cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to monitor temps inside TT when gone for day? ideas?

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
I am going on a week long trip in my trailer this summer, and bringing all 3 dogs. During the days we will be gone at different events. Anyone know of anything I could use to monitor the temps inside my trailer while I am gone? I always fear blowing a fuse or tripping the breaking on the air conditioning while I am gone for the day, and my dogs literally baking to death inside the trailer.(I know that sounds cruel)
I need to figure something out because I cant leave the dogs at home, and I also cant bring them to the events with us each day.
I do put a lock on my panel box so nobody can "accidently" kick my plug out which has happened before.
Forgot to mention this will all take place during the hottest time of the summer, the week after the 4th of July.
Advice? Ideas?
Thanks!
43 REPLIES 43

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the helpful replies, I am looking into all the options.
Leaving the dogs at a kennel isn't an option for quite a few reasons, not to mention we have 3 dogs, not just one or two.
I think the reason I worry about this is one time I had a neighboring camper "accidently" kick out my plug and didn't notice until hours later when we returned home from the lake that the power had been out with no a/c running (thankfully no dogs came that time). I now use a lock on the box to prevent that from occurring.
When we take this trip in July during the day we will be at a convention center during the days and will return each night.
Thanks for all the advice!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
tessa25 wrote:
I plan on using a wifi camera, clock and a thermometer. So I can see my dogs and the temp at the same time. Sharx has wifi cameras on Amazon, the just put a clock and thermometer in view of the camera.

But what I want to do is have the temp, time, and pic uploaded to the internet once a minute. Then I just use my cellphone to check a website to see the time and temp associated with the last image.

Connectsense will do what you want minus the video.

Now I like that idea.
I do think the OP is worrying a bit much. I take our dog on every trip. Yes we site see or visit friends and the dog just stays in the RV. I really don't worry if the A/C goes out.
I guess if I ever got really concerned I could leave my cell number with the CG and ask them to notify me if there is a power failure otherwise I'm off doing my thing without worry. I do not spend one moment wandering if the A/C failed.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

tessa25
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on using a wifi camera, clock and a thermometer. So I can see my dogs and the temp at the same time. Sharx has wifi cameras on Amazon, the just put a clock and thermometer in view of the camera.

But what I want to do is have the temp, time, and pic uploaded to the internet once a minute. Then I just use my cellphone to check a website to see the time and temp associated with the last image.

Connectsense will do what you want minus the video.
Palomino Gazelle G150

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Board them, this is the cost of having pets.

And this is the reason we travel pet free. Don't care if I am late getting back or what happens while I am gone. And I am sure your dog is not the one barking for hours while your gone. Its some ones else dog.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
This is the reason for boarding facilities. A subject I have strong opinions on. You could either board them at your home vet or clinic or make arrangements ahead of time at a facility near where you'll be camping. If they could stand a bath or grooming, find a Petsmart or similar and that'll take care of one day.

By the time you invest in some gadget that may or may not do its job, you could be assured they'd be cool and cared for. Another option would be to see if your vet could recommend one in the area who might be able to connect you up with someone who would come to your campsite and be with the dogs, walk them, etc. I know there is expense involved, but figure that into the cost of this trip as an essential, which it is. No activity is worth coming back to a tragedy.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply monitoring max/min won't cut it for the OP...since the dogs are in the TT he needs to know in real time if the temp exceeds limits. There are wireless devices that you can connect where it will notify you via text message if the temp exceeds the limits...BUT...you need to be in area with reliable cell coverage both at the CG and at the event where you will be. You also need to be able to receive text messages, ie if you are at a loud event or in a bid enclosed convention center reception may not be good and/or it may be difficult to monitor your phone.

You also need to consider that you need to be prepared to leave the event should you get a temp warning.

Have you considered boarding the dogs at home? If we have a trip planned like this with a lot of sightseeing or away time form the CG, we wouldn't take the dogs with us....for a few $/day you can board them at a kennel by your home. They will be well cared for an you don't have to take a risk leaving them in the TT all day.

AtomicChicken
Explorer
Explorer
Well, an overly complicated solution would be to use an environment monitor. You could set alarm levels and be alerted when the temperature surpasses that threshold (via e-mail or text message).

You'd need someway whoever for a unit like this to have Internet access for the communications bit otherwise it'll be useless if you can't be alerted.

http://www.itwatchdogs.com/temperature-humidity-climate-monitor-watchdog-15-p71.html
2007 F-150
2006 Sun Valley RoadRunner 240BH
Prodigy P2 / EAZ-Lift WDH

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You see a couple of such services being advertised on TV for doing this. Have no idea what the cost might be for the service.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
BubbaChris wrote:
Years ago I picked up a wired indoor/outdoor thermometer which allows me to manually reset the Min/Max tracking.

The "outdoor" wire broke off years ago, but I still keep the module inside my car to monitor those temps (for similar reasons). I always wanted to be able to prove what the car's temperature was when leaving dogs in there inside crates. I'm now at the time of year when I cannot leave them, even for a "minute or two"

This^. Many indoor/outdoor thermometers have a min/max feature that can be reset each day, or however often you want. This has to be an electronic indoor/outdoor, not one with a thermometer tube. It will tell you the hottest temp it gets in the trailer and the coolest. They don't cost much and should solve your problem.

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago I picked up a wired indoor/outdoor thermometer which allows me to manually reset the Min/Max tracking.

The "outdoor" wire broke off years ago, but I still keep the module inside my car to monitor those temps (for similar reasons). I always wanted to be able to prove what the car's temperature was when leaving dogs in there inside crates. I'm now at the time of year when I cannot leave them, even for a "minute or two"
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the CG host can check on them for you. You could always ask.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you are going some campgrounds offer a service to check on pets. Some offer dog walking as well.

this might help
Bring Fido

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this??
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

cmack
Explorer
Explorer
If you have internet there are wifi thermostats that allow remote access and maybe alerting
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat SCREW 4x4 3.5EB 3.55
2014 Dutchmen 190QB
Equal-i-zer 1000# hitch
TM-508 TPMS