cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California to Ban the Sale of New Gasoline Cars by 2035

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like the title says "California to ban the sales of new gasoline cars by 2035". I can see it now all those used cars being hauled to Mexico will now be hauled to California.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
65 REPLIES 65

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thermoguy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Think about the validity of that last statement and tell me it’s not just a sales pitch. That’s absolutely ridiculous and of zero benefit to the power company. Seriously.

In other threads, how many people say that the grid can't keep up with the demand, then when a solution to the problem of energy storage says they have a plan to use EV's to sell back to the grid when there is high energy demand, you say it's ridiculous? Really? Its brilliant.

Here's the link:

https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/electric-vehicles/these-ford-ev-truck-drivers-will-get-a-discou...

The group benefiting the most is the power distribution companies, like Duke Energy - buying low, selling high!!

It’s only “brilliant” if you’re challenged with doing basic math and comprehension of such things like:
When is peak demand and when are people with daily drivers not home or just got home from ( work , hauling the kids to soccer etc).
How much of your charge are you depleting and have to top up before morning.
How much power is each vehicle selling back.
How many Ford Lightning’s will there be in the next ___years in these states
How many will lease or whatever and go through all the hoops to do this.
How much real world gain for folks degrading their vechiles and essentially putting “miles” on the most expensive single component of a very expensive vehicle.
What is the total power consumption of the utility and what real world % will be returned. (Better be good at decimals of 1% to the __th power to even calculate the minuscule amount).

Bottom line it’s a laughable program that I’d bet money was heavily subsidized to promote sales.
Actually laughable is much too mild of a descriptor.
But it does make me realize how many people in this world are woefully gullible and how others are able to craft or take advantage of that.

PS, if you think this is a solution, as you put it, then I apologize for the above comment and want to officially say I was speaking of people hypothetically who are gullible.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
So these electric cars have a range of around 400 miles. I just drove 500 miles from Tucson to Newport Beach in 8 hours. How long would this same trip be in an electric car, considering the time to charge the battery? Would I have to spend the night somewhere enroute?

No. Add 20 minutes to 30 minutes for charging. And if you do that while you are using the facilities or grabbing a sandwich it takes no extra time.

We do 800 kilometre trips. Takes us the same amount of time it did in our Jeep Grand Cherokee. But we typically stop every few hundred kilometres to pee and grab a coffee or something to eat, and whenever we are stopped we are charging. If you are the type to do 800 kilometres at a shot then you should count on a 20 to 30 minute charge stop. Or longer depending on the car. Conditions etc.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Just glad I own 3 generators so at least my lights will be on.

Also feel bad for those that live in apartments or rent where charging ports will not be provided.

2034 will have record car sales I bet ??
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

blt2ski
azdryheat wrote:
So these electric cars have a range of around 400 miles. I just drove 500 miles from Tucson to Newport Beach in 8 hours. How long would this same trip be in an electric car, considering the time to charge the battery? Would I have to spend the night somewhere enroute?

Not sure where you're getting the 400 mile range ... I'll admit, depends on vehicles batter bank, like how big the fuel tank is. Older sisters BMW is around 175 Mile's in DC, another 75 or so Mile's using the her words, motor cycle engine to sorta kind recharge the batteries before running out of gas.

Then again, this particular vehicle may be designed for local use only, vs some having a longer range ability.

We're too soon IMHO to say electric has come into a real usable reality for most of us. BMW is working fantastic for sister. Me, it would be useless!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
azdryheat wrote:

There's about 1,234,567 threads about this already...

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Thermoguy wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Think about the validity of that last statement and tell me it’s not just a sales pitch. That’s absolutely ridiculous and of zero benefit to the power company. Seriously.

In other threads, how many people say that the grid can't keep up with the demand, then when a solution to the problem of energy storage says they have a plan to use EV's to sell back to the grid when there is high energy demand, you say it's ridiculous? Really? Its brilliant.

Here's the link:

https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/electric-vehicles/these-ford-ev-truck-drivers-will-get-a-discou...

The group benefiting the most is the power distribution companies, like Duke Energy - buying low, selling high!!

It’s a thirty year transition. Lots of time for utilities to adapt. That’s about 1 percent per year of added capacity. Those that don’t will just go out of business and new micro utilities will step up to the plate.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Here's the link:

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thermoguy wrote:
….In Portland, if your not riding your bike, you are killing the trees...
I guess the greenies in Portland flunked botany 101.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
About as dumb and unproductive as filling your car with gas at one station and driving down the road and siphoning the gas out and selling it back to a different station.
Think about it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently read where Portland OR will ban the sale of Diesel gas at all stations within the city limits by 2025. There is a push to change peoples attitude and driving habits. In Portland, if your not riding your bike, you are killing the trees...

I also read a promising story that a new battery technology is on the horizon with aluminum as its base - lighter, more power and faster charging vs Lithium, now to see if they can make it a reality.

I also read where Duke Energy is giving incentives for F150 Lightning owners a discount on their vehicle lease to sell power back to the grid during the day when power rates are higher. As mentioned before, EV's are the new power bank for the modern energy grid...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll wrote:
Just buy out of state.

More than likely the legislation will not allow you to register a gas car made after the 2035 model year in California.

They are already "banning" pre-emissions commercial trucks from what I've seen. A youtube channel I watch based in Idaho ended up buying a dump truck off a friend in California because it could not be registered there due to being too old and not meeting emissions requirements. They could not even drive it out of the state. It had to be loaded up and hauled by a "compliant" truck.

Seen a couple other similar examples of guys picking up oldish 10-wheelers, road tractors, etc. out of California because they weren't emissions compliant.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:
California banned common sense long ago.

This foolishness is expected to be the model for a national mandate dictated by the EPA sometime next year if the current mismanagement remains in place.

Two thumbs up from me!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS