Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying used.... Considerations

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Buying used. Just be very aware.......
What precipitated this post was a statement that when buying a used camper at a good (read low) price, what your doing is your buying the appliances...., and getting the camper for free. (Paraphrased, another thread/topic). I bought used last summer, at what I thought was a "fair" price. Everything worked. I was happy....
As fate would have it, I just replaced both the refrigerator $$$ and water heater $$ in my 1 owner previously owned, litely used, 98 Northern Lite, and this is right before I'm heading south (TX) for six weeks. Not the most convenient time.
The camper had the original Dometic 6 cf. 3 way frig. It functioned for us from last summer till a couple weeks ago. Yes, they (tech) coulda replaced the "guts" (lost refrigerant, indications of more problems), but, if the controller board then went out (which can/does happen) we would have had a new frig price into an old frig with no warranty.
The water heater functioned fine when new to us, but it was on its last legs (lotta rust on tank, especially at fittings), and not worth the hassle to keep it going, so bit the bullet and installed a new Atwood tankless.
Furnace is looking good....for now.
I still have significantly less than half of a new Northern lite into it, so, I'm ok. But it went from a pretty good deal, to "not so great" rather fast!

Just be aware, RV appliances are spendy items, and do NOT last indefinitely.
I was just in the Seattle area at an RV dealer's repair shop with a friend, and $130/hour was the posted shop rate. That rate is to install those expensive new appliances. I'm rural, so not quite that bad a shop rate, but still significant.

NOT trying to discourage anyone from buying used. Just realize that the purchase price can be only a part of the expense of getting, and keeping, a functioning camper/RV.
Some purchasers have been very fortunate with their purchases holding up mechanically. Good for them.....but don't DEPEND on it
24 REPLIES 24

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
bought used. 2008 Lance 1055 in 2010 List was 38, paid 20. with the exception of user caused external damage {DW rubbed up against a tree) that I was able to repair for a couple of $100. All I have replaced was a sink fixture and a refridgerator thermister and the vent hatch covers. I use the heck out of my rig close to 100 days every year. First thing I did upon purchase was to redo every seam with dicor and I redo them yearly.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 1997 Lance, after looking at a ton of campers. It was a good deal $ wise. I am kind of in the same boat except I think I got the shorter end of the stick. All of our appliances are working, and I hope they continue to work, but my big mistake was not finding water damage when I first looked at the camper at the previous owners home. I missed a leak and rotted wood around the bathroom vent. I have repaired the damage, didn't cost all that much and the time to make the repairs wasn't a big deal. However the damage was there and I believe that the previous owner knew about it. I know, buyer beware. All in all I am glad I got the camper. I think it will work out fine.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:

Interesting. I always thought it was the other way around, much like buying a house. Pay for structure and soundness, plan on upgrading the aesthetics and appliances.

I agree. There are always work-arounds. My camper cost $1000. The shell and vinyl are in very good shape. The previous owner had cut the gas line (?), so there was no testing the gas-using appliances. After I got the camper home, I discovered the 20-yr old fridge didn't work on 12v or 120v. Since I hate furnaces anyway (they wake me up at night) - I decided to gut the entire gas system. I now have considerably more storage area....LOL! my stove is an electric hot plate, and heat comes from an electric heater. A "dorm fridge" would fit in the space of the old one, but for the moment, we just use a good cooler.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
The OP's situation bears out his experiences. Others who buy a used unit and end up spending a bunch of money fixing structural issues would likely have a different opinion. Fact of the matter is, you have to be willing to accept the risk of costly repair or replacement in return for the savings gained when buying used. Even if everything in the unit is tip-top at time of purchase, all the parts and pieces already have a life history and thus less usable time left. Even if the unit was bought new, unused, and stored in a barn it wouldn't be "new" as disuse can cause issues as well. It's just a matter of how lightly or hard they've been used and how long it'll be before repair or replacement is needed.

When we bought our camper, we bought new but were still taking a chance. In our case the appliances came with a warranty but the rest of the structure did not as the camper manufacturer had gone out of business. It was a gamble but Bigfoot had a good reputation and we were willing and able to accept the risk. There have been a few minor structural issues that would've been addressed under warranty but luckily nothing that we couldn't either put up with or handle ourselves.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
FreebirdFlies wrote:
What precipitated this post was a statement that when buying a used camper at a good (read low) price, what your doing is your buying the appliances...., and getting the camper for free. (Paraphrased, another thread/topic).

I would be thinking completely the opposite when buying a used Northern-Lite.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
When buying used you should never spend more money than you'd be willing to stack on a pile and light on fire.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
"What precipitated this post was a statement that when buying a used camper at a good (read low) price, what your doing is your buying the appliances...., and getting the camper for free. "

Interesting. I always thought it was the other way around, much like buying a house. Pay for structure and soundness, plan on upgrading the aesthetics and appliances.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Average life expectancy of a compact fridge is something like 4 years (...average...., full size 9-13yrs)

Wow - I must be the guy pushing up the averages.

Fridge on my first house lasted > 20 years and still going
Fridge on my present house > 20 years and tossed when we re-modeled

All appliances on the 2 TTs I have owned were still working perfectly after 10 years.

With labor rates of $130/hour - it's wise to learn how to replace/fix stuff yourself. I had an "issue" with my TT furnace this spring, RV dealer said they charge 1 hour labor minimum just to look at it before even giving me a quote to fix. I declined and after spending some time diagnosing the problem - it turned out to be slight corrosion on a spade connection.
Gerry

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:

Most of us see '98 as just the other day. But it wasn't.

I know exactly what you mean. :E

Buying used is a gamble. Buying new can be a gamble.
I'll still buy used, I think it's a better deal.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Average life expectancy of a compact fridge is something like 4 years (...average...., full size 9-13yrs). And that is for something sitting in a structure, not rolling down the road going bumpity bump.

You're right; don't count on it. But I propose that when buying used, one is buying the structure and a wish that the appliances last longer than usual.

Most of us see '98 as just the other day. But it wasn't.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!