cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

balloonpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Travel Trailer Bunk Bed Rails.

I picked these up from a bunk bed store and cut em down. They already matched as far as the stain/color. The Ladders were purchased from the same store. I went through the plywood only on top and bottom of the bed with the brackets. Therefor I used boards on the bottom side to keep the bolts from pulling through. The brackets are from home depot and are 10 times stronger than they appear. I can stand on the bottom bunk pull hard and they hardly give at all.

cool mod!

My only concern would be someone getting scratched on the nut/end of bolt above the mattress.
I would suggest acorn nuts on the bolts for a smooth finish.

pdmac1946
Explorer
Explorer
Needed grab bars in the standup shower in my TT. Didn't want to get involved in reinforcing the walls. Ended up getting two rv screen door grab bars, cut them down and mounted them on both sides to the metal frame of the glass enclosure about 30" from the floor. Drilled holes in bottom of each for drainage. Easy to grab and strong. Not expensive.

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very nice, installation looks great! That was a great idea to use the additional boards below the bunks for the bolts to have something thicker to grab onto. Well done!
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Duramax)

Aluminum_Siding
Explorer
Explorer
Travel Trailer Bunk Bed Rails.

I picked these up from a bunk bed store and cut em down. They already matched as far as the stain/color. The Ladders were purchased from the same store. I went through the plywood only on top and bottom of the bed with the brackets. Therefor I used boards on the bottom side to keep the bolts from pulling through. The brackets are from home depot and are 10 times stronger than they appear. I can stand on the bottom bunk pull hard and they hardly give at all.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm... I thought I was subscribed to this thread! Great stuff everyone!

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Tennessee_Nomad wrote:
My first two mods of the winter. Labor savers...
First, adapted a socket for the electric screwdriver to make cranking the stabilizer jacks much easier.
Second, replaced the manual jack with a spiffy new Atwood 3500lb electric model.
================================

Both are good mod's but I did one better.
We just bought a 2014 trailer with electric/remote stabilizers & electric hitch jack.... :B :R
Happy trails,
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
My first two mods of the winter. Labor savers...

First, adapted a socket for the electric screwdriver to make cranking the stabilizer jacks much easier.

Second, replaced the manual jack with a spiffy new Atwood 3500lb electric model.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

Mr_Ðorfmeister
Explorer
Explorer
Nice mod there PennyPA.
//Majk
Trailer: KABE Royal Hacienda 880 BTDL '07
Car: Dodge Nitro SLT 2.8CRD '09
Website: Ðorfmeister´s homepage (you will prodably dont understand a thing, it´s in swedish ;))

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
The Miracle Grow is for our plants. And that's only part of our "stuff". We're fulltimers so everything we own goes with us...not counting the "stuff' we have in storage. And no, I don't know why we still have stuff in storage. One of these summer days, we'll get back to PA and clean that out, I guess.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PennyPA wrote:
It's not fully extended here because he still hadn't bolted down the other end. Now, to buy lots of plastic storage bins and put everything in them!

WOW! You take a lot of stuff with you! Gotta ask though - what is the Miracle Grow for?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
There was a panel above the pantry with nothing but empty space behind it so he also made a door and slide shelf up there where we store the little-used stuff. The stain doesn't quite match the pantry door but it's close enough.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/PennyPA/001%20-%20Just%20Stuff/IMAG0573.jpg

I started out (in 2004) by hanging small spice jars on the velcro on the door. Didn't work as planned. Then they went into the bowl. That was a mess, too. Just never took the velcro off.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
PennyPA, Thanks for the sources.. A few more quick questions?
Did your son make the drawers, or was he able to purchase them already made?

I'm not able to see the Sliding blot locks on any of the drawers, was that added after the picture was taken?

what is the Velcro used for on the door of the cabinet with the spice rack?

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
If you measure very carefully, he will be glad to make the spice rack slides for you. Or, if you want to come to Las Vegas and stay at the Hitchin' Post RV Park (reasonably close to his home), he'll make the pantry and/or basement slides for you, LOL.

He got the pantry and spice rack slides at: Rockler.

Wood from Home Depot.

Basement slide stuff from Amazon. The only thing he'd change on the basement slides would be to make sure he got "detachable" rails where you can detach the two inner sections from the main section in order to be able to use more of the screw holes into the wood.

He set the slides back from the front about an inch so he could drill holes into the upright 2 x 4 and we installed sliding barrel bolt locks on either side to keep the slide in place when we're driving down the road.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

pchartrand
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to hire your son do do mine next... That is so awesome!!! I particularly like the spice racks, but everything looks great. Do you know where he got any of the supplies?

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Penny PA - I need to borrow your son for 2-3 weeks! Good job.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW