cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Water gauge always says full

mikehoss
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Jayco Jayfeather 254 last spring and it's really perfect for our needs. Lightly used, but in great shape.

We've had it out a few times and want to take it out for many more. But we quickly found out that the gauge on the black water tank always says it's full -- even when it's not. Yesterday, when we were leaving camp, I left the black water drain open for 5 minutes after I didn't hear or feel anything in my sewer hose, and then dumped the gray water. After I was done with the gray water, I decided to do the brave/stupid thing and opened my black water tank without the hose. Nothing came out (thankfully!).

Anyone have ideas why this would happen? The gray water gauge works fine.
29 REPLIES 29

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Yep u got it, mine worked great, before we used it, and a time or two after that. But I guess the technology ain't there yet .but for now it's all. Happy-camping

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
uzikaduzi wrote:
...an old timer told me to fill the black water tank 1/3 full before you use it because most people don't flush enough water when using the toilet and fill it up more before you dump it and his lights always read empty after dumping...

Not bad advice at all.
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0

uzikaduzi
Explorer
Explorer
I'm personally new to having the indicator lights myself... i used to work at a camp ground where we did "pump outs" for the non sewer sites... people would complain about their light still showing full but their tank was empty. there were some seasonal campers that had all sorts of contraptions to clean them out that they all raved about. i'm sure they all did what they were supposed to but an old timer told me to fill the black water tank 1/3 full before you use it because most people don't flush enough water when using the toilet and fill it up more before you dump it and his lights always read empty after dumping... not sure how this works long term but we've been doing it and we haven't had any issues

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Our normal camping trips are Thursday or Friday - Sunday mid day. Those times I just use the Odorlos. If we're going to be staying longer or happen to be traveling with anything in the tank, I add the enzyme to help break down the solids better. Just the short weekends doesn't seem like enough time for it to really do it's job...poor choice of words, sorry. I really haven't noticed any difference with odors either with or without the enzyme...just a matter of breaking down a larger volume of solids.

Some not-so-fond memories of stepping into the cabin of our boat after using the blue stuff and it sitting for a week or two in the summer heat. Not a nice welcome. I'd usually just add more blue stuff, which, to me, just made it smell like blue stuff. But, boating is different, there isn't a dump station on the way out. Finding a "pump out" is sometimes a challenge. I have no clue how large the tank was on the boat, but pumping out was not a frequent job. Thinking about it now, years later, that was actually a nasty job.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
If we're not dumping right away, I also add an enzyme to the mix. Agree that the black tank is not a septic system as such, but the solids should break down to more of a liquid and IMO you need something to assist in that process.

Just to confirm .... You use enzyme with the Odorlos and see a difference over Odorlos alone?

I ask ths because I have some enzyme stuff but from what I have read you need to clean out the tank of all chemicals and only use enzymes, so I am waiting for that day that never seems to come where my tanks are totally chemical free. Until that time the enzyme stuff is deadweight in my RV.

I agree that Odorlos works well, but I prefer if it had more deodorizer added. Nothing can beat the Thetford blue stuff in that regard.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Gave up on black tank sensors long ago. When I put in a new tank, didn't even put in the senors. But did put in a valve to the toilet water supply. So now, if I really need to know, I turn off the valve, open the flush and look down in the tank with a flash light. But usually we just know how long it takes to fill.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

mikehoss
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with pretty much what people said -- I need to learn to gauge my tanks. But I just got it so that's going to take me a while. And my sensor going out, seems to be a symptom of dirty black water tank. While I may never get the sensor working again, I should figure out how to clean the tank.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We recently picked up our new TT and just for the heck of it, checked the sensors. Showed the black tank full.....not likely on a new TT. We used the black tank flush for quite a while and it finally showed empty. Assume it had some speck of something on it from the manufacturing process. But, as noted, it's just part of the deal with an RV. Don't believe the sensors. Experience will teach you to just know about what your level really is.

I can tell you that, at least in our HTT, the grey tank backed up into the shower if it got over-full. I wondered why the kitchen sink was draining so slowly one morning and thought maybe some junk had gotten down there. So decided to get the bathroom cleaned and then finish the kitchen. I had about 1" of shower base before the grey tank overflowed all over. Another lesson learned.

I'm really thrifty with water in the kitchen and bathroom sinks, but very generous with water in the toilet. The more water, the less chances of clogs. Remember to add about 4 - 5 gallons of water after you dump to keep anything remaining from turning into concrete. Have to disagree on the idea of not using any black tank additive. We've used the blue stuff and mostly got the smell of the blue stuff.....used it on our boat for years, but at that time it was about all that was out there. We've tried several and am now using Odorlos and it does a fine job. In the flushing process, we have no odor and even when the fan is on, no odor. I am thinking that I may give the Geo Method a try when we run out of Odorlos just for the heck of it....lots of folks use it and swear by it. But the Odorlos is excellent. If we're not dumping right away, I also add an enzyme to the mix. Agree that the black tank is not a septic system as such, but the solids should break down to more of a liquid and IMO you need something to assist in that process.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
mikehoss wrote:
I figured I would get a lot of responses, but not like this. And this is why I love this forum. What I'm getting is that the non-working sensor is a symptom of a dirty black water tank.
My plan is:
* get a Camco RhinoFLEX RV Sewer Hose Kit, probably 15'. It has a clear end, and our trip to a music festival taught us the value of having a longer one than then the one we have now.
* get a wand and clean the tank with that. I can't dump that at home, but it will loosen it up a lot. The sensor may actually work after that!
* on our next outing (this weekend or two weeks from now) do a Geo Method of water softner and laundry detergent and will fill that take up with water and drive around the park a bit before dumping.

Thanks for the help!

Mike - as one who has replaced sensors for the improved Horst Miracle Probes, my opinion is that you replace the sensors with the Horst probes, then do all of the above.

What you appear to have is "permanent" crud on your poorly designed button sensors, and even if you manage to get them reading okay at first, the problem will return, that you can bet on. You might as well change out the sensors for a better design at the outset. Here is a write up I made on my change.

And yes you do have to clean out the tanks periodically. I typically use my Valterra Hydroflush to back flush the tanks a few times when on full hookups. Ths can easily be done while breaking camp so that it takes no extra time.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Just look at the one for black water as a liar.
We have found that if we tap ours several times in a row it is more likely to work.

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
Every politician's RV always shows the black tank at full for some reason.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Don't waste too much time on it cause people have tried for a long time using everything just shy of witch craft to remedy this problem and all have failed. You will soon be able to mentally gauge how full it is and if not just watch for the burp. Warning if you flush while sitting you will definitly know when it burps lol lol
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, they should just come with one light, Full. A couple years of mucky stuff and the grey will never show empty.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
Don't forget to add a chemical treatment every time just before you use the black tank again. The packet type is convenient.

This is misleading. You DON'T need to add ANY chemicals to your black tank....you'd just be flushing your money away. The black tank is just a temporary holding device...not a septic tank. For the small amount of time the tank is "occupied" chemicals will not prove to be effective.

Most black tank chemicals are just deodorants that try (mostly ineffectively, I might add) to mask the odor. If you smell an odor from your tank, it means you have a problem and some seal or vent is not operating correctly. They only time you should smell your black tank is when either the toilet is being flushed, or the end of your stinky slinky is not firmly attached to the septic tank opening.

Don't waste your $$ on chemicals...

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....