cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel vs gas for truck campers?

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Have posted a few questios phere on the truck camper forum asking for help in down sizing to a TC and thanks for the help so far, I have been going over the weights of the TC's that we have looked at and all are over weight for my truck(07 Chevy 3500HD long bed Ext cab dual rear wheel diesel) but I do understand I can add suspension upgrades and maybe handle the bigger units but looking at replacing the truck and with the gas trucks having more capacity my question is do the gas 3500 or 350's handle the load of a heavy TC ? I know about towing and my current diesel is great for pulling around a 15k fifth wheel but do you need the diesel to have a good truck setup for a TC . Some of the newer 3500's and 350 have much higher load capacities when they have the gas motor. I think Chevy is around 7200 and ram may be higher with gvwr's around 13000 compared to my 07 at 11400. Thanks for any help and info
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's
140 REPLIES 140

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
TOU,
Welcome to the TC forum. I see you joined today. Your tome was a good read and it was obvious to me that you have a lot of experience towing with an assortment of tried and true power plants and trannies. I've always though a GM 454 was a wonderful V-8 to tow stuff with, especially with the old TH400 trans. It is definitely old tech now, so from about 1999 to the end of production I was liking the Ford V-10 and the Dodge V-10 with their massive torque albeit short lived automatic transmissions. I drove a 2005 class C MoHo with the 8.1L GM V-8 engine and newest Allison trans and was amazed how much power and amazing mpg the power plant generated pushing that 29' 15K pound windbreak down the highway. However, having towed a lot can give you a false impression of what it takes to actually carry a truck camper. The TC is a different animal. You need a lot more axle, spring and secondary spring capacity; anti-sway and tire capacity, and wheel capacity on the rear axle as that's where most of the added TC weight resides. These are my new 10" W Stockton Steel 'Power Wagon' Wheels with 1/2" plate hubs and a stupid high capacity for the rear axle along with my new 35", 3860 pound capacity (7720 pound capy for the axle) AT3 tires:

For the largest TC's, this means DRW's, or in my case for 10 years, super singles with high load capacity wheels.

I would say it's a change of paradigm going from towing big loads to carrying big loads. To test my Dodge 2500 with all the weight carrying upgrades I needed a lot of crushed rock for a project and loaded the short bed several times with 5000 pounds of rock. With 3 secondary leaf springs up top, Stable Loads and an added helper in the main pack (8 leaves total) the deflection was 3 inches. As it stands, it's kind of a 3 stage system. Unloaded the ride is a little worse than the stock set up. second, the helper compresses to actuate the stable loads progressively pushing against the 3 upper secondaries. This is when the entire load is carried by all 8 leaves.

The ride did not suffer. No lean in the corners. The Rancho shocks were on 8. The only woe was pulling our 'hill' and I had to keep shifting down to have enough twist to get it up. And, I was happy I did not have to stop that thing going downhill.
I'm liking your V-8 GM thinking, but only if you are NOT going to put a lot of miles on the rig. The low gas prices won't last forever. For pure longevity, endurance and torque for the hills, and for a very long haul (more than 200K miles) the Cummins finally starts to pay for itself and payoff the $5-10K diesel penalty you had to pay . My '01 had only a $4200 diesel penalty at the start of the Diesel Warz. I still like the Cummins power in whatever guise it takes. My next-door neighbor Jim, asked me about my Cummins a few yeas ago as he had a line on a $7K used one of the same year. He bought it with 279K miles on it. It now has 300K miles on the original engine and is going strong. Then again, he has the sucky auto trans for Dodge in 2001. Two doors down my neighbor Ken bought a 1995 Dodge 2500, 4WD V-10 with 60K miles on it. $3500 out the door. It has been bullet proof. Plenty of power and torque if you can keep gas in the tank.
Again, welcome to the TC band. I'm sure you will add a lot to the outlook of this motley crew.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
While the 8.1/Allison was a great combo, they stopped making those trucks in 2007 and then only had them out for 6 years. If you remember, fuel was at an all time high in this era and diesel was selling more than ever. Point is, as much as it is one of the better gas options, best case IF you can find a clean low mile truck...its 10 years old already.

A better gas option is a Ford V10 having similar numbers in power you can find a newer truck. But the 6.2 ford offers and the 6.4 ram offers today have as much or more power with the side benefit of better economy and can be had in a new truck.

The 8.1 was good but it's old and not many were sold.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Bob__B
Explorer
Explorer
The Allison was a big part of the reason I got my truck ..... I didn't know it was offered with a gas engine or I would have looked into that more.....But so far, I am extremely happy with the Duramax.
I think they have solved the injector problem they used to have.....I'm hoping to avoid those expensive repairs.

I am getting 11-13 MPG with my camper and pulling boat depending on wind. I am getting 16-19 empty....and I use it empty quite a bit.
If you figure 4-5 MPG or more difference over 100,000 miles, you will more than pay for the extra up front cost of the diesel....and you can put a lot more miles on a diesel before wearing it out......If you see a used diesel with 175k on it no on even blinks .... 175K on a gasser would be a big deal though.

I'm doing my own oil and filter changes to save on routine costs, but admittedly don't know how to do much else to the diesel.

When I trade or sell the truck, I will get most of that cost difference back also.

My brother has a small light travel trailer and I let him use my truck to go on a trip....He was pretty amazed by it and got a little over 13MPG on his trip...... but when he went looking for a used truck, he got a C1500 with the smaller V8 ....He thought that setup for his small camper would beat the mileage he got with mine.
He just went to Colorado on a trip and got 8-9MPG and struggled on the hills.....He is really kicking himself for not going with a more powerful engine.
2007 Lance 1181, 2013 Chevy 3500 DRW

TOU-47
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

First off, to each their own as we all have different needs, goals and values...and budgets both in initial purchase, daily use and down stream costs. On that note I thought I would share several points and my thoughts on my decision making in selecting a rig for my needs.

To me...if towing 20-30k miles a year, make a living with it, live out of it or tow excessive loads...especially in the mountains...I wholeheartedly agree with a diesel. If not doing any of the above...I personally (JMHO) have a harder time cost justifying diesels...for the extra fuel cost, regular maintenance cost, repair cost and the on average additional $10k cost...used or new.

However I am surprised in all these pages of posts that no one has mentioned the low revving torque monster GM 8.1L gasser with the amazing Allison trans. (same as the Duramax.) Terrible gas mileage but they work...I'm not so sure any of them are great for mileage when towing or hauling.

Next, my personal needs were to use a truck to hunt in Utah snow & mud as well as haul Travel Trailers', Toy-Haulers, hay, wood, 4-horse trailers. When I when I was looking at various 2500HD tow rigs, I was really up in the air as to what my next rig would be as the 1500 just wasn't cutting it for my evolving needs. I was mainly deciding between a Dodge Cummins of various years, Duramax/Allison combo and...8.1L/Allison combo (2000'-2007') Wasn't interested in a Dodge gasser, Ford 6.0L PS diesel or the earlier 6.7 PS diesels & couldn't afford the newer ones. For various reasons the Dodge eventually fell out of the running even though I think they have a fantastic diesel.

My belief is that half the secret to the GM Duramax is not just the motor, but the Allison tranny & Corp 14 bolt rear end. Many people don't know that the GM 8.1L gasser has the same Allison tranny as the Duramax and...trucks only. (The SUV & Avalanche 8.1L didn't get the Allison nor did the GM trucks with 6.0L gas does NOT have this trans either. They still have the relatively bulletproof 4L80-E automatic but isn't rated to handle the increased torque of the other two GM 2500HD motors in this application.)

