cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are LED Marker Lights Better Than Incandescent Markers?

truckcamperonmy
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 Arctic Fox came with LED markers…I think that may have been the first year their exterior lights were standard LED? Anyway, I just recently had one of the front Amber LED markers fail and a lens cover came off one of the two side amber LED markers that is still working. I swapped lenses to protect the working LED and I'm waiting for two fully sealed LED markers from etrailer.com to arrive that another TC'er recommended here on the forum. Clicky

I also have two failing LED markers on the rear of the camper…one dimmer than the other, but on their last legs.

This made me think, maybe incandescent marker lights are better? When they burn out (in theory more often than LED) all you have to do is pop off the lens and slam another cheap little bulb in. Spare bulbs take almost no room compared to a full LED replacement marker and bulbs are more readily available and cheaper. I haven't replaced the LED yet, but I'll have to unscrew it, rewire it, and re-caulk it…what a pain!

Anyone out there switch their LED markers over to incandescent? Sounds crazy, right?!?! I'm all for conserving batteries by using LED for all interior and outside entryway/awning lights (I've switched all mine over to LED, but maybe old school is the way to go for markers that are only on when the truck is running?) LED tail/stop/turn lights are much more visible than bulb-style. Although, one of my Bargman LED tail/stop/turn lights died too and I had to replace that too. Not the cheapest lights either.

Although I already made the plunge and bought the amber marker LED lights, I haven't pulled the trigger on the red marker light replacements. What would you do…replace burned out markers with LED or incandescent?
2000 Ford F-350 Dually 7.3 Diesel Super Duty Crew Cab with Air Bags
2011 Arctic Fox 992
28 REPLIES 28

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Hm never seen an LED marker light that had a removeable lense, most are sealed? Except where an led bulb is installed in incandesant fixture. Be really curious to see picture of that-more so the 'dimming' bulb arrangment. Unless as noted fixture has multiple LEDs and a few have stopped working the only other way it could 'dim' is a serious reduction or restriction in power or ground?

I like the appearance of LEDs & generally about 1/4 current draw but I'd be hard pressed to change out all 14 of my marker lights w/ 194 bulb which might draw 7 amps. While less likely to allow water intrusion, be nice at least on nose, LEDs still have wires & screws passing thru skin so its not an install & forget. Especially if converting over older lights, like mine, that have a prexisting 1" hole in camper skin. They arent the cure all to fix all IMO. Nice but still need to inspect/recaulk as primary water intrusion I dont think is from behind the lense.

All that said when I change or add lights they are LEDs-mostly due to I simply like them. I have a brand new set of LED cab lights waiting to replace failing/leaking LED cab lights.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
To be clear, LED doesn't mean no leaks and also doesn't mean last forever. If you want validation, go visit boat forums where leds have been on trailers for a long time.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
The lens on a regular clearance light is not sealed and can leak. LED's are sealed .....

Very broad statement about non LED lights. All the clearance lights on my boat trailer are non LED, sealed lights. The original poster said he has non sealed LED lights now. Hence, my statement above about having a sealed light regardless of the light source.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I can't see the point of replacing the marker lights. I don't know if they are brighter, but it's hard for me to believe that people can see the markers without seeing my TC.

Obviously, bulbs of any type can fail and I'd rather have similar parts readily available. BTW, there is a similar kind of argument for LED boat lights. Each failure is way more expensive to fix. If you are starting from scratch, it might make sense to replace fixtures, but even then it is questionable if you make any significant improvements.

Just changing a bulb to LED for the markers just seems like expensive exercise, but hey, everyone needs hobbies. 🙂

You're missing the most important point. Many RV's have had serious and expensive damage due to water intrusion. The lens on a regular clearance light is not sealed and can leak. LED's are sealed and when installed properly, may prevent delamination or other water damage. That's the only reason I'm replacing mine.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't see the point of replacing the marker lights. I don't know if they are brighter, but it's hard for me to believe that people can see the markers without seeing my TC.

