the tank . In varies on the amount . In order to achieve MPG results, the fuel fill would have to be to the same exact level each time . That might be a little difficult to do .
I would think if they helped save fuel costs, they would be on a lot of trucks. I don't see them being used on commercial trucks. Any thing i have read, they help with bugs but not MPG.

For anyone interested, i found this informative . The impact on a tc is not the same as a semi but some of the info here is helpful.

http://cumminsengines.com/uploads/docs/cummins_secrets_of_better_fuel_economy.pdf

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope they work well. I can't say I like the looks of them.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Did you install them at the rear end of the tc? And on the sides and top surface?

Thats not a TC, its a cabover camper.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very interesting. The air foils that I've seen were fairly spendy.
Would you mind telling how much they cost.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
interesting. ill be looking for a report on how it works for you.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed them on the bunk over the cab. I get a lot of wind noise inside the cab. Some guys put air foils on there rigs. It was mention about these air tabs in a older post. I found a local company that carried them so I wanted to give them a try. I hopping it will cut the bugs also. I will keep everyone inform on the results. I might mention they were easy to install I snap a chalk line use my thumb as a spacer. Then you peel the paper off and it has sticky on the back of them. Simple.... ART

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting; Be sure to report the results. Never see them installed under the cab over before.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Did you install them at the rear end of the tc? And on the sides and top surface?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.