cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Rhino propane tanks

bluearc
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using these in their campers for heating etc. or are they for grilling only.
30 REPLIES 30

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
And 3/4 of them don't work right, ALWAYS use the 10%/bleeder valve.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Containers since time immemorial have been rated by their raw/absolute capacity, not by what is "legal" to put in them. Propane cylinders are no different. It's a marketing thing, designed to confuse and distract, but it is a fact of life.

A 20lb propane tank is a 4.7 gallon container. If you put 20lbs of propane at 4.11lbs per gallon, in it it would be full to the brim.

People who cry foul because a 20lb cylinder does not actually have 20lbs of propane in it really need to educate themselves.

Sure if you can fool the OPD, you can get pretty close to 20lbs in but it is illegal to do so.

The problem is fooling that OPD. When I take my empty tanks in to fill, I always watch the meter. Those guys could give a******about legal and just fill until the OPD shuts off. The OPD trips and stops taking propane at just a little over 4 gallons each time.

Here are the true facts.

A 20 pound cylinder holds 20 pounds of LP when filled to the 80% level. It still has a 20% expansion space due to the installation of a drip tube inside the cylinder. The same holds true for a 30 pound cylinder. You can add 30 pounds of LP when the cylinder is empty. It is perfectly safe, legal and designed that way. The OPD is designed to prevent overfilling. That is why it is called an overfill protection device.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
God I love this place. I got rid of my out of Hydro old propane tanks for a couple of "new" Blue Rhinos. Once emptied they will get refilled at the local "Full Fill" place.

Ain't recycling grand!!
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

A 20lb propane tank is a 4.7 gallon container. If you put 20lbs of propane at 4.11lbs per gallon, in it it would be full to the brim.

Watching the meter, I don't think I've EVER seen a tank accept more than 4.5 gallons before the valve starts to blow off gas. Most times the screw gets turned at 4.25 to 4.5. This is why I always take a couple tanks to the place near my house with the 5 gallon minimum charge. So, I'm pretty much in agreement with what you said.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
"People who cry foul because a 20lb cylinder does not actually have 20lbs of propane in it really need to educate themselves."

The capacity of a 20lb cylinder is greater than 4.7 gallon. A typical 20lb cylinder has water capacity of 47.8lbs (stamped into the collar). The cylinder empty is 17.8lbs. Adding 20lbs of propane to the empty weight makes it 37.8lbs. or about 78% of the total capacity

Reference 1

Fill Procedures

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Containers since time immemorial have been rated by their raw/absolute capacity, not by what is "legal" to put in them. Propane cylinders are no different. It's a marketing thing, designed to confuse and distract, but it is a fact of life.

People who cry foul because a 20lb cylinder does not actually have 20lbs of propane in it really need to educate themselves.

Sure if you can fool the OPD, you can get pretty close to 20lbs in but it is illegal to do so.

The problem is fooling that OPD. When I take my empty tanks in to fill, I always watch the meter. Those guys could give a******about legal and just fill until the OPD shuts off. The OPD trips and stops taking propane at just a little over 4 gallons each time.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bubtoofat wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
I've also used them to replace tanks that the attendant says is too old (date stamp) for mine to be refilled.

Hmmm......sounds kind of unethical.

I asked the store manager about that and was told that they didn't care. They "take anything".
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Both Blue Rino & amerigas exchange are light. It's a conveint thing if nessary.I never do but in a pinch, would. I use to work for Amerigas and have seen brand new tanks traded for exchanged tanks from people that bought a new bar-b-que and were to lazy to go fill so they traded at the store.I've also seen very old valve tanks exchanged all rusty and such. Good way to get a current tank if you got old ones laying around. I only have about 20 5gal. bottles that are all current, I know people in the bussiness, that helps keep them current, ha, ha.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

Bedlam
I keep extra cylinders filled in my trailer or at home. It allows me to shop for refills when convenient and cheap rather than having to exchange while camping when you cannot find refills. I have 30# cylinders in the TC but most spares are 20# (20's fit in the same space as long as I put 4" block underneath). When the certification date gets close, I do a cylinder exchange like others.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
It's a convenience factor. I have one that i keep but just refill it myself most of the time. But, it's nice knowing that if I need gas and can't find a refill station, one of the exchange stores is an option.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
If your tanks are horizontal mounted the standard 20lb tanks will not work due to the position of the pickup tube. A full 20lb "grill" tank would put liquid LP into the line creating a dangerous condition. The regulators are only designed for vapor.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:

A legal "full" fill is only 16lbs anyway, so you're only being "shorted" 1lb of propane, which IMHO is a fair price for convenience.

A legal full fill is 20 lbs. and that is at 80% capacity leaving 20% for expansion.

You get shorted 5lbs on these exchange tanks.
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Bubtoofat wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
I've also used them to replace tanks that the attendant says is too old (date stamp) for mine to be refilled.

Hmmm......sounds kind of unethical.

Not unethical at all. Look at their website. They brag about how many tanks they've saved from landfills. They talk about how each traded in tank is inspected and upgraded as necessary. It's their business model to take your old tank from you.
If they didn't want an old one then they wouldn't accept them in trade. The date is stamped right on there. It wouldn't be hard to turn away the out of date ones but they don't.

Gruffy
Explorer
Explorer
I have all "Blue Wineo" tanks now. If I'm stuck I do a swap, otherwise re-fill at CostCo .... when tanks time expire I do a swap for a newer tank ... swap costs about $20 at Walmart but hit a sale at Ace and swapped for $10.

Shop around.