Obviously, bulbs of any type can fail and I'd rather have similar parts readily available. BTW, there is a similar kind of argument for LED boat lights. Each failure is way more expensive to fix. If you are starting from scratch, it might make sense to replace fixtures, but even then it is questionable if you make any significant improvements.

Just changing a bulb to LED for the markers just seems like expensive exercise, but hey, everyone needs hobbies. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

PFitt
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all my marker lights with those, much brighter all sealed units, will last forever. also replaced tail with these , you'll love them.http://commandelectronics.com/product/surface-mount-led-tail-lights-upgrade-kits/

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
In the OP's case, I would think that having removable lenses is a path to failure regardless of what the light source is. Buying a sealed light and applying some moe sealant at installaion would likely provide the longevity.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Drippin
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has the standard Bargman #59 clearance lights. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with their LED upgrade kit. It retains the same base and the sealed LED board/reflector/lens assembly just plugs in. No failures in 4 years. The nice thing about this is that the light base is intact and if you do need to change a light it just snaps in place.

I do think they are brighter than the original incandescents.
2008 Laredo 284BHS, 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 6.7CTD, Equal-i-zer, P3, Subaru RG4300iS :B

Wagonqueen_Truc
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced all of my marker lights on my 76 Amerigo TC last week. Wow... What a difference. They are sharp, bright and (hopefully) energy efficient.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
I would never go back. The advantages of led are just to great.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The reason for the most of us going to LED lights was to save trailer battery power when camping off the power grid.

The MARKER lights are all powered by the truck start battery system so there is no real power saving for the camping part.

The LED lights probably put off the best lights if you buy the right one. I notice almost all big truck lighting are LEDs now...

Regulated type LEDs will emit RFI signals that may interfere with your home entertainment items... I know my Ham Radio picks up noise pretty good when I pull up behind a tractor trailer truck which I suspect is coming from their LED lights...

The only way the LED lights start getting dim is burning out some of the individual LED strip lights inside. This is probably due to cheap LED lights are being used or not rated high enough for the varying DC voltages associated with the truck charging system. Regulated LED assemblies that operate from 7-20VDC would most likely solve that problem. High Vibrations should not be a problem with LED fixtures. Poor weather seal however is probably a big problem.

Just some of my thoughts here
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
My AF 1140 came thru with regular incandescents. They were the typical cheap ones with the removable cover. One of the first things I did was replace all of them with sealed LEDs from www.ledtrailerlights.com. Two of the incandescents already had water inside the covers when I removed them, and the TC was about 2 months old. Once enough water builds up inside the light, guess where it goes? Did you ever see the big wire access hole that is behind each light on an AF? Sealed LEDS cant leak as long as you have them installed properly and caulked well. Im going on 4 years now with the same LEDs and never had one go out. I think a lot depends on the quality of the light.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a 2011 camper his LED longevity does not sound very good. Let's see... 10 incandescents at 1A each is going tax your charging system.:h Not sure LED equals more lumens.
My marker lights are 10 years old and I have not replaced or cleaned any of them... guess I'm really lucky. Sounds like the biggest advantage of LED is if you forget to turn them off your battery will still start your truck in the morning.:S
OP, is your wiring heavy enough to go back to incandescent although I doubt they changed it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Well lets see :h...Incandascent lighting, Cheaper, Less space for spares, Easier to replace however Lower lumens prone to corrosion...
LED lighting, A little pricey, depends on where you shop and manufacturer, Lower amperage draw,will not tax your charging system, Higher lumens, however requires more space for spares yet longevity is considerable however replacement is more intensive than incandescent.
Also you have to consider the replacemnet bulbs that came onto the market and consider the reflective properties of each. The incandescent requires a specific type of reflector whereas the LED is a projection light which does not allow the full use of a reflector in an incandescent housing.
In summary...Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages so the question comes down to which do you want.

Good Luck