Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Exhaust Brake

ducksquasher
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Looking at stepping up to a new truck and a diesel for the first time. I am looking for guidance on exhaust brakes and any differences between GM, Ford and Dodge?

Thanks in advance!
33 REPLIES 33

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi... I have a 2016 dodge with factory installed ex brake and love it. I use it a lot in the co., ca, and wy mountains. Save on the truck and the trailer brakes. I did not use it much on a recent trip to Nashville, Tn.. Jim2007...
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
My previous diesel (1994 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD dually) had the Jacobs RamBrake installed. It was great when towing the fifth wheel at a GCW of 21,180 lbs. over the Continental Divide, the Cascades, and the Sierras. It was even nice when just driving around town, or when hauling 35 bales of hay.
My current truck does not have an exhaust brake. I miss it. But, I don't miss it enough to spend the $1000 or more to have one installed!
However, if we were to get rid of the motorhome and get a toyhauler (not likely), that would change
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
These guys are right about the turbo brakes. All very similar across the 3 models now.
The one main difference on the market right now, if an exhaust brake isn't enough to blow your hair back, Pacbtake offers an aftermarket engine retarder that works in conjunction with the exhaust brake. Supposed to double the braking power. It sounds pretty sweet if you're towing heavy in the mountains a lot.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
ScottG wrote:
The ex brake is the same in all of them.
It is part of the turbo and should be used continuously to keep it from sticking.

well, no an exhaust brake is usually installed seperate from the turbo. every one I've seen is downstream of the turbo. yes, the turbo can vary the vains to provide some additional restriction, but an exhaust brake is completely differnent.

And I've never heard it should be used continously to avoid sticking.

and no, it is NOT the same on all three mfg. similar performance, yes, but the same absolutely NOT.

To clarify, I'm talking about NEW trucks. They all use a VGT for ex brake operation. That means the turbo itself acts as the EB. There is nothing down line like the units PacBrake or any of the other aftermarket companies were making for older, non-VGT equiped diesel engines.
Also, the EB needs to be used reularly in a VGT because the vanes will stick otherwise.
Frankly, I prefer the older system.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
ScottG wrote:
It is part of the turbo and should be used continuously to keep it from sticking.

well, no an exhaust brake is usually installed seperate from the turbo. every one I've seen is downstream of the turbo. yes, the turbo can vary the vains to provide some additional restriction, but an exhaust brake is completely differnent.

and no, it is NOT the same on all three mfg. similar performance, yes, but the same absolutely NOT.

You need to do a little research on turbo's and exhaust brakes.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
"An exhaust brake is a means of slowing a diesel engine by closing off the exhaust path from the engine, causing the exhaust gases to be compressed in the exhaust manifold, and in the cylinder."

This can be done with a variable turbo or an external butterfly. It doesn't matter how the exhaust is closed off just as long as it is closed off.

All of the exhaust brakes on Ram/Ford/GM are part of the turbo. There isn't a OEM exhaust brake that isn't.

The Dodge 5.9L started with a DIO (dealer installed option) exhaust brake that was first controlled by a mechanical switch and later the ECM and attached after the turbo. Originally they were on manual transmissions only and became DIO's for auto's in 2006 and OEM with 2007.5 with the 6.7L.

Yes they should be used often to allow the vanes to fully travel to reduce soot buildup. I'm not sure about Ford/GM but Ram does have programming that moves the vanes at startup; however, the best thing is to use them.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

twinstick
Explorer
Explorer
Your 2015.5 GMC in your signature uses the turbo as an exhaust brake. It doesn't have an actual exhaust brake. I've got the same lml motor in my 2011, the exhaust brake and tow/haul mode work great together. Coming down Mont eagle pulling about 12k I had to hit the gas to actually speed it up just a bit. I was thoroughly impressed.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
That would be the last of my concerns. I'd want the most comfortable truck for my butt. They all have pluses and minuses. None are perfect.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I have an exhaust brake on my 05 and it's a game changer for mountain towing. 5th gear with the EB on can hold 22K at 60 on a 6% grade without any brakes.

lc0338 wrote:
RAM exhaust brake is on all the time. Tow/Haul mode is selectable

They are both selectable, and have been since day 1.

I haven't looked recently but GM and Ford weren't selectable for a long time but I vaguely recall they finally being selectable.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can tell you my Cummins locked in 2nd controlled my 33K combined load down miles of 14 percent grade at 30-35mph.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
lc0338 wrote:

WHHHHAAAATTTTT??????

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Had an 01 3500 RAM 5 speed pre DEF pre Exhaust brake. Had a pacbrake installed. Loved it.
Upgraded to 2014 5500 RAM automatic (have to special order stick shift). was skeptical about exhaust brake although it comes already installed. Automatic's with exhaust brake are not as good as with stick shift... however... I had the tow / haul package installed and TOGETHER tow / haul ON and exhaust brake it works wonderful on new automatic transmission truck. Happy with automatic transmission so far and pulled 5th wheel trailer in colorado mountains and have to use manual brake very little 🙂