Arguably the Allison may be one of the best trans ever made for any truck for work/towing & was an industry game changer and pushed Ford & Dodge to catch up in this area. JMHO. Additional plusses of the Allison is evenly spaced gear ratios and engine grade braking. (In Tow-Haul mode.) Also, while I have not done this, my understanding is that the Allison trans also offers a bolt-on power take-off feature that allows owners to run PTO-driven equipment such as a hydraulic pump on-site via instrument panel-mounted PTO controls.

My needs... were to pull, a 4 horse trailer, haul/tow occasion load of hay/wood, pull ATV's/snowmobiles as well as a 6700#/32' travel trailer...but for only a total of 4k-7k miles a year max...in and around the mountains of Utah. (Your driving at least 1 pass each way it seems.) Around the same time, I was rebuilding my 2003 GMC Yukon XL's 5.3L's top end ($1,850) and rebuilt the tranny 6 months later ($2,200). Additionally, two different friends were having work done on their Duramax's. One had injectors pumps etc. done for north of $4,500k & another had the top end done for about $4,900. WOW! Of note, IF...you ever had to do all injectors on a GM gasser, it is less than $1k and is essentially DIY plug and play. Of course you virtually will never need to replace all 8 injectors in a gasser ever...maybe 1-2. Fuel pumps...yes but cheaper and doable as well. Then I checked on doing the top end on the GM 8.1L gas...$2-$2.5k. Hmmm...now I was thinking...

Next, I spent a couple of hours polling ALL the mechanics & service managers at my local friendly GM dealers. Interestingly, through the years, they had ALL owned Duramax's including newer ones but with the exception of one mechanic, they had all sold them and instead had bought 8.1L/Allison combo's for towing/hauling etc. some times actually buying an older truck than the Duramax they had sold. Again, a comparable Duramax vs the 8.1L is $10,000 more whether new or used.

FYI in 2001: (The year of truck I ended up buying used.)

GM 6.0 L gas = 360 # torque, towing 9,200-10,500 pounds with 4.10 rear

GM 8.1L gas = 455 # torque & nets an impressive 12,000 $ towing capacity regardless of cab style or bed length.

GM Duramax 6.6L diesel = 520 # torque & rated to tow the same amount in all configurations with its standard 3.73 rear axle ratio.

"With a Fifth Wheel trailer & 4.10 gears the numbers go even higher; able to tow a 15,500-pound trailer of this type. That rating goes down 2,000 pounds with the taller 3.73 ratio. The truck with the highest Fifth-Wheel towing-capacity honors goes to a regular-cab long-bed Silverado 2500 HD with the Vortec 8.1L engine and 4.10 gears. It'll tow a whopping 15,900 pounds — more than any of the one-ton trucks or even any of the diesels."

While the Duramax's mpg is all over the place depending on chipping, gears, towing or not towing, loaded or not it tends to be better than the 2 gas offerings when empty but similar when towing equally heavy loads....no matter which chip/setting etc...according to my VP of Sales Edge Chip neighbor. Also, while some will brag about getting 20-25 mpg towing up hill...in a head wind...while pulling 15,000 pounds...he tells me not possible. 😉

The 8.1L gas is consistently around 10-12 empty...8-10 towing...it sucks but easier to swallow if you have the long box (35 gallon tank and not driving so far empty or as a daily town driver.) I also think the extra gas cost when not hauling or towing, worth it compared to the upfront and down stream cost of diesels...again for my needs...and the amount I drive it. YMMV etc. BTW, the 6.0L is 1-2 more mpg but is very high revving and while it is solid, has a lesser trans. BTW...after a cold air intake, K/N didn't, cat back dual exhaust...mileage didn't change at all. Going the other way...even with an +8" lift & 35" tires I don't think my mileage changed 0.5 mpg...its just always bad. LOL 🙂

Now...a ton of words later, I am here as I'm looking at hauling a TC while towing 2 quads or a very light boat. And like many when purchasing, I didn't pay as much attention to pay loads as torque & towing capabilities. While not ruling out a diesel after eventual retirement when I may live out of a rig while traveling, I think that I will still be fine. I will likely continue to run my GM 2500 HD, Crew-Cab, LB, 8.1L gasser for quite a while but thought I would share my decision making process and input on what rig I chose.

All the best!

TOU

djg
Explorer
Explorer
My 1995 F350 has 215 HP and 425 FT/lb torque with a banks intake (which might increase it a little) hauling about 3000 LB camper lots of get up and go, the fuel mileage is great at 13.25 mpg US gal hand calculated no truck payments or big outlay to get the truck (but I also drive 55 to 57 mph retired never in a hurry). Had a Chev 1500 with a light camper same mileage but always big rpm also had a 2010 F250 gasser good power but low fuel mileage. Diesel almost never downshifts and just cruises right along, love the diesel but repairs are definetly more expensive.

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
work2fish wrote:
Big mountains eat weak motors for lunch.

I agree but transmissions are the dessert!

If the engine isn't working as hard, it makes it much easier for the truck's cooling system to dump the heat the transmission is generating. Plus the higher torque output allows the transmission to operate in a higher gear and thus reduces the heat being generated in the first place.

Both of which tend to help transmissions live long happy lives.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
work2fish wrote:
Big mountains eat weak motors for lunch.

I agree but transmissions are the dessert!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

work2fish
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Plenty of us would give up some power for better fuel economy. If you are just hauling a 3000-5000 lb TC around, any of the gassers will do fine. Once you hitch up the same or twice that weight behind the truck and TC is when you will appreciate having a diesel.

It's not just the load, but also where you drive it. Big mountains eat weak motors for lunch. I have a light popup and pull a boat and the diesel is worth every penny for mountain driving.
2011 Ford F-350, KR, 6.7L, 4X4, SRW, short bed
2007 Northstar 850SC truck camper
2002 Lund Fisherman 1700 w/ Suzuki DF140

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Plenty of us would give up some power for better fuel economy. If you are just hauling a 3000-5000 lb TC around, any of the gassers will do fine. Once you hitch up the same or twice that weight behind the truck and TC is when you will appreciate having a diesel.

With twice the torque the 6.7 will be working HALF as hard as the 6.2 gasser no matter what the load, so MPG is going to be better in every case.
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
Some numbers to consider for those saying a gasser is just as good

2017 Ford spec's.
6.7L diesel = 440 HP/925 TQ
6.2L gasser = 385 HP/430 TQ

I wish I had less power....said no one ever!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Vinsil wrote:
As cool as the factory air ride is... I believe I read it had a 3000k limit and that won't work for the huge TC your considering.

I think you're right, the 2500 model air ride dies somewhere a little over 3000lbs. That hot shot driver on here that pulls with a 2500 ram air ride posted his real world pin weight that maxed it out.
I wouldn't think the 3500 air assist is nearly that limited. Haven't seen anyone holding up a big camper yet on here with the 3500 air bag rear end though.

Ah I may have read that about the 2500 since that was what I was looking at at the time. I would hope the 3500 does better...

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a diesel to handle a 5,000 lb. TC, but when you get into triple slide, high cg, 6,000 lb. TC's and might tow, then a diesel 550/5500 truck is the comfortable way to do it.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Some numbers to consider for those saying a gasser is just as good

2017 Ford spec's.
6.7L diesel = 440 HP/925 TQ
6.2L gasser = 385 HP/430 TQ

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Vinsil wrote:
As cool as the factory air ride is... I believe I read it had a 3000k limit and that won't work for the huge TC your considering.

I think you're right, the 2500 model air ride dies somewhere a little over 3000lbs. That hot shot driver on here that pulls with a 2500 ram air ride posted his real world pin weight that maxed it out.
I wouldn't think the 3500 air assist is nearly that limited. Haven't seen anyone holding up a big camper yet on here with the 3500 air bag rear end though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold