cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anticipating Possible Future Replacement Components

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Members:. We have a 2005 Lane 1181 and due to its excellent present condition expect to keep it for some time (> 10 years). Can members give me some indication of what appliances or slide mechanisms may have to be replaced in that twenty year life span from their experiences so that we can anticipate them? Cheers christl
Also hearing there are no time lines to these things is helpful in itself.
14 REPLIES 14

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
My 1995 Lance still has all original appliances and all are working perfectly. Obviously keeping the caulking in good shape is critical.

Oops, forgot that the genny was replaced in 2007, so at 12 years.

Hi jmcgsd: I am curious how many hours were on the genny?

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
My 1995 Lance still has all original appliances and all are working perfectly. Obviously keeping the caulking in good shape is critical.

Oops, forgot that the genny was replaced in 2007, so at 12 years.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The roof vent covers will need to be replaced. They become brittle over time and sun exposure. Check them for brittleness and be prepared to replace one or more.

I carry a spare water pump. If the pump fails then the camper is basically dead.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
If your unit has a Jensen radio, it should have been replaced when it was new. :R What pieces of krap.

Just kidding.....no actually I'm not.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not had to replace anything on my 2003 Lance that was Lance specific (if that is what your question really is). I did a hot water ignition board, and recently replaced the diaphram of the water pump. The Fantastic Fan lid broke and they replaced that for free (love that company!). That was all commodity RV gear and readily attainable. None of it was a Lance-only item.

I do understand where you are coming from. With automobile manufacturers, they will discontinue parts after a few years and it can really be a PITA to deal with simple problems of proprietary parts. I get your thinking about the slide (which I don't have). There could be wear items there which are Lance specific which you might want to grab a spare of.

HTH,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've replaced the fridge electronic board, water heater thermal limit switch, a, and the convertor in my '98 BF which was purchased new. All other appliances and appliance parts are original.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
After our first trip this summer and getting a water leak in the 1/2'' pressured water hose we now will always carry a pipe cutter and an extra foot of the 1/2'' 150PSI water hose. Friends with a fifth wheel had a similiar leak under the sink two weeks ago.
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks for providing these comments; they are useful to me to get some idea. Anyone has other comments to add - please provide. I do not have any problems changing a water pump, faucet, fan etc. Not so much familiar with how to replace slide motor or furnace or fridge but will tackle them when it happens. Is there any maintenance I can do or be as easy on operating the slide as possible (our first slide in a camper) that folks would suggest? I have already put silicone spray foam on seals and baby powdered them so seals do not stick to walls as video suggests. cheers christl

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
My last Lance 1994 bought at 10 years old, everything worked for 10 more years and we sold it for $500 less than we paid for it, our new to us Lance 2004 1071, bought at 10 years old will probably last the same, Lance will work and hold its value.
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

weedrancher
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Lance 920 new in 2004. It doesn’t have a slide so I can’t advise about slide parts. Almost everything is still working like new. During the past 11 years, I had to replace a refrigerator circuit board, vent covers, water heater pressure-relief valve, galley faucet and a grey water dump valve. Most of the parts that I have replaced were minor hardware items that wore out or I broke. Even though the water pump still works, I think it will be the next item I’ll replaced.
2002 Dodge Cummins 4X4,2004 Lance 920,, Airlift suspension, Roadmaster anti-sway bar, TorkLift tie downs, Fastguns, StableLoads

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. This is as social as I get.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Water pump and slide motor (as already mentioned).

Also slide seals, air conditioner or fan, battery or batteries and electric and/or converter charger.

Fridges are a toss up...some of the components can be replaced though.

Roof - depending on how or if it's properly taken care of and whether or not you take care of it.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, we have a 96 Southwind (no slides) with the original appliances.
They're all working properly, even the original coffee maker.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every appliance, hot water heater and water pump, but nothing specific to a TC. If also go to good LEDs that don't stress the outlets as much. Besides that vinyl inserts and awnings.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Refer
micro wave
slide motor

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker