cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed Trans Pan and Fan Belt

navy80to04
Explorer
Explorer
WOW, DID not know how hard it was, to chang out the fan belt. I have done it before on older 5.9 Dodge, But this 6.7. Not much Room. Glad I had the Thermo housing off putting in the 180 deg, That made it a little EZ for the Belt change, I put the HD belt on, Green looks neat.
I changed the two main Rad Hose's too. Had to cut the bottom clamp (eng side) in haft to get that hose off. Air tube and oil filter (did oil change too)had to come off too.
I have the heater hose's but they go into the fire wall and where the fittings are????? I am sure under the dash. Just makes it harder to change.
There are 3 Short hoses That are down and under exhaust side too. 2 are blue one black. did not change them. and there is one on top of the eng (1inch) it is new, when I took out the exhaust cooler.

THe Trans pan, I put a 5 gal oil pan under the trans and punch a hole in the trans pan and let it drain,. then did the other stuff then came back to it.
Changed the two filters. I replaced the OEM pan with a Alum pan that gave me 4 more quarts too. It took 8 quarts to fill it back up. I will be checking it again today when I drive it more.

The 4x4 trans case took 3 quarts. I used ATF+4 for all.
Greased everything that had a fitting.
Now set for the trip to Chattanooga TN.
Pulling 5th wheel there for a dog show (be there for a week).
If you stop by to chat, just look for the guy that has 5 woman and 20 dogs in the toy hauler RV. I will be the guy that is BBQ and drinking a lot.
2017 29H outlaw class C
loaded. Retired Navy
8 REPLIES 8

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
From the Chrysler Forum
coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F).

IMO the mention of distilled water is very important. No flushing with tap water. No mixing tap water with new coolent.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Your heater hose clamps are outside in the engine compartment, way back and very very hard to get to. That is why I let the dealership change the hoses and flush the system. The mechanic was not real happy when he got to the heater hoses LOL. There was a some kind of insulation that had to be removed to get to the clamps if I remember correctly.

From the Chrysler Forum
The cooling system is designed around the coolant. The coolant must accept heat from engine metal, in the cylinder head area near the exhaust valves and engine block. Then coolant carries the heat to the radiator where the tube/fin radiator can transfer the heat to the air.
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, and water pumps requires special corrosion protection. Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula MS-9769, or the equivalent ethylene glycol base coolant with hybrid organic corrosion inhibitors called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic Additive Technology is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% Ethylene Glycol and 50% distilled water to obtain a freeze point of -37°C (-35°F). If it loses color or becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with fresh properly mixed coolant solution.
The green coolant MUST NOT BE MIXED with the orange or magenta coolants. When replacing coolant the complete system flush must be performed before using the replacement coolant.
CAUTION: Mopar® Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (MS-9769) may not be mixed with any other type of antifreeze. Doing so will reduce the corrosion protection and may result in premature water pump seal failure. If non-HOAT coolant is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, it should be replaced with the specified coolant as soon as possible.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
What makes diesel burn is heat combined with compression.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt that diesels don't run efficiently when they are cold. 190-200 is ideal.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Just a note, installing a lower temp stat on the computer controlled Cummins may be disastrous. It will not do it any good to run cooler and will result in a mileage drop and very possibly, severe engine damage over the long run. The eng runs cleaner and far more efficiently with the stock stat.
Don't believe me? Do a Google search or better yet, call a Cummins repair center (not the dealer) for the whole story.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you have an exterior LCD where you can be sitting there, enjoying your beverage while watching "Best In Show"
I love me some land yachting

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
As difficult as it was at home, it would be way harder or more expensive on the side of the road. Good job.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
5 women and 20 dogs? So many things to say, but I'll stiffle my comments here in order to avoid irritating some of our female friends.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)