cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bugs in TT when not in use?

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
When you're not using your TT do you put bug poison or roach bait in the TT? I'm curious to know how others are handling this situation.
14 REPLIES 14

Explorer II
Explorer II
MorMJS wrote:
westend wrote:
MorMJS,
Sewer flies resemble fruit flies. Were you recently connected to sewer hookups and had the tank valve open? The only cure I've read about is to spray bug killer into the black tank. I've never had this, or any other bug issue and not so sure I'd use gobs of bug killer into my RV. A mechanical cure with fans and open windows might eliminate most problems. Then again, it will be subzero here in a little bit and there are very few pests that make it through that.

I leave my sewer valve closed unless I'm actually draining. I even tried leaving toilet valve open to see if they were coming out of there and none came out from there.
I have had sewer fly's in my gray tank coming in though my shower drain. I would pour water into the shower and sink drains every few days to keep it full in order to seal them out. After a few weeks they were all dead I guess. The problem was solved.

Now I always run some water in all drains every few weeks just to keep them sealed and wet.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Bzeitham
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we had problems with insects on our sailboat. We set off insecticide foggers, available at most hardware stores, in the cabin and that took care of the problem. BUT make sure you have ALL appliances turned OFF! Another product that you might consider for storage is a product called SunPack. It keeps mold and mildew at bay. Not sure it is sold up north but is very common here in Florida.

shenandoahvalle
Explorer
Explorer
I've had problems with stink bugs getting in the TT. There is a cure on the internet that doesn't use poison that works well...plastic pan of water with a light under it...they get in a drown.

MorMJS
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
MorMJS,
Sewer flies resemble fruit flies. Were you recently connected to sewer hookups and had the tank valve open? The only cure I've read about is to spray bug killer into the black tank. I've never had this, or any other bug issue and not so sure I'd use gobs of bug killer into my RV. A mechanical cure with fans and open windows might eliminate most problems. Then again, it will be subzero here in a little bit and there are very few pests that make it through that.

I leave my sewer valve closed unless I'm actually draining. I even tried leaving toilet valve open to see if they were coming out of there and none came out from there.
TV- 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 6.7L CTD, 2" lift on 35x12.5" Toyo MTs, S&B CAI
New TT 2016 Keystone Bullet 272BHSWE Fastaway E2 WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller
Old TT- 2014 Rockwood MiniLite 2502s

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MorMJS,
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MorMJS
Explorer
Explorer
So I just picked up my TT yesterday to get it ready for a trip and I now have an infestation of flies. These little bastards are everywhere!! they even managed to get between the 2 panes of glass on the microwave door!!
I have searched the trailer top to bottom and cannot find any food that may have been left from last trip, but these look to be fruit flies.
Im not sure how to get rid of these.
TV- 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 6.7L CTD, 2" lift on 35x12.5" Toyo MTs, S&B CAI
New TT 2016 Keystone Bullet 272BHSWE Fastaway E2 WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ brake controller
Old TT- 2014 Rockwood MiniLite 2502s

BStrummin
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

1. Vinegar and coconut oil in a spray bottle and sprayed around the ceilings, walls and around all sinks to keep the spiders out and from breeding. Makes your RV smell nice also.

Huh. I've never heard of this one. Thanks!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I did to eliminate ALL of the bug and critter problems when storing the RV for the winter.

1. Vinegar and coconut oil in a spray bottle and sprayed around the ceilings, walls and around all sinks to keep the spiders out and from breeding. Makes your RV smell nice also.

2. Go underneath your RV at night with the lights on inside. Plug all the holes where the light comes thru to keep ALL critters big and small from getting inside. You 'will' be shocked how many holes you will find!

3. Go to any farm supply store or Tractor Supply and pick up a couple of rigid 'Starbar Fly Stik' fly sticks and hang them in your RV. I use the removable 3m hooks and hang 4 of them from the ceiling from front to back. These are the bomb for attracting/getting rid of fly's and many other type bugs.
http://www.horse.com/item/starbar-fly-stik/SLT300094/
http://www.statelinetack.com/item/starbar-fly-stik/SLT300094/

Come spring you won't have mice, spiders, bugs or anything flying, crawling in your RV to clean up. Just take down the strips and go RV'ing! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just place a citronella candle in the camper and shut the door. Do not light it, just let it sit there. You'll have no bugs. We keep one in the front and one in the rear of the camper. Never had bugs of any kind. It works well in the summer to when camping. No fire, just the candle.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Our invasion was lady bugs. Everywhere you turned...more. They seemed to love the large rear window where it was warm and you could see through the day shades to all these little critters. We'd gather up a handful and toss them out the door. Went on for weeks and I THINK we've finally got it under control....haven't seen any for about 6 weeks. Hadn't thought about asking our bug guy how much extra to spray the trailer....he's a long-time friend and I'd bet the answer is $0. I can afford that! For winter, we've always done the fabric softener sheet thing....according to some it works great, according to others it's a waste of time. In any event, we've never had mice or other critters and the trailer does smell wonderful. For a couple of dollars, we'll do it again for whatever reason.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I had a problem with Argentine ants, an infestation I think I picked up in Las Vegas a couple years ago. After fighting 'em for a while with ant bait traps that didn't help at all, I decided to try diatomaceous earth (food grade). The basement, the area under the water heater, furnace, fridge, and plumbing all got a thorough cleaning and re-dusting with the diatomaceous earth, and I haven't had ants since.

Stink bugs, on the other hand . . . . (they are immune to everything).

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
Never had an issue until after a trip earlier this summer. A couple weeks after that trip, I went into the TT and found about a 100 dead flies. I can only guess that a couple got in there during the trip and managed to multiply once the TT was parked next to our house. It took hours to get all those dead flies out of the camper. Yuck.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. No idea where they came from. They were pretty big, too.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Never had an issue until after a trip earlier this summer. A couple weeks after that trip, I went into the TT and found about a 100 dead flies. I can only guess that a couple got in there during the trip and managed to multiply once the TT was parked next to our house. It took hours to get all those dead flies out of the camper. Yuck.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
We have the pest control company that takes care of the house also take care of the RV at no additional charge. No bugs in camper.