cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approaching 200K miles and still going strong !

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
The now "old Dodge" speedometer says 192K miles and still going strong. Just got another set of H-load rated tires to haul the heavy camper. ( I actually think I have an additional 3% added to this total because of the 19.5" wheels on the truck) The truck has been relatively trouble free. Many of the miles are with the TC, but unlike many here, it is loaded and unloaded a lot and used as a daily driver.

When at the big Truck camper show in Ogallala, Nebraska a few years back we talked to a dealer who said he had a LOT more miles than this... so on we go, keep up the maintenance and "let er run"!

How many others here have high mileage vehicles ? Perhaps 200K miles is NOT really high mileage for a diesel truck TC carrier.
- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide
28 REPLIES 28

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think you need to be pushing 250k before you even consider talking about high milage, especially with a diesel.

We have a 5th wheel but our 1992 F250 7.3, is just about there. The engine just chuggs along but we are quickly losing bits of the body to Michigan rust and the drivers seat has a permanent recline.

We just upgraded to a 2003 with the gas V10. Luckily we hadn't sold the old one as the new one got crunched in a minor crash, so we just hooked up to the old one and kept going.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks...I might look at them this winter.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

a4edriver
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto,

I just finished doing a valve adjustment on my 98.5 24v Dodge. I have 149K miles on it and the service manual says to adjust valves at 150K miles. It was fairly easy. They didn't need much adjustment. Three or four of them didn't need any and the others may have been about half a thou loose. I followed the instructions put out by this fellow:

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/121-valve-lash-adjustment

I also highly recommend the Turbo Diesel Register forum and magazine. They have really helped me get answers and advice for various problem issues and upgrades to the truck.

Buzz
Buzz, Sherri, and Spridgy the camper cat
1998 Dodge Ram 2500, 24v CTD, QC, LB, 47re, 3.54 posi
2007 Four Wheel Grandby camper

Simplygib
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
Have any of you Cummins owners ever had the valves adjusted?

At how many miles?

How far out of adjustment were they?

I just adjusted mine a month ago at 171k miles. They weren't out by far. Several needed no adjustment, several were loose by a few thousandths, two were tight by a few thousandths. I've had the truck for the last 41k miles and have no idea if they were adjusted prior to that.

1993 Ram 250 12v. 172k miles now. I've owned it for 7 years. The camper is on it 98% of the time. Best truck I've ever owned. Just routine maintenance so far - oil, filters, brakes (once), battery (once), rotors turned once, tires. Same mpg as Trail Walker reported. Worst thing about it is the faded paint on the hood and roof, but that's getting taken care of right now (in the paint shop, should be done in a few days). I'm hoping this truck outlasts me.
Gary and Zahra
RV Solar 101

Phancy
Explorer
Explorer
2004 1 ton chevy diesel dual wheels. 95000 miles all with 1161 Lance camper. Had to replace the transfer case at about 50000 miles, runs great plenty of power rides beautiful.
Phancy

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
Ours just turned 60,000 km (37,000 miles) this week end. Bought it used in 2006. I changed out the engine mounted fuel pump for an AirDog AD-100, put on Michelin tires and have done the usual changing of fluids once here at home. Removed the check ball in the transmission line (Thanks TDR) and called it a day. Excellent truck to drive with the camper. Average right at 17 CDN mpg (14 US mpg). Love the torque and being two wheel drive it has rack and pinion steering which is faultless.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.

Trail_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
1996 Dodge 12v, p-pump, 2 wd, Cummins. Approximately 243,000 miles. Ordered it brand new early 1996. Just completed a top end rebuild,
- re-man head from Cummins (boy is this thing heavy!)
- 60# over stock springs
- A1 studs
- More air and fuel
- Synthetic lube in sump, tranny, and rear end
Last year I installed a complete Moog front end. Truck easily gets over 23 mpg at highway speeds, 17 mpg with camper.
This truck should easily outlive me. I don't hesitate to drive it anywhere, with or without load. I really like this truck, fits me perfectly. It's also a great platform for crazy horsepower and torque!!

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Truck in sig just passed 146,000 miles. Almost all those miles have been working hard. It's pulling the 5er right now. It is a great truck, no squeeks or rattles and everything still tight. Many of those miles have been on bad roads including the Dalton in Alaska.

Other than routine maintenance I have replaced the following:
Right rear disk rotor
front and rear brake pads
front U-joints
leaky coolant hose behind the turbo
Shocks
batteries
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I special ordered my ’99 new and used it as my every day truck for several years. Now it’s parked in the garage most of the time with the camper on it with only 77k on the clock. My drive to work for the last several years is less than four miles and that’s not enough to warm up the Cummins.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Yall make us feel so ashamed, 55,xxx on our 2006. The last 2 weeks we have added about 2k. Good thing to know it will probably outlive us...we sure love our truck though. Go dodge!!!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge 3500 2004.5 CTD 4x4 100,000 miles.

New water pump, new fuel lift pump, new belt, new belt tensioner,

brake rotors twice, numerous pads, one wheel bearing, all driveshaft

universal joints and carrier bearing, pinion seal, front end universal

joints, front end ball joints, front end sway bar links and installed

front end steering stabilizer to eliminate wander due to power steering flexing the frame.

As far as the engine you sort of forget about it, change oil and filters (all easy to reach), in fact you can see the whole engine sitting in there not all covered with tin foil etc...

I once took it to our heavy truck center and asked them to adjust the valves, they just laughed at me...
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram CTD with 90,200. So far I have replaced the Turbo Speed Sensor.

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
MrPhelps,

I can't think of my 2006 Dodge Cummins as old,,,,,,,,yet I only have less than 59,000 miles on it. I hope it runs forever as I say this is the last one I will own. I bought it new in October of 2006 and drive it everyday to work (20 miles round trip) with a few long camping trips hear and there. So far it has been a great truck. I am glad to hear others such as yourself are getting good life out of the engine.
Happy TC'N,
David

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a CTD, that's barely half way :p. My '92 is at at 196,133 on it's original TBI V8 gas motor ;).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL