cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best tuner for towing "09 Dodge 2500 diesel

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best tuner for towing 5th wheel with stock Dodge diesel .
toolmaker
12 REPLIES 12

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
Get a tuner so you can delete the emissions ****. Only if you don't need regular emissions testing. The DPF and 2 cats are killing your engine and fuel economy. I went from 13 mpg to 19 running to stock tune. I don't tow on the non stock tune- don't think the Trans could handle it. I wouldn't get a tuner without doing the delete.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gkainz wrote:
My Cummins performance guy recommends EFI-Live. The '07 I bought had a Bully Dog Triple Dog Power Pup (dang, that's a mouthful!) in it when I bought it, and so far, I've not seen any glaring reason to upgrade ... yet, that is! I'm sure the itch is coming soon enough. ๐Ÿ™‚

Have had the same on my 07 since new. Truck came with it.
It ain't a Smarty or EFI, but it'll black out an intersection and then SCOOT!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
N-Trouble wrote:
Go to a Cummins forum for recommendations. To many old timers here...

Lol. "You'll shoot yer eye out sonny!"
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sinbadman5024
Explorer
Explorer
I have run a tuner on a stock transmission for a long time, no issues. That is because I don't turn it up to 5 and drive the **** out of it. Transmissions break because people crank up the tuner to levels it can't handle. They also take out engines because they over fuel and eat a piston. I have the Edge Juice w/attitude and the CS screen. I run it on 2 settings, 1 (mileage) and 2 (tow). I gained mileage empty and towing. Still on the stock transmission at 165k. EFI Live is very good and gives you multiple settings programmed for your truck. I like the Edge because it has the gauges on the screen. Another that the Cummins Forum people like is the Smarty tuners. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Shane, Ann, and Sebastian
2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"
2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34 QRL

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
My Cummins performance guy recommends EFI-Live. The '07 I bought had a Bully Dog Triple Dog Power Pup (dang, that's a mouthful!) in it when I bought it, and so far, I've not seen any glaring reason to upgrade ... yet, that is! I'm sure the itch is coming soon enough. ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
No recommendations for tuners but before you tune it I would suggest having money on hand for the tranny work that will follow. Those motors are detuned to protect the weakest link in the drive train.

I have spent a lot of time on the Cummins forum. It seems to me that tuning the truck often leads to larger repair bills. Then the people are mad and blame Ram when they choose to take the vehicle outside the Ram design parameters with high HP tuners. The higher the HP gain, the more at risk. Good luck. Keith

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for EFI-Live.
My '05 is one year short of being capable of custom tuning via EFI-Live.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
No recommendations for tuners but before you tune it I would suggest having money on hand for the tranny work that will follow. Those motors are detuned to protect the weakest link in the drive train.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I remember a while ago you were asking about Dodge trucks of that vintage, I have an '08. I take it you bought an '09?

Kevin

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a Cummins forum for recommendations. To many old timers here...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

6_6_Oilburner
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
IF .....big IF.......you need a tuner with that 09 to tow then trailer is too big/heavy and you are towing overweight/beyond ratings.

Needs and wants are 2 different things. I tend to miss my compound turbo Duramax, but I get by with the newer truck and less horsepower.

For the OP, EFI live tuning via a reputable tuner is always the best "safest" (I used the term loosely) was to turn up the power. I would recommend an Autocal from RidgeRunner Diesel Performance.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF .....big IF.......you need a tuner with that 09 to tow then trailer is too big/heavy and you are towing overweight/beyond ratings.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31