cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Batteries---$150-$200 . . . X2---ouch!!

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I was aware my truck had two batteries when I bought it, but honestly, never gave it much thought at the time. Kinda just made a mental note about the $100-$150 fuel filters, larger E-rated tires, and the 3-4 quarts of extra oil.

While helping a friend (with a diesel) shop for batteries the reality hit me---it's going to cost approx. 3X more to replace the batteries on a diesel vs. a typical 1/2 ton gasser !

Curious, how long do diesel batteries typically last? I usually get 3-5 years out of my gasser batteries.
78 REPLIES 78

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
billyray50 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"The rear fuel filter is a major pain in the butt though... "

Please explain. I have changed mine twice with no issues at all.

No need to explain when we have a video.

Ram Fuel Filter Change

There are MUCH easier ways to accomplish that task!!!

I watched this video after buying the new truck. Watched another video too regarding rear filter. Cummins12v98 I had a issue with the front filter cover being a bear to loosen from the factory regarding first front filter change. Also noticed it was little harder for my 5'9" frame to reach the front filter compared to my previous 2006 ram 5.9 CTD which I changed for 9 years. The rear was just a pain because of where it is located. Also can be messy since there is still more diesel in the canister after draining. Please show me easier ways to do this. Pics and or video would be great.

Cummins probably removes the bed to access the fuel filter just like he removes the intake duct to access that pita oil filter. :B

Now thats funny ,but so true on the oil filter, just crazy having to do that :R

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
billyray50 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ram Fuel Filter Change

I watched this video after buying the new truck. Watched another video too regarding rear filter. Cummins12v98 I had a issue with the front filter cover being a bear to loosen from the factory regarding first front filter change. Also noticed it was little harder for my 5'9" frame to reach the front filter compared to my previous 2006 ram 5.9 CTD which I changed for 9 years. The rear was just a pain because of where it is located. Also can be messy since there is still more diesel in the canister after draining. Please show me easier ways to do this. Pics and or video would be great.

Cummins probably removes the bed to access the fuel filter just like he removes the intake duct to access that pita oil filter. :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ram Fuel Filter Change

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Yes the OE batteries typically are a bit higher aH rated than a single battery gasser truck, I think, but even that is not really needed save for cold weather.

Especially if you have a Cummins............
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ram Fuel Filter Change

And what would that be, yes he could of drained it first with a hose, and yes he could have been in a little different environment, but not everyone had a nice garage to do it in. Other then that it looked just like the PITA when I did it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Just like any other product you can find a deal or you can pay big bucks. Nothing magical about "diesel" batteries.
Yes the OE batteries typically are a bit higher aH rated than a single battery gasser truck, I think, but even that is not really needed save for cold weather.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I replaced the batteries in my 2005 Ram after nine years just for peace of mind on a trip. They never gave me any trouble. I give them to my FIL and he still uses them on his tractor. They will be 12 years old in Jan. My truck is garaged though.

Who makes the batteries for Chrysler?

I'm not sure but I think Johnson Control made them at that time. There are only a handful of companies that actually make the batteries. I believe also that the different batteries for the different model vehicles are made by different suppliers. It depends on who has the contract for a particular battery. I put Walmart batteries back on it.

Replaced mine with MOPAR dealer had them on sale for $99 + a 10 percent discount $189 out the door.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ram Fuel Filter Change

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I put Motorcraft MAX batteries in my Ram a few years ago because they were on sale and have a good warranty. My dealer sells Mopar and Ford products.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
I replaced the batteries in my 2005 Ram after nine years just for peace of mind on a trip. They never gave me any trouble. I give them to my FIL and he still uses them on his tractor. They will be 12 years old in Jan. My truck is garaged though.

I'm not sure but I think Johnson Control made them at that time. There are only a handful of companies that actually make the batteries. I believe also that the different batteries for the different model vehicles are made by different suppliers. It depends on who has the contract for a particular battery. I put Walmart batteries back on it.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Ram Fuel Filter Change

gwalter
Explorer III
Explorer III
The batteries are definitely expensive. I had to replace my original ones yesterday after 6.5 years. I called all over the Springs and everyone was with $5 in price for a Group 94 battery. They were $184 each.

On the other hand I can't complain because I get my fuel filters for free. My brother in law is Onan/Cummins certified and works on large generators for care homes and hospitals and keeps them in stock. He gives me one when I need it because I help him out from time to time with installations.
2010 Ram 3500 Laramie
2021 Bighorn 3120 RK
B & W Companion Hitch
Air Bags

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Yes, I was aware my truck had two batteries when I bought it, but honestly, never gave it much thought at the time. Kinda just made a mental note about the $100-$150 fuel filters, larger E-rated tires, and the 3-4 quarts of extra oil.

While helping a friend (with a diesel) shop for batteries the reality hit me---it's going to cost approx. 3X more to replace the batteries on a diesel vs. a typical 1/2 ton gasser !

Curious, how long do diesel batteries typically last? I usually get 3-5 years out of my gasser batteries.

hardly. on my duramax new delco batteries were about 100 each, and they are not a unique battery, just two of them.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

For the average person laying on their back draining diesel fuel out of the filter ,and removing, is just a blast, hell ya its a PITA . The cummins compared to other motors is more difficult in the maintenance side of thinks. Taking turbo hoses off, buying special tools, just the awkwardness of changing filters is a PITA.

How many threads on other trucks do you see on just the subject of removing the engine bay fuel filter cap, or what way is better thru the fender or taking parts off the motor to remove the oil filter, no other truck comes to mind other then the Cummins.

Why try to minimize the fact it is not that pleasant to do some of the maintenance on the Cummins , but a necessary evil . ๐Ÿ˜ž