cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel turbo timers

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for a cool down timer for my truck. I have a 2012 Ram 4x4 with 6.7 Cummins. I am looking for a plug in or wire in timer that DOES NOT include a performance chip. I have called all of my local dealers, repair shops, performance shops, etc. and have had no luck. One shop even refused to sell one because "You don't need one". The question is not whether or not I need one, the question is does anyone know where I can BUY one? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
14 REPLIES 14

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
New ones not so much, put an EGT gauge on it and wait for it too cool down.
I am surprised some time when the EGT is at 350 coming into a parking lot.

The other issue is remembering to shut off the Exhaust Brake in advance so it isn't 600 degrees, when I park.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
mdamerell wrote:
BD Turbo Cool Down Timer 2

or

Turbo Cool Down Timer (1081160)

I don't need one, but if I did, I would buy BD's.......Stay cool :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
2006 Cummins ISB 5.9

I will idle until the EGT is below 380F. If downhill to the stop, or along streets, or empty truck this takes from 0 to 30 seconds. The other extreme is if we pull over at the viewpoint at the top of a long grade pulling 950F to 1050F EGT - idle time of 3 - 5 minutes to EGT 380F.

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
I have all sort of gauges monitoring everything including 2 Pyro`s 1ea in both manifolds , I do not see any reason to put a timer on my twinned 6.6, after a long pull and coming off the ramp into a fuel station it has cooled just fine with out me sitting in the seat for several minutes. Dont get me wrong, I love all the toys I have on my truck but a timer IMO is something i do not really see a need for, and I do see temps in the 1200 degree range especially running the hot tow tune
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you pulled the hill and turned it off right when you got to the top you are not really going to be in this position. The normal get off the highway, drive a couple miles to the campground or to the house will allow exhaust temps to cool. Most times it will take 3-5 minutes for someone to get from a high load situation to a it's parked location. It does not have to sit and idle for 3-5 minutes just needs to be a low load condition.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Westach boost/EGT gage on my Dodge/Cummins. I use it to determine shut down temps.
Most of the time 3-5 min works fine however in 100-115 degree outside temps it can take up to 10-15 min before the EGT cools down to proper shutdown temps.

The EGT gage dispels many rumors floating around on the internet.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

When in doubt, go to the 'source':

From Cummins.com - Performance Tips wrote:
PerformanceTips Print Print Share Share
Operation Tips

It is best to operate your CELECT-equipped Cummins engine at speeds between 1450 and 1550 rpm.

Cummins M11 and N14 engines should operate with coolant temperatures between 158ยฐF and 212ยฐF.

Whenever an engine has been inoperative for more than 30 days, Cummins recommends disconnecting the wire to the fuel shut-off valve and cranking the engine until oil pressure registers on the gauge before starting the engine. This practice will prevent "dry starts" and allow oil to bearings and shafts prior to starting the engine. A toggle switch can be wired into the starting system for this.

Never operate your engine beyond high idle speed under any circumstances. When descending a steep grade, use a combination of transmission gears and engine or service brakes to control the vehicle and engine speed to less than governed rpm. Failure to do this can cause engine damage.

Allow the engine to idle 3 to 5 minutes before shutting it off after a full load operation. This allows the lubrication oil and coolant to carry heat away from the combustion chamber, bearings, shafts and turbocharger and helps prevent carboning the engine oil.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you stop while in a big hard pull its not necassary.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
They were right, your 2012 don't need one. The newer vehicles are pretty smart, they won' t let you destroy them as in years past.

Huh ! my 2014 Ram 6.7 has the cool down times in the manual

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Viper alarm with a remote start. If I hit the remote start with the engine running, it will keep it running with the key removed for up to 10 minutes (programmable timer in the alarm). Also works for starting it as I walk up so the oil has a chance to get everywhere by the time my seat belt is on. Another option...
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
They were right, your 2012 don't need one. The newer vehicles are pretty smart, they won' t let you destroy them as in years past.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Added insurance - Gale Banks says a full synthetic engine oil will not coke in turbo bearings.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
Edge insight cts.Has a timer and can watch all your temps on everything
plus has a back up camera hook up.No tuning etc. needed
love mine
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
BD Turbo Cool Down Timer 2

or

Turbo Cool Down Timer (1081160)
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.