cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning mildew

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at our awning that has a little mildew. Someone at a campground told me that he uses a 50% mixture of Simple Green in a spray bottle. He then roles the awning up for 30 minutes. After that, he will open his awning and sprays it with a hose. Anyone ever try this? Do you have a better idea?
18 REPLIES 18

Jframpey
Explorer
Explorer
Once clean I allow mine to dry thoroughly and then lightly sprinkle Gold Bond medicated powder before rolling up. I even sprinkle some on a brush and wipe the underside.

The Gold Bond has zinc oxide in the mix - it is a great mildewcide... Used for years in paint to control mildew. I apply a new dusting before storing the trailer after each trip.

I actually buy the cheap medicated powder at Walmart - just make sure that it contains zinc oxide.

No more mildew!

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
Simple Green had 2-butoxyethanol (EGBE) at ~4% or less until last year. As of right now, it's pretty safe to use though.

Do you guys have to put a lot of elbow grease into scrubbing mildew off when using Simple Green? Does it stay off pretty good or does it return pretty fast?
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Any decent degreaser should work. I have used Simple Green (straight) and Awesome as well as awning cleaner. Spray some on, roll the awning up for an hour, unroll, and scrub it off.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Broccolli
Explorer
Explorer
I use simple green on my awning (the one purple/blue bottle clearly labeled for rv use) I spray the hose on my mildew then spray the simple green rv cleaner and gently scrub with a car wash brush when the awning is lowered, I did both sides of awning and the entire outside in 6 foot sections and couldn't believe the amount of "dirt" that came off

The underside of awning - I got soaked

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Tilex here too. Just don't let it on too long. I spray and hit it with my long handled soft trailer brush, then rinse. Looks like new!
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Probably because it contains sodium hydroxide, better known as lye. It is a caustic.

It only contains between .1% and 1% sodium hydroxide. That said, it can damage human skin with contact - I'd be careful with that stuff on my camper's paint job!
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
djousma wrote:
I use tilex. Its the bleach that does the trick. Spray it on both top and underside, and roll it up for an hour or so. Unroll it, scrub the few stained spots, and hose it off. Looks as good as new.

Same here.
For some reason Tilex Mold and Mildew does a better job at getting stains off the awning than any other similar product - and I've used just about all of them.
The Tilex even removed stains that were years old that other bleach products couldn't.
Probably because it contains sodium hydroxide, better known as lye. It is a caustic.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
prfssr wrote:
I use "awesome" from the Dollar Tree. You can get it in normal strength or you can buy the straight stuff and mix it yourself. I have both so I can use something stronger if needed. This stuff is, well - awesome.

It will also take the paint off a trailer's aluminum siding Ask m how I know.:E
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
OP must have read my mind. I logged on to see how to get rid of Mildew on my awning and it was the first thread on the travel trailer section.

I have product that I used on my boat seats called DEP. It worked miracles on there but I didn't know if there was anything special to use for the awnings. I guess I will give it a try and see how it works.
2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x 6 speed manual. (Future TOAD?)
2014 Shadow Cruiser 313 BHS (Sold)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
djousma wrote:
I use tilex. Its the bleach that does the trick. Spray it on both top and underside, and roll it up for an hour or so. Unroll it, scrub the few stained spots, and hose it off. Looks as good as new.

Same here.
For some reason Tilex Mold and Mildew does a better job at getting stains off the awning than any other similar product - and I've used just about all of them.
The Tilex even removed stains that were years old that other bleach products couldn't.

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I think just about any detergent based concoction will work. Add a little bleach to attack the mildew. But here's an additional suggestion: I tried using a spong mop to scrub the underside, but the mop was heavy and a little awkward to use. Furthermore the cleaning solution ran down the mop handle and got all over me. I tried using a swiffer mop and it worked great. I used one of the wet pads but it dried out quickly so I just kept dipping it in my detergent/bleach solution and continued cleaning. The mop is very light weight, it stays in contact with the awning because of its gimbal design, and it didn't hold enough solution to drip.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

prfssr
Explorer
Explorer
I use "awesome" from the Dollar Tree. You can get it in normal strength or you can buy the straight stuff and mix it yourself. I have both so I can use something stronger if needed. This stuff is, well - awesome. :B

I soak the awning with a liberal amount that I spray on and then roll her up, 15-30 minutes later a little scrubbing may be necessary and then rinse and good to go.