cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contemplating the 2017 Platinum F350

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got an opportunity to sell my 2016 Platinum for what I believe to be a very good price, especially reletive to what I paid for it. Then I look at what they want to go to a new one and I think I might just keep what I have. How much more would you be willing to pay for a new '17 Platinum vs a '16 Platinum with 30k miles?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
88 REPLIES 88

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
1jeep wrote:
its your money if you feel the need to be the jones' that your neighbors are trying to keep up with then do it.

Me I bought my 2016 knowing it would be with me for a while and also with the fact that it most likely has a lot of bugs worked out by now on this chassis.

good luck with your choice, but it sounds like you already made up your mind.

I think that was good reasoning for buying a 2016. I find it interesting that my posts come across as though I've made up my mind. I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do. I'm interested in how much value others see in the new style Ford. I can easily justify spending $4-$5000 per year on depreciation. I've had the truck for 1 1/2 years so $7500 for depreciation makes sense. Is there an additional $8500 in the new style truck?

To me, yes there is. Safety is way up due to the all-new frame and for my family that's always worth extra $ if I have it.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you driven the 2017, do you feel it is worth the extra $$? im not sure it would be worth it to me, even if I didn't love my wifes truck I still think I would wait a year.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
1jeep wrote:
its your money if you feel the need to be the jones' that your neighbors are trying to keep up with then do it.

Me I bought my 2016 knowing it would be with me for a while and also with the fact that it most likely has a lot of bugs worked out by now on this chassis.

I think that was good reasoning for buying a 2016. I find it interesting that my posts come across as though I've made up my mind. I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do. I'm interested in how much value others see in the new style Ford. I can easily justify spending $4-$5000 per year on depreciation. I've had the truck for 1 1/2 years so $7500 for depreciation makes sense. Is there an additional $8500 in the new style truck?
B&W Companion

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II

2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ so are you really asking opinions or just making conversation?
Base don your posts, you work your trucks, you know trucks and you know what it will cost.
Either you decide to spend the $$ or not.
If I was giving my opinion, go buy the truck. More people buy new $75k trucks, maybe there’s more low mile used trucks for everyone else.
Your country could use the economic kick too so do it for the queen!.... and the dividends from the Canadian company I work for! Haha
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
There are a LOT of people that are willing to trade every year or every other year. I used to do that, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me now.

With as many posts as I have seen you make lamenting the high cost of new vehicles, and that people are constantly over extending themselves, I am kind of surprised you would be considering an upgrade so soon.

It's your money, do what you want with it. If that means a new truck, go for it. I am sure the '17's are nicer than the '16's.

I look at it almost 180 degrees opposite as you. I paid $400 for my first truck. My first new truck I purchased in 1993 and didn't replace it until 2005. I tell my kids that building wealth when they are young is very important. If you succeed you should reach a point where it is good to be satisfied with what you have and storing up more becomes less important. I suppose there will get to be a time when the priority is to get rid of everything that doesn't fit in an 84 x 28 inch box.
B&W Companion

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded in my 2016 black platinum dually with 7500 miles on a new 2017 lariat 350 SRW. The difference was 8500
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
eHoefler wrote:
I have traded every 4-5 years and only pay $23,000-$25,000 difference. When I traded for the 14, I even went with a hogher trim level.

There are several reasons why it would costs me so much to run a new truck: I think vehicles depreciate a little faster in Canada vs the US. The more options you get the harder you're hit with depreciation and the new 2017 Platinums are loaded. I believe the new Ford is a more expensive truck than the outgoing model so there is an initial cost to trade up to the bigger better newer whatever. The most economical thing to do would likely be to run what I have till the wheels fall off.....and I could see myself doing just that.
B&W Companion

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have traded every 4-5 years and only pay $23,000-$25,000 difference. When I traded for the 14, I even went with a hogher trim level.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The way I'm looking at it is like this:

If I keep my current truck it will likely only be for 4 more years. At that time it will likely cost me about 45k to upgrade. If I upgrade now for 16k and again in 4 years for 32k I will have put out $48000 total over the next 4 years....not a big difference one way vs the other. Likely if I do it now I won't do it again for more like 6 years so it could end up being very close to a wash one way vs the other.
B&W Companion

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I am thinking the difference would be about $16k. I'll know more in a few days.

That's probably a pretty good difference to upgrade to the new style truck. Saying that I was offered a similar upgrade a couple of years ago ($20K) for 3 model years newer and ended up keeping my truck. I guess I'm just getting cheap as I get older. :B Plus our next vehicle purchase better be a newer Acura MDX to replace my wife's 2005 model or things could get a little ugly around here....:E
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
All I'm going to say is don't test drive one unless your financial position is prepared.

I'm thinking the 2019 6.7PSD will reach the 1,000 ft/lbs plus and if so I'm pulling the trigger and no questions will be asked from this forum. :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the 2017’s and can’t quite bring myself to pay a lot more money for basically a F150 with Super Duty guts. In many ways is seems like a downgrade.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Man, I’m still trying to ‘catch up’ to your super awesome white 2011.

I did get to upgrade from the 2000 Town Car to the 08 F150 earlier this year...I feel high style man.

Enjoy the new’er truck man.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't trade it in, the 19 model will be out and will always be better then the 18 model..... That's what always happens, I still have the 09 gmc and would not trade it cause it still runs and does everything I need it to do without any payment....plus it's only got 83 k on it....still new to me. At 44 I'm just not seeing the need to have the newest or greatest things.... I like listening to Dave Ramsey...makes a lot of sense to me. But to each there own, if u decide to then it's ur pocket book. Good luck on your decision and enjoy camping!
